• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I replace this???

IsaacIRL

Bogey Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I got a 150g. DX leopard from a local disc golf event and lost it about a week later. I threw it too hard and it started to go way right. It went into the rough and I never found it.

I figured maybe it was just too light, so I went out and bought a 175g. DX leopard.

Two days later, I threw it regular speed and the light wind that was blowing took it way right into the woods.

I guess my question is, have other people had this problem? Is it the way I'm throwing it, or should I just give up on the leopard? If I should give it up what other discs are like the leopard but are more resistant to turning right.

The Leopard is a very good disc for downwind or right to left wind (RHBH) conditions. It's way too understable to be reliable in headwind or left to right (RHBH) conditions.

The Leopard has exceptional glide in the calm or the above mentioned good wind conditions. I say... replace the disc and use it at the right time.

A Teebird for headwind / left to right (RHBH) wind is also recommended by my noodle armed self...

Just as I threw it I was thinking, "Why in the world did I throw that!?!"

I have a Champion Teebird, but I just got it and it's not broken in yet.

Thanks for the help.

Leo is solid disc to build up form and speed to use other discs. Took me a while to find sweet spots in driver but now it's 169 +- 2

I'd say you just found your turnover disc. As for other more stable discs, the afore mentioned Tee Bird is good. Also look into champ Valkyrie maybe a champ Viking.

I'd say you just found your turnover disc. As for other more stable discs, the afore mentioned Tee Bird is good. Also look into champ Valkyrie maybe a champ Viking.

I second that. Infact that's my exact lineup. Leo for Turnovers, Teebird for fairways, and Valk for distance. I'd highly recommend all three.

Just as I threw it I was thinking, "Why in the world did I throw that!?!"

You have only been playing for a little over a year. You are still learning. Heck, I have been playing for 3 years and I still go "Why idn the world did I throw that?"

Throwing the Leopard into a headwind was your mistake. The Leopards are great discs, and are possibly the best driver out there for new players to learn with. I still throw one occasionally, and everytime I do I hesitate to take it back outta my bag.

I can throw the Leopard around 325 ft.

I have a Champ Valk, but it's old and has gotten flippy.

I'll look into the Champ Viking.

Yes you should replace it. The Leopard is a solid mold.
The Champ Leopard might be more to your liking. It won't turn nearly as easily as the DX.

However, I am a little concerned that a "light wind" blew your 175g DX leopard into the woods. I haven't seen you throw but this sounds like you might have some dirt in your throw. Was that 175g Leopard new?

You could also try a DX Cheetah. It will turnover like a Leopard, but will fade back, whereas the Leopard can turn too far.

Or get a DX Gazelle and beat it in.

Yes you should replace it. The Leopard is a solid mold.
The Champ Leopard might be more to your liking. It won't turn nearly as easily as the DX.

However, I am a little concerned that a "light wind" blew your 175g DX leopard into the woods. I haven't seen you throw but this sounds like you might have some dirt in your throw. Was that 175g Leopard new?

It was partially the wind and partially the way the land slanted.

You have only been playing for a little over a year. You are still learning. Heck, I have been playing for 3 years and I still go "Why idn the world did I throw that?"

Almost every other game there is at least one throw like that. As soon as it leaves my hands "WTF WAS THAT"

I was lucky enough to find a 154 champ leopard and it has been my straightest disc ever since. I throw pretty far with a lot of snap compared to many of the local guys, so I don't think it's cause I have a weak arm. I just throw it nice and easy with about normal snap and it is awesome. I never throw it with a headwind though. If I were you, I would buy either a light star/champ if you can find it or a heavy DX/pro, I just think a light DX would beat way too fast.

I had a leopard once. I didn't like it in the slightest. But, I do love the stalker.