• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I play sidearm or learn backhand?

Lefty3

I've been playing for a couple of months. My problem is I can only throw backhand 150-200'. I can throw a mid range disc accurately backhand but not a driver. I can throw side arm 300'-350' with accuracy. Is ok to just drive sidearm? I watched a couple videos and most people say you can only get great distance with a backhand but it seems the opposite is the case for me. I've been trying to learn backhanded drives but lost 2 discs today in the process. Should I keep trying to learn or continue to drive sidearm?

I've been playing for a couple of months. My problem is I can only throw backhand 150-200'. I can throw a mid range disc accurately backhand but not a driver. I can throw side arm 300'-350' with accuracy. Is ok to just drive sidearm? I watched a couple videos and most people say you can only get great distance with a backhand but it seems the opposite is the case for me. I've been trying to learn backhanded drives but lost 2 discs today in the process. Should I keep trying to learn or continue to drive sidearm?

I would say both. Learn how to play backhand and learn how to play sidearm. It gives your versatility in your drives which will improve your game.

I would use sidearm as your main drives and on rare occasions i would throw your backhand when needed.

I currently play rhbh throwing about 350 feet and max at 375 feet on flat ground.... I throw forehand or sidearm about 280-340 feet average.

Also one of my main reasons for saying this is there are many lines that you can take off the pad or on an upshot. Not every line is available. I sometimes only have backhand anhyzer and have to throw that. Other times the lines or fairway play to a forehand.

You don't need a 500 foot drive to be a great player. Whatever you do, be able to compliment one form with the other.

Both. Keep working on fh but learn understable stuff also as it will help distance and less chance of injuring yourself. Start practicing bh with putters n mids and you will learn form faster and better

I started off throwing mainly forehand too. Some people will tell you that's a lot more difficult than throwing backhand.

If you keep playing you're going to learn backhand, one way or another. As you learn the various idiosyncracies of the different discs (weights, ratings, overstable vs. understable, etc.), you're going to figure out which discs do what. There's all kinds of "rules of the road" that come in "the manual" of how to huck a disc, but in the final analysis the only thing that matters is how you feel about how you throw your discs. Regardless of the "rules" or what you hear here from the wise old sages that've been doing this for a while, whatever works for you is the right way.

For now your best bet is doing and throwing whatever you feel comfortable with. Once you have a basic idea of your game, start incorporating something outside of your comfort zone. In this case, your backhand. Once you get comfortable with that with a few key discs -- I'd recommend a Mamba for drives, DX Roc for upshots and/or putts, and an Aviar for your putts -- you'll get in the zone and start seeing results.

Regardless of how or what your throw though, don't place too much value on the initial results. The point of disc golf is FUN. Have fun with the learning process. Once you realize you're not Paul McBeth right out of the box the more fund you're gonna have. And like The Man said, "Most fun....wins!"

Best of luck, brother!

This is not a dig at you, but do you know any top players who cannot hit 500?

There is a Difference between "great player" and "top" player (top 25).

McCabe isn't a bomber, neither is Doss. 4 titles between them.

Both, IMO. You will find as stated earlier both have a place in the game. I go both ways on drives depending on the hole. Flicks are handy in tight spots, weird anglse and odd distances where a backhand just feels awkward or where you are limited with regard to clearance.

Might as well work on the thumbs and tomahawks as well.

A year ago I asked myself the same question. I could muscle an ape out to 340ish and I thought I was good. If your forehand form is good then I would keep it and slowly incorporate the backhand. If you are muscling it with horrible oat like I was, I would learn to backhand.

A year ago I asked myself the same question. I could muscle an ape out to 340ish and I thought I was good. If your forehand form is good then I would keep it and slowly incorporate the backhand. If you are muscling it with horrible oat like I was, I would learn to backhand.

Im taking this entire year to do the following, with my backhand;

Nothing faster than speed 7
No more than 6-8 molds in my bag, preferably no more than 10-12 discs.
Absolutely no forehands in any competition, or local mini.

Goal is to get my drives out to over 300 with accuracy, and nail down my disc selection.

I started off throwing mainly forehand too. Some people will tell you that's a lot more difficult than throwing backhand.

If you keep playing you're going to learn backhand, one way or another. As you learn the various idiosyncracies of the different discs (weights, ratings, overstable vs. understable, etc.), you're going to figure out which discs do what. There's all kinds of "rules of the road" that come in "the manual" of how to huck a disc, but in the final analysis the only thing that matters is how you feel about how you throw your discs. Regardless of the "rules" or what you hear here from the wise old sages that've been doing this for a while, whatever works for you is the right way.

For now your best bet is doing and throwing whatever you feel comfortable with. Once you have a basic idea of your game, start incorporating something outside of your comfort zone. In this case, your backhand. Once you get comfortable with that with a few key discs -- I'd recommend a Mamba for drives, DX Roc for upshots and/or putts, and an Aviar for your putts -- you'll get in the zone and start seeing results.

