• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I dye color or black first in this design?

bmeyaard

Bogey Member
I am about to embark on my first multi color dye. Up to now it has only been black. This will be put on a white disc, with orange rather than the green shown here:

mauro01.jpg

My question to you experienced dyers is this: Should I do the black outlines first, or the colored background? Is there any way to do this with one layer of masking using multiple cuts, or will I need two?

Thanks for the advice!
-Ben

Last edited:
You can also get pretty good results doing all the trimming, dye black, peel orange areas and dip again without remaking the black. If your black is deep enough you won't see much if any difference from doing another color over the black. That's how did the black and red in my avatar pic. Then I remasked for orange and yellow dipping yellow over orange to save vinyl and time.

Last edited:
Do the black first. Then remove the vinyl from the areas that are to be orange, leaving the vinyl over the areas that are to remain white, and then dye the orange. Bang! You're done.

Well, not the cleanest thing I've seen ... but for my first color I'm actually quite pleased with the results.

I did the black first, and things got a little hot in the pan. I think that is why my contact paper bubbled and lifted in multiple places. It also led to the bleed on the right.

Next I did the orange, and while the dark orange is peeling off on my nail a bit when I scratch it, it should last for many rounds in this condition. I guess that's what I get for trying to dye dx plastic on my first try, eh?

Let me know what you think.
-Ben

Attachments

• beast box.jpg
    beast box.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 81
the darker orange that you say is scraping off, could that be residue from the contact paper? I quit using contact paper for just that reason, leaves a nasty sticky trail behind it most of the time. Vinyl is the way to go, less bleed chances, stands up a little better if you dip to early (hot dye) and comes off cleaner.

Is the area where the orange is scraping off the same area where you removed the stamp? It is hard to get the stamps off DX and the surface may have degraded a bit depending on what you used to remove it.
The residue from contact paper comes off with a quick wipe of goof-off with no damage to the dye.

contact paper -

hot water and a cotton towel will take off any residue. If you let the disc sit overnight you can use soap and warm water. Soap if used too soon will pull some dye out. It will not change the dye color, but you run the risk of lightly dying another part of the disc.

Not all contact papers are built the same. Some work like a champ others will help you ruin a disc. I found Kittrich Corporation kind to be the best. Get the clear non-glossy type (you may have to slightly open it) green and white backing paper. I buy it at Target.

Second the motion on the Target contact paper. 24'x18" rolls are about $8. Also get some Low-Tack Artists Tape to hold the paper down while cutting your design.

Latest posts