• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulder Pain

leroybrown

Recently I have been experiencing some shoulder pain in the back of my shoulder after anywhere from 18 - 36 holes. Although I had shoulder surgery about a year and a half ago, I feel like that's really not the problem. I know a bunch of guys that play 4 rounds a day and have no pain at all. I'm just wondering if it has something to do with my technique, because I'm pretty sure with perfect technique, there shouldn't be any pain at all. Any input would help a lot.

P.S I am a 20 yr old RHBH golfer..

If you had surgery I'd be very careful. Rest and go to a DR. You don't want the knife again.

This is absolutely a question that should be answered by a doctor. It may be your form, but it also may be a medical issue that needs to be addressed. I wouldn't take any chances as your doctor will be much more capable of answering this question than any of us will be.

I agree seeing a doctor is the best suggestion.

I destroyed my left shoulder a few years ago and now I am permanently screwed. Good thing it's my non throwing arm.

One question I was asked when I complained about pain in my shoulder is "does the pain stay around or go away"? For me if the pain goes away then it's just discomfort and not a bad thing. It most probably means you just worked it good. Like your muscles feel after a good work out. There's pain but you know it's not a bad thing.

On the other hand if the pain stays, go see your doctor.

That's because you are not a MLB pitcher. I had a torn labrum in my left shoulder, and the orthopedic surgeon said the same thing. Rest then rehab, and get it functional.

See the doctor.

This is a pet subject of mine. I had pain and tried everything but the orthopedist, not to mention playing through it. Eventually needed surgery (torn labrum) and lost a couple of years of my disc golf life.

If it's happening regularly, don't make the mistake of self-diagnosis and causing yourself much greater problems down the road.

You could guess that, because it doesn't happen for the first 18-36 holes, it's probably not major. I will say that's where my torn labrum was---I could play one day but not the next, then I could play fine for about 12 holes....the day I could only take 2 throws and it locked up on the 3rd, I knew I was in trouble.

Thats what my surgery was for was a torn labrum. But money is kind of an issue since I am a poor college kid haha I've been trying not to play every day and take a bunch of rest days, so i'll see how that goes. But sometimes it will hurt for like a whole week when I play, but others i can go like 2 weeks pain free.

Understood. But even if surgery is out of the question, for the cost of a visit you might find out it's nothing to worry about. That's worth the price. Or you might find out that you are doing damage and, if you can't get it fixed, you should at least quit doing more damage.

Thats what my surgery was for was a torn labrum. But money is kind of an issue since I am a poor college kid haha I've been trying not to play every day and take a bunch of rest days, so i'll see how that goes. But sometimes it will hurt for like a whole week when I play, but others i can go like 2 weeks pain free.

If anything, go check visit with some the athletic trainers at your college. They should be able to give you some idea of whats up. Probably wont even cost you anything. And would be able to give you some exercises to strengthen the joint. (Which you should already know based on having had surgery before)

Just an idea. Good luck! ICE, REST, REPEAT. I have two shoulder surgeries, but luckily on my non-throwing arm. Resistance bands are your buddy

Recently I have been experiencing some shoulder pain in the back of my shoulder after anywhere from 18 - 36 holes. Although I had shoulder surgery about a year and a half ago, I feel like that's really not the problem. I know a bunch of guys that play 4 rounds a day and have no pain at all. I'm just wondering if it has something to do with my technique, because I'm pretty sure with perfect technique, there shouldn't be any pain at all. Any input would help a lot.

P.S I am a 20 yr old RHBH golfer..

you need to correct your form if you are strong arming it. do you have any videos of you throwing we can critique

Although I had shoulder surgery about a year and a half ago, I feel like that's really not the problem.

Ah, youth.

My shoulder surgery was 8 years ago, and even now, at the slightest twinge of pain I'm panicking that it's come undone.

This might sound like a joke, but since you're only 20 and you're poor, learn to throw with your other arm. Your shoulder is obviously messed up, and your technique could probably use an adjustment too. Post a video of your backhand if you want technique advice, and try throwing with your other arm for a while. I know a dude who did it after a shoulder surgery and was throwing a 150 Valk 300' lefty while his right arm was still in a sling. Seen a handful of other non-injured folk who throw with both arms too.

I find my offhand shoulder hurting after a round lately. No joke. :-/

I believe you. My brother had this same condition years ago, severe enough that he laid off playing for a while.

I think it is because I propel my offhand arm downwards and backwards to help turn my body, and I've started doing a couple of practice swings before each throw. So lately, I perform the motion more often in a round.