• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulder timing

The analogy of starting the lawn mower leads to strong arming since you focus on pulling using your shoulder, triceps and lats. I've been there and done that. What you want to do is to use the timing of your shoulder rotation to launch a disc sitting on the end of a dingle arm.
This is perfect form for starting the lawn mower, starts by shifting weight/crushing the can and clearing the hips for the dingle arm to swing through at the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PG0HHI1GQI#t=49s

^^^
Ah, the beauty of the new, out of the box, lawn mower that can be started with an effortless and coordinated pull. Growing up in Florida, we know the true nature of the beast and the weekly, evil ritual interrupting our disc golf adventures. To start this uncooperative monster filled with bad gas and fouled plugs one needs to tilt fully away from the target, and with gritted teeth grab and pull the cord with full force and instant acceleration in rapid machine gun fashion. And there are constant thoughts of throwing the hammer to the target. But the new target is the mower and the bigger the hammer the better.:)

^^^
Ah, the beauty of the new, out of the box, lawn mower that can be started with an effortless and coordinated pull. Growing up in Florida, we know the true nature of the beast and the weekly, evil ritual interrupting our disc golf adventures. To start this uncooperative monster filled with bad gas and fouled plugs one needs to tilt fully away from the target, and with gritted teeth grab and pull the cord with full force and instant acceleration in rapid machine gun fashion.

Did that once with a rotator cuff/impingement syndrome injury.

Once.

I had not predicted the extreme results from that motion.

So if I'm leading with the head and right shoulder too early I should focus on keeping my midsection relaxed and waiting as long as I can before I start pulling with the upper body. Also keep my head/eyes focused on a point on the ground 90 degrees from the direction of the throw until after release?

So if I'm leading with the head and right shoulder too early I should focus on keeping my midsection relaxed and waiting as long as I can before I start pulling with the upper body. Also keep my head/eyes focused on a point on the ground 90 degrees from the direction of the throw until after release?

Do not focus your eyes/head on a point. Especially a point while trying to release. You could get some weird neck torque or other things happening.

The best thing is to post video. But check out these crush the can drills, they should help you land centered on your front leg rather than pushing your upper body forward or trying to lead with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfgqNj_VhjI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs

Did that once with a rotator cuff/impingement syndrome injury.

Once.

I had not predicted the extreme results from that motion.

I think the rotator cuff impingement is actually what helped me throw far, but with all kinds of other problems, with the lawn mower analogy. Due to said shoulder issues I naturally pull a lawnmower or generator cord with a weight shift and lower body help. Still muscled the hell out of the disc and grip lock extreme but lawnmower pull worked.

No, keep your eyes focused on your thumb/disc. Watch what the hell you are doing to the disc and the angle it swings on. Your rear leg needs to lead the navel/lower spine the shift forward to the front leg so that you have something to be braced and tilted against and can remain dynamically balanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zByUYQnVdY&t=158s

I've finally reached the point where I'm getting the elbow out far enough and getting tremendous leverage on the disc where it feels like 10 pounds but I had to slow down to nearly a crawl to get there. I'll continue to go slow until I can master it but I do have a question. Despite the fact that I already had calloused fingers in my index, middle, and ring finger...that super heavy disc is ripping off so now after a couple hours of field work I have broken blood vessels at the tips of those three fingers and it's a little painful to continue. Is this normal for a while or am I still torquing the disc when it comes out of my hand causing excessive "ripping" off the finger tips?

... after a couple hours of field work...

Are you throwing full power for a couple hours? That sounds like a quick way to end up with some serious stresses on your body - and things like tennis elbow are not fun to resolve.

Short answer: yes, you will experience a much more violent redirection of the disc and the rip out on your grip is hard on your skin.

Longer answer: making sure your grip is setup so that you don't shred hotspots around your finger tips and nail beds is important. I recall MikeC taking a good sized chunk of meat off his middle finger.

Thanks for the response HUB, Definitely not full power, more like 30% max the entire time. I can't maintain the leverage during full throws. Baby steps! Just wanted to make sure others experienced this during getting all that leverage on a disc since it's a pretty new feeling to be doing it every throw as opposed to once every 50 throws. The tiny red dots at the end of those fingers was new and got me thinking maybe I was still doing something wrong.

It's been a long time since I have put in long fieldwork sessions, but if I throw left handed - it's super painful because of the blood jamming into my hand. I'm definitely not used to that and it hurts, especially in the cold.

Awesome

Awesome, Thank You for taking the time to create this diagram. A picture does speak a thousand words. I have some suggestions; the grey line can be aligned on the disc to visualize how the disc stays on the same line, wrist movement and hip movement can be added. Small lines could be added for hip location. This could improve an already great diagram. Just some thoughts. I have struggled with the game almost two years and never understood the 90 degree references in videos until finding your diagram.

Looking at it more...

The disc appears off the line on the second row. I think the chest/torso should turn more before the forearm to keep the disc online. I'm attempting to understand and hoping it stops rainy so I can get some throws in. Now I understand the difficulty of timing, clinics always say is so crucial. Simon/eagle clinic says "timing, speed, and footwork are crucial. Fast hands slow feet". I can get it in super slow motion but when speeding up and pressure shots the timing doesn't click. I think the feel and muscle memory comes in play and getting the reps in but make sure your form is correct before 1000 reps to get the feel and timing.

Questions

Is the shoulder movement that Feldberg shows in the video under something to focus on in regards to the topic of this thread?

And, isn't the closed shoulder drill encouraging the shoulders to open 180 degrees instead of 90 degrees? I have been doing it wrong if not. Haven't noticed before now that the shoulders should not open more before the disc is in the air. Something I have to practice.

https://youtu.be/3sxw8ix0CYs?t=1655

Is the shoulder movement that Feldberg shows in the video under something to focus on in regards to the topic of this thread?
https://youtu.be/3sxw8ix0CYs?t=1655
Yep.

qp20hg7l.png

And, isn't the closed shoulder drill encouraging the shoulders to open 180 degrees instead of 90 degrees? I have been doing it wrong if not. Haven't noticed before now that the shoulders should not open more before the disc is in the air. Something I have to practice.
In one-arm throw you never want the lead arm less than 90 during the throw. PGA golfers will often collapse less than 90 backswing because they swing two-arms, but all are 90 or wider at impact.
tU9cNB9.png

0U1R3UJ.png

I've finally reached the point where I'm getting the elbow out far enough and getting tremendous leverage on the disc where it feels like 10 pounds but I had to slow down to nearly a crawl to get there. I'll continue to go slow until I can master it but I do have a question. Despite the fact that I already had calloused fingers in my index, middle, and ring finger...that super heavy disc is ripping off so now after a couple hours of field work I have broken blood vessels at the tips of those three fingers and it's a little painful to continue. Is this normal for a while or am I still torquing the disc when it comes out of my hand causing excessive "ripping" off the finger tips?

by elbow out far do you mean elbow is out far from the body or at the right peck?

Latest posts