• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should mulligans be use in disc golf?

Sanctioned tournaments - absolutely not
Unsanctioned tournaments - discouraged
ice bowl/charity type events - yes if the TD wishes, as a means to raise money
casual play - if you want to get better, don't use them, if you want to have fun or play quirk formats, have at it.

Mulligans are a great way to raise money at Mini-Tournaments!!!

In casual play, I only use the "two off the top" idea. Basically, a mulligan is only available on the first shot of the round. Stevep is correct in the article that too many mulligans are bad for your game. Not only does it avoid practicing recovery shots, it can tire a person out chasing after multiple discs...

Casual play - Absolutely
Tourney/Competetive play - Absolutely not

The one assertion in your article I disagree with is that using mulligans will hurt your game. Most DG courses do not have a 'driving range' and most disc golfers, as opposed to regular golfers, get their practice on the course rather than the range. Playing casually, sometimes you can evaluate different shots and use the opportunity to try different discs for different situations. I play by myself a lot and I'll just find myself dropping shots from various places just to practice.

If I'm scoring, I'll generally just score the first disc and the subsequent 1st throws off of that disc, but may very well take other shots or multiple shots along the way.

For money raising sake sure.

Instead of a mulligan I will play multiple shots during practice...if I shank a drive I will take a second, play the shank, play the second and take the shank score...or an average if its real bad. ;)

I do have to ask if you know where the picture from the article was taken? It looks just like hole #1 at Mines Collges DGC....just curious...

casual play - if you want to get better, don't use them, if you want to have fun or play quirk formats, have at it.

What he said.

I don't use mulligans. Never have, and probably never will. Often I throw a second shot, but I only score the first one.

Personally, if I screw up a drive really bad, I may make a second shot, but I always play the first. This way I get to practice the proper way to drive off the tee on that hole and I get to practice get out of trouble from my proper lie. I only do this of course if there is not a group waiting behind me and not in league/ tourney play.

If you want to - YES
If you don't - NO

I think that pretty much solves everything. Tim, time to lock this thread.

If you want to - YES
If you don't - NO

I think that pretty much solves everything. Tim, time to lock this thread.

Why are you in such a rush to have the thread closed?
And you don't even say please? Just demand that Tim do something simply because you told him too;)
Does having threads open, which you believe should be closed really upset you?

Why are you in such a rush to have the thread closed?
And you don't even say please? Just demand that Tim do something simply because you told him too;)
Does having threads open, which you believe should be closed really upset you?

I'd just hate for people to have to waste their time reading, and responding, to something that's already been resolved. I'm looking out for you.

In tournaments I don't believe they should be used at all.

For a casual round I personally have no problem with mulligans as long as everyone agrees on a limit. I think they can actually help. If you are in a tough spot and make a bad throw it may give you the ability to try another shot from that position and possibly correct the mistake you made on the first throw, and in essence learn from your mistake.

I agree.

Generally, I play with newer disc golfers, so we just Have 1 mulligan for every 9 holes we play, to help them along, but i try to not use them as much as possible

I take second shots all the time when playing casual rounds, for practice or to try a different disc choice or different line. I do either play my first shot or play out both shots, so technically I'm not taking mulligans. When I bring newer players out though, I encourage them to take mulligans and step out of the rough to throw their first few times out, it makes it more fun and less frustrating, and is more likely to make them want to come out and play again.

I'd just hate for people to have to waste their time reading, and responding, to something that's already been resolved. I'm looking out for you.

Once a seemingly simple thread gets so long I just avoid it :)

I'm not one to take mulligans but do see thier place. As in charity ie icebowl fund raising or as a way to equal out players during a casual round ie player 1 usually always beats player 2 by 6-8 strokes. player 2 could be given 4 mulligans for the round to even out play a little. makes casual rounds more competitive.
Never in tourney/league play

Latest posts