Regardless of how or what your throw though, don't place too much value on the initial results. The point of disc golf is FUN. Have fun with the learning process. Once you realize you're not Paul McBeth right out of the box the more fund you're gonna have. And like The Man said, "Most fun....wins!"

Best of luck, brother!

Thanks man! This is definitely encouraging. I guess I will play sidearm and figure out my game first and throw backhand when needed.

As far as discs, I love my star wraith for FH but plan on learning backhand on the champion Valkyrie I have. But then maybe I'll move to a mamba or sidewinder. I plan on picking up a teebird and a Buzzz soon considering the only fairway driver I have is a leopard and my midrange Coyote was one of the discs I lost today.

Any thoughts on these?

Both. Keep working on fh but learn understable stuff also as it will help distance and less chance of injuring yourself. Start practicing bh with putters n mids and you will learn form faster and better

Thanks! It seems dumb in my pride to go from 300+ feet with a driver FH to -200 with a midrange BH, but I guess that's how I will learn. No shortcuts

As someone who spent seven years throwing FH because it was easier (and most of the holes around me favor the RHBH/LHFH throw), I can tell you that learning a BH is important. It's a lot more difficult, but it's vital. Being able to step up to a teepad and not have to limit yourself is huge.

I started learning by throwing an Opto Pure BH. I went from 150' to 200' while keeping my form solid pretty easily. Breaking that took some time, but I don't have time to play as much as I used to. Don't worry about your distance. It will come.

Last edited:
I play predominantly RHFH, and while i have a killer 400 foot FH, my backhand is lucky to reach 300. 250 is my average BH throw. Kinda sad, eh?. I'll only throw BH when i have to or when it gives me more options than a FH shot. I've got FH down pat, so now, like you, I'm starting to work on my BH and getting it better.

Really, throw how you feel best to throw, whether it be BH or FH. If you can launch a disc to 350 ft accurately, keep on doing it. Practice through with discs and shots outside fo your comfort zone every now and then.

Im taking this entire year to do the following, with my backhand;

Nothing faster than speed 7
No more than 6-8 molds in my bag, preferably no more than 10-12 discs.
Absolutely no forehands in any competition, or local mini.

Goal is to get my drives out to over 300 with accuracy, and nail down my disc selection.
In a years time you will be pushing them out a lot further than that! Goodluck!

I started playing last May, LHFH, and played that way for a couple months. I was new, but got sick of throwing unintentional rollers, so I made the switch to LHBH. I have a course about 5 minutes from my house, so I would go early mornings on the weekends and play a round or two, all backhand unless the approach shot required a FH shot (around a bush, tree, etc).

I disc'ed down to Discraft Glides x2, ESP Buzz, ESP Comet, and two identical mold putters (Soft Proton Ions). I keep an Avenger SS in my bag for Tomahawk shots and that is the only time I use it.

I can get the Glides out to ~300 ft in the direction I want to go, and I can keep up with my bro-in-law who has been playing for over three years.

It takes time and a lot of practice, but I am glad I made the switch to backhand.

Learn both and constantly do field work ~ forehand/backhand rollers, thumbers/tomahawks, spin push turbo putt also. Work on upshots and scramble shots from behind bushes and trees...... I promise you...once you start competing regularly in tournaments you will find yourself in a position that is uncomfortable and the work you put in at the park will really pay off. Good luck man!

I completely agree with Nemmers, throw what you are comfortable with.

When I started throwing I threw strictly FH drives for nearly two years. As I started wanting more distance and realized that there wasn't much more to gain from my FH drives I started concentrating on my BH.

It did cost me some strokes initially (as does any change to form), but now I feel equally comfortable with both. You will be really glad that you have a developed FH game. A lot of people struggle to have accuracy and/or distance with their FH game and it will be an AWESOME shot to have in the bag.

What Vonbeezy1 is saying is not to drop the FH 300+ and lose the pride. Learn to throw understable discs FH to 'mimic' a stable BH fading drive. Vonbeezy1 and I have dueled this out a couple of times with people who think to throw FH you should only throw the most stable-overstable plastic. Keep developing your game by developing both FH and BH. But to progress on the BH by getting your form correct faster, throw slower discs... like putters and mids.

There are a lot of top pros that would probably choose a turnover BH instead of a fading FH. They can throw FH well but in most cases would probably prefer the BH turnover. EMac being one of them. Prob Nikko and even Brinster. EMac and Nikko have both stated that FH is not their stronger throw(Nikko even threw LHBH at the Memorial instead of RHFH.) However Kolling and Wysocki have crushing FH(and crushing BH) that it seems they prefer FH for the big shot(based on watching these guys on VIDs not personal knowledge).

Happy throwing!!

darren