• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Should I be concerned about Gyro rim durability in rocky terrain?

hisdudeness47

Birdie Member
Album link here: https://imgur.com/a/2XtRdL7

Ugh...

Nothing like splintering and chunking rims in their course debut. Received these discs YESTERDAY. Poop. Feels Badman.

I can fix the splinters, I think. Missing chunks, not so much, I think. Was excited to be building an MVP bag but maybe they aren't cut out for the desert? Where my Nevada/California/Eastern Oregon/Southwest desert rat MVP throwers at?! You out there?

Any thoughts or tips are much appreciated!

Good god, that's horrible. I never did like the feel of MVP overmolds to begin with, and I especially wouldn't like them after that amount of splintering.

Some types of rock can very abusive to discs.

From my somewhat limited MVP experience, Neutron plastic seems to be as durable as any other options that I can think of on the market.

My friend has been throwing MVP Relays and Tangents. The rims on those have held up very well in our New England rocky terrain. Better than my Innova Star plastic drivers, actually.

You may be in an area that is going to chew up discs regardless of brand.

Or, maybe these batches of discs came out less durable for some reason.

I had similar issues on some new discs a couple years ago, kinda turned me off on their drivers. Haven't had any problems lately on their putters, mids or fission Wave. Similar wear to star plastic for me. I honestly think it varies some depending on run, though the gyronauts might disagree.

No, you should be specifically using Gyro rimmed discs on rocky terrain. Any other disc would have faired worse.

I disagree with some of the people here. I've had neutron gyro discs chunk up and get cut a little easier than a typical star or champ type disc. Don't even mention how terrible the durability is on their electron stuff. Electron FEELS great, but it gets damaged quicker than anything else I have ever thrown. I also suck.

I disagree with some of the people here. I've had neutron gyro discs chunk up and get cut a little easier than a typical star or champ type disc. Don't even mention how terrible the durability is on their electron stuff. Electron FEELS great, but it gets damaged quicker than anything else I have ever thrown. I also suck.

I agree with your disagreement. I've played 200+ rounds on this course as an Innova dominant player and more damage was done in one day today than arguably all those rounds combined. Never splintered or chunked discs like this before here. Especially not in one round. It is a rocky desert course and it beats up discs but this was pretty dramatic.

The worst damage was the SE Neutron Terra and that was a factory second so perhaps that was to blame? Hard to subscribe to that theory though when I chunked two other Neutron molds that weren't F2s on the same day.

I was under the impression that neutron was the most durable MVP/axiom plastic but when I brought up this episode to my local club FB group, a local all MVP player said that Proton is the most durable here, followed by Plasma. He says Neutron can be pretty weak sometimes, fwiw.

Despite all that, aren't the rims the same material on all the plastics anyway?

I haven't had any issues with the durability on my Streamline molds in neutron in terms of resistance to nicks and slices, and the pace at which the discs' stability change over time-- seems very similar to Star. We have a couple courses here in San Antonio that have some super sharp rocks that have taken good slices out of a lot of my discs-- whether Star, Champion, Goldline, Opto, or even Opto-X. The friends I have had during our rounds throwing overmold stuff have had some absolute chunks taken out of their rims. Slices and splinters can be melted back together over a stove burner, but when an entire chunk gets taken out and you can't recover the missing plastic, that's just a downer.

I haven't had any issues with the durability on my Streamline molds in neutron in terms of resistance to nicks and slices, and the pace at which the discs' stability change over time-- seems very similar to Star. We have a couple courses here in San Antonio that have some super sharp rocks that have taken good slices out of a lot of my discs-- whether Star, Champion, Goldline, Opto, or even Opto-X. The friends I have had during our rounds throwing overmold stuff have had some absolute chunks taken out of their rims. Slices and splinters can be melted back together over a stove burner, but when an entire chunk gets taken out and you can't recover the missing plastic, that's just a downer.

Definitely a downer. Kinda makes me want to use an old gyro mold and slice off chunks to melt into the gaps of my newer discs. This is probably more of a bad idea then a good one though.

I actually have an old ion that I just got for cheap on eBay, and the outer rim is peeling, kinda like an onion. It's not bad enough to make me care, it still flies great, but I've never had a regular disc delaminate like that.

That is some impressive damage but really not at all surprising. I've felt like the outer rim on Neutron wasn't very durable and more prone to damage. Playing courses like that I'd probably stick to Discraft Z and Innova Champion. Maybe Streamline Proton or whatever they call it would be better as well if you want an MVP product.

I dunno, I haven't thrown a lot of the new runs, I know there's plastic shortages, one of the reasons they modified the fission blend. I've had decent luck with my new stuff, I have to admit that's been a small sample size. I play on a rockpile, had some tragic hits but mostly I'm loyal because of early gyro experiences , it held up.

There's was some soft (rim wise) neutrons around 2018 and there's been a few other times.. Of course I'm biased because I have 3 fr inertia that are almost indestructible and many others from that era, had a round ruiner on a electron soft envy about 6 holes in. Just chewed it, had a cosmic e soft I trashed in the yard for two months... it's near perfect and got moved to the competition bag.

That's a lot of discs and a lot of bad luck, maybe MVP's on a soft rim cycle again. I do have a 4th run ion that got mangled to heck, by a rock and then me, wondering how much plastic it could lose before it became worthless. I was surprised how long it took to fly different.

My Fission Wave has a missing chunk like the Resistor pic. Might make it a bit more throwable for my extra noodle arm, actually.

However I throw DX Innova stuff at the moment, which gets torn up if you look at it wrong :D

I love throwing MVP and Axiom discs but their rims are really weak compared to other manufacturers. They slice up and get chunks out of them way faster than any other discs I've owned except for discs in baseline or pro type plastic. I've posted about it a few times in the their FB page and a lot of others agree. With all that said, I've been throwing an all overmold bag since 2019 and I really enjoy all of the discs I bag. If I played in rockier places I'd probably consider throwing other discs though.

Their rims are really easy to repair if you heat up a knife and put the splayed part back onto the rim. I've gotten really good at it.

I've had only a few cuts. But I used a hot butter knife to meld it back together and reshape it. Nothing like this though.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk