• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

sidearm disc?

nyvek

Hello all, just join the forum. Wanted to get some help with my disc selection. I throw sidearm from the T, and wanted to know what would be a good disc to throw? or what I need to look for in a Driver. At the current moment I've been throwing a Champ Boss and a Havoc. The Boss seems to fly better for me. ive also thrown a Valk and Ork in the passed and liked both. I've only thrown Innova Disc but am open to other brands. Havoc being the only non Innova i own.

Thanks

The short answer: Any disc can be a good sidearm disc.

In general, sidearm players tend to like faster overstable discs. This is because a lot of us (I used to be predominantly sidearm) try to throw more with strength than form. Trying to muscle up the disc results in a higher release point (the more natural arm slot) which causes an anhyzer release. Using a fast, overstable disc can help counter that bad form, flexing out for pretty good distance.

But there's definitely a ceiling on how far you'll be able to throw this way. Learning to throw slower, neutral or understable discs will help you develop cleaner form with greater distance potential and less injury concern.

Your Valk is a really good starting point.

Thanks Brad, I've been try to throw backhand. but its been a long process.

An Innova FL (a Firebird with less fade) is a good start for a sidearm driver. After you master SNAP, try a Blizzard Ape.
For a mid-range, try a Gator.

boss is about as good as it gets... xcalibur is a good one too.

I've been throwing a star TL for sidearm shots that need to carry a bit then fade. Then for short meat hook type shots or in a big headwind I throw a Champ Excalibur. I rarely throw sidearm though. Only when the hole requires it.

Flick Discs

I throw flick for everything outside 150'. I have been playing disc a long time and just started playing DG. I average 4 over from the blues - just so you know I am no expert. I only know Innova, but someday I will learn the rest.

Here's what's in the bag:

Ape - great for 90 degree turns right - (I don't have the arm for this disc) but with an ape (trick shot) I can throw a blade out of the deep woods, have it stable up and finish 30 yard fade. I can also throw it with trouble left - down the left edge. It will never go further left on me - crashes dead center most of the time - not very long.

For my long flips and rollers, I use super understable champs - monarch, mamba - trying to learn the sidewinder now.

Straight disc - champ leopard

S curve - disc - champ beast

approach curving left - star mako
approach curving right - star roc3
approach straight - star dart

Favorite disc - star TeeBird3 - consistent and forgiving - flys straight, fades a little

Last edited:
I would agree with Brad. Any disc can be thrown side arm it all about your mechanics. Get with a friend with a lot of dics and throw what they have several times. Get what they have that you like and prepare to change as your throw chnges.

every disc in your bag you should be able to fh and bh

even your most understable putter

I've thrown sidearm for a few years and i get Max D with a Champ Boss/ Nuke SS, but for shorter fairway drives I love my Star Orc and my KcPro Eagle. Look into a JLS as well, very straight flying disc.

Really though, any disc can be a sidearm disc as well as a backhand disc. Experiment with a variety of molds to find the drivers suitable to your style. It took me a while to get my bag down.

FWIW, I am using Comets sidearm for field work. They are magical teaching tools. I'll work my way back up to faster stuff once I work out the bad habits I've developed over the years.