• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

should disc golf be an option as a sport in our public schools?

discordye

Eagle Member
I don't know if my kids will like disc someday but if they do I'm starting leagues at they're school, I heard its offered in some regions but i think it should be an option for all schools.

Ball golf is not even an option at all schools. Disc golf is not even taught in most PE programs let alone recognized as a potential varsity sport.

It would be cool, but with the economy the way it is and other sports programs that are already in place being cut I doubt it will for a long time.

Why pressure kids into choosing sports that are mainstream? I hate every sport, besides disc, wish I had it as an option when I was a kid, I'm actually ashamed of the system for not accepting such a great game.

I hope not. I like it as it is, when a sport gets bigger the charm is lost on profit, greed, role model crap, many conflicts. If you want to promote the sport limit it to people who already want to play and do. I have had teachers want to buy discs from me but I say I have sold out because think of how you will ruin the course for the people who already support it. Imagine schools using the course for a whole season so you can't play, I say keep the sport small as it is, keep greed and smelly propriety out of it. The problem is that people look at "frisbee" golf as something even a retard can do so they bring the bus in and we need to wait to play another day. I think the game is doing just fine as it is.

Last edited:
Ball golf is not even an option at all schools. Disc golf is not even taught in most PE programs let alone recognized as a potential varsity sport.

Ball golf was an option at my old high school. I'm not sure if it still is since it's been like 14 years since I've been in high school.

Disc is a very cost efficient sport, economy? It would be great for the economy, look at hockey, how many discs and bags could you buy for the price of one season membership!

I hope not. I like it as it is, when a sport gets bigger the charm is lost on profit, greed, role model crap, many conflicts. If you want to promote the sport limit it to people who already want to play and do. I have had teachers want to buy discs from me but I say I have sold out because think of how you will ruin the course for the people who already support it. Imagine schools using the course for a whole season so you can't play, I say keep the sport small as it is, keep greed and smelly propriety out of it. The problem is that people look at "frisbee" golf as something even a retard can do so they bring the bus in and we need to wait to play another day. I think the game is doing just fine as it is.
Do you wish you started disc in 1st grade or whenever you discovered it, I don't know about everyone, but o want disc golf on Sunday night tv, but at the same time I wouldn't want the competition? And schools would make they're own courses! And probably public! More course for us too!

Disc is a very cost efficient sport, economy? It would be great for the economy, look at hockey, how many discs and bags could you buy for the price of one season membership!

I have had this same arguement before. I agree with you that it would be great, I am working on getting a course putt in at my school, the problem is the cost of a 9 holer is around $6,000 plus upkeep

soccer ball = $14, 2 official goals = $4,300 Total = $4314 for 22 people

44 discs (a driver and putter per player) = $300, 18 DGA MACH II = 4427. Total = 4,727 for 22 people

as far as teaching in schools substitute the goals with parking cones and you have nearly no cost, where if you substitute baskets with targets you lose alot of the essence of the game same with using regular frisbees

I have had this same arguement before. I agree with you that it would be great, I am working on getting a course putt in at my school, the problem is the cost of a 9 holer is around $6,000 plus upkeep
Very true, once its there, its there for years to come.

Why pressure kids into choosing sports that are mainstream? I hate every sport, besides disc, wish I had it as an option when I was a kid, I'm actually ashamed of the system for not accepting such a great game.

In Physical education you teach students the sports they can use or life long physical fitness. If there is no course for 30 miles, then the school wil not find it relevant. I teach it to my students, but very few other teachers in the area do because DC has no courses. Arlington, VA takes well over a half hour with traffic and the same for Calvert Park, MD.

The EDGE program is working to get disc golf into more schools. All Physical education catalogs have begun to sell disc golf stuff. It is growing rapidly.

It's coming along. It's played in P.E. in my high school, and I will be going to my second National Collegiate Disc Golf Tournament next year(Spring). About a month ago there were already more schools signed up than the amount that competed last year. It's growing, quickly.

I think schools that are absolutely horrible at conventional sports should at least form dg leagues.

i don't want to risk polluting the scene by potentially mixing in a bunch of elitist pricks that spoil it for the other kids who find a "niche" in disc golf that they never really found in conventional athletics that demand more singlemindedness, athleticism, dedication, prickyness, and focus. no thanks.

Some of you guys are total DB's....

I think anyone that wants to keep a course to themselves and are unwilling to "share" the sport with folks (kids especially) that have yet to try it should be barred from playing....why did anyone "let" you start playing in the first place.

Public courses are not just for you, great lifetime fitness activities are not just for you, this is not some underground club that makes you cooler than others, and god for bid if more "athletes" start playing.... some of you might realize you're not as good as you think you are. you might even have to quit playing because the course is too crowded and you suck....i won't miss ya.

Latest posts