• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I spend my money on a Katana?

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have been hearing that the Katana is a good distance driver for weaker arms. Right now my max distance is about 300-320. Is this disc worth the money to get more distance?

Have any of you who have weaker arms bought this disc and seen any improvement? Thanks.

Also, how bad does it fly in a head wind?

I am about 300-320' also and on the practice field the 175g Pro Katana went maybe 10-20' farther than my other discs but it wasn't predictable. Any headwind and it turns into a roller. For me anyway.

I am about 300-320' also and on the practice field the 175g Pro Katana went maybe 10-20' farther than my other discs but it wasn't predictable. Any headwind and it turns into a roller. For me anyway.

Hmm, yea, I am not sure if I want to spend $16 on an unpredicable disc. I already have an SL that will do that.

I would assume at your power level you wouldn't want a max weight Katana, I'd look for one around 167-168g as it will be easier to flip up from hyzer and should have a little more glide. I max out around 350-360ft, and I just ordered a 167g Katana to try out.

FWIW, I get my max D with 3 different discs right now. First is a 167g DX Valk thrown on a hyzerflip, second is a 168g Nuke thrown flat and hard with no turn which just goes dead straight with good penetrating fade, and third is a 165g R-Pro Boss thrown on a hyzerflip as well. I have hit close to 400ft. a few times but I can't throw that far on command, 350ft is what I can commonly hit.

The disc store is 25 miles away, so if nothing else, it will be a nice motorcycle ride.

Depends, have you spent money on an Ion yet? Learning how to throw that magical disc will probably add 20-30' to your drives anyway.

I got one about 2 months ago (167). LOVED IT! Got my furthest drive with it. It was Pro plastic and wore out fast. Just traded it for an ice Groove. I'd buy Champion if I got another.

How is it possible that you have not already bought a Katana? Even if it only is in your bag for those long par 5's where you have the room to work it it is worth it.

I have birdied so many holes that I could not reach before I got the Katana. I probably only pull it out once or twice a round but the extra distance on that hole makes it worth it. Plus it is soo fun to watch it fly. The fastest disc I have ever thrown. I honestly think it should be rated faster than a speed 13.

I buy all the latest and greatest, boss, groove, nuke, ion, voodoo, magic etc etc.
The Katana is the only thing that I had instant success with and found a permanent spot in my bag.

Last edited:
If you want to gain another 5-20 yards to your distance throws go for it.

I bought a pro katana to see if I like it. I bought mine here I've bought a ton of discs from this guy. Normally, I don't care for pro, but I like to see how it works, before buying better plastic. It's because I'm cheap like that, it's how I roll! :D

I love it.

I got the a 168g katana a couple of months ago and love it. It's very easy to throw and I've been getting some good distance from it. I really like the wide lip on it. Plus it's got a cool name.

Before this thread goes haywire (like EVERY thread seems to these days :rolleyes:) I want to make a simple point: If you are looking for more distance on your throws and think you are going to find it sitting on a shelf, you are looking in the wrong place.