• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

sidearm disc?

I would just go ahead and pick up some discs that are good backhand workhorses too. Namely, check out a nice star teebird.

For a mid to FH, I really like the new buzzz OS - it's got a zone-shaped rim with a high shoulder, perfect fit for FH.

I throw FH only when the hole requires it off the tee or for dicey approaches. My Z avenger 171g is my longest FH disc.

This is the best advice of the thread so far imo.

You can do any shot with any disc that you can do backhand (just mirrored).

not sure that it matters, but it might ...

There are different strengths with forehanders and backhanders: try throwing a forehand airbounce? try throwing a backhand at 11pm and check it against your forehand at 1 am - It's way more powerful. I know from ulti that forehanders generally have better hammers (tomahawks) because it is the same grip. Backhanders throw it a little further. Forehanders can throw it further from a completely stationary position. The wrist power is derived differently. Does that mean different discs are better? I have no idea ...My guess is that disc selection has more to do with disc speed v arm strength then FH v BH.

Last edited:
every disc in your bag you should be able to fh and bh

even your most understable putter

Boom. Hit it right on the head. If you are throwing FH properly with good form you can flick a putter out to 300 ft on a rope. most people cant those becaue they overpower the disc and dont have the finesse to do it.

I gauge how good a persons FH is by how well they flick a putter.

not sure that it matters, but it might ...

There are different strengths with forehanders and backhanders: try throwing a forehand airbounce?

try throwing a backhand at 11pm and check it against your forehand at 1 am - It's way more powerful.

I know from ulti that forehanders generally have better hammers (tomahawks) because it is the same grip.

Backhanders throw it a little further.

Forehanders can throw it further from a completely stationary position.

Sidearm airbounce is just as easy as backhand sidearm

Backhand throws way further. Even from stationary.

All this has nothing to do with disc selection though ;) IMO, if you want a complete game, you gotta be able to do all shots backhand and most shots sidearm too. Rollers and overhead shots to round off the game. ( same thing there, you can use any disc for rollers, they just give different lines )

Boom. Hit it right on the head. If you are throwing FH properly with good form you can flick a putter out to 300 ft on a rope. most people cant those becaue they overpower the disc and dont have the finesse to do it.

I gauge how good a persons FH is by how well they flick a putter.

i do as well. i max out at probably 250 putter flick with a beat dx aviar. hate when i get the wobbles cuz i know i didnt release it clean. i use a flick for a lot of upshot approaches. i dont mean to sound cocky but i know im ahead of the curve on flicking a putter.

so funny seeing people who can flick a firebird 300+ but cant flick a putter over 75 ft

Best advice I can give is that any disc could be the best for you. Experiment if you will.

I currently use a max weight NukeSS. When I started, I used a Firebird and Valk. I was suggested by people to use a Flick, or SurgeSS but when I tried to use those, I couldn't get a nice accurate shot.

Different people may end up throwing a disc way differently then other people. Nobody's fingers and hands are exactly alike. We can steer you in a direction, but we can't tell you what you throw best.

Best advice I can give is that any disc could be the best for you. Experiment if you will.

I currently use a max weight NukeSS. When I started, I used a Firebird and Valk. I was suggested by people to use a Flick, or SurgeSS but when I tried to use those, I couldn't get a nice accurate shot.

Different people may end up throwing a disc way differently then other people. Nobody's fingers and hands are exactly alike. We can steer you in a direction, but we can't tell you what you throw best.

Very well said.

The only disc I can sidearm is a Flick. I've tried it many times with many discs and they all come out wrong, except the flick. I have no idea why.

I only throw sidearm. Once you learn to release your discs flat, your distance will increase. I found destroyers and wraiths are the most consistent for me. I you have a nice tail wind, dominators can be used for max d. Too understable into the wind.

Something stupid fast and overwhelmingly over stable thrown as hard as you can on a almost tommy angle with tons of oat should net you about 350 ft......and you will never learn how to throw a real fh. I have found last years ace race disc to be a good one , or teebird. For my crappy form maskers I like my gator and zone for fh up shots.

People that say any disc, especially for a newer player, probably dont throw forehand themselves.
I mean, have you tried throwing a forehand hyzer flip with an understable disc ?
It's ridiculously hard.
Throw in the wrist roll that every new forehand player seems to incorporate, and you come to the inevitable conclusion that more stable/overstable discs will always work better.
Discs with a blunt nose, like an Xcal, will be more forgiving of nose angle miscalculations.
As a players forehand skills get better, incorporating less stable discs will usually result in greater distance due to thier increased glide.

People that say any disc, especially for a newer player, probably dont throw forehand themselves.
I mean, have you tried throwing a forehand hyzer flip with an understable disc ?

It's ridiculously hard.
Throw in the wrist roll that every new forehand player seems to incorporate, and you come to the inevitable conclusion that more stable/overstable discs will always work better.
Discs with a blunt nose, like an Xcal, will be more forgiving of nose angle miscalculations.
As a players forehand skills get better, incorporating less stable discs will usually result in greater distance due to thier increased glide.

my main flicking discs are sidewinders, beat stalkers, buzzes and a beat to hell dx aviar.

easy hyzer flip or smooth turn overs.

stable/os discs mask bad form and you really only can throw hyzers and flex shots. starting on xcal or any stupid OS disc is horrible advice. you have no control. if you want to judge how clean someones flick form (or even bh for that matter) see how well they throw a neutral putter. preferably have that putter beat too.

you want to learn on understable discs so that you stop rolling your wrist. keep your palm up. pays off in the long run. just like learning bh with understables teaches you better form so you dont roll your wrist.

increased glide doesnt have a damm thing to do with good form. also understable doesnt = good glide. there are numerous threads on this. throw a wolf and tell me how well it glides.

The only disc I can sidearm is a Flick. I've tried it many times with many discs and they all come out wrong, except the flick. I have no idea why.

cuz its stupid OS and masks bad form. if you can flick a comet or neutral putter then ill believe you have good form. those discs dont lie regarding form

Something stupid fast and overwhelmingly over stable thrown as hard as you can on a almost tommy angle with tons of oat should net you about 350 ft......and you will never learn how to throw a real fh. I have found last years ace race disc to be a good one , or teebird. For my crappy form maskers I like my gator and zone for fh up shots.

at least someone else on this thread has good advice. i cant believe how much awful advice people are spewing.

People that say any disc, especially for a newer player, probably don't throw forehand themselves.
I mean, have you tried throwing a forehand hyzer flip with an understable disc?
It's ridiculously hard.
As a players forehand skills get better, incorporating less stable discs will usually result in greater distance due to their increased glide.

A round or two of frustration should be all it would take to get them on the right path vs letting them ingrain bad habits that will take a lot longer to correct. Took me over a year to fully break them.

cuz its stupid OS and masks bad form. if you can flick a comet or neutral putter then ill believe you have good form. those discs dont lie regarding form

at least someone else on this thread has good advice. i cant believe how much awful advice people are spewing.

Amen brother. Comets rule.

I watched a 15 year old kid flicking a Polecat last night. It was pretty great.

I tend to use OS-ish discs when FH'ing (Teebird, Firebird, Orc, PD), but that's mostly because the only shot I'm usually trying to pull off with a FH is a big left to right fade. I can FH putters (crazy hyzer flipping, yo), but honestly, I can't find a situation where that shot would be needed over a BH, unless you're stuck in a bush or something.

sidearm

I have been throwing exclusively sidearm or forehand for 8 years and I am 64. I mainly use the DD2 blizzard and the PD2 for distance and the TL3 and Thunderbird for everything else and i putt conventional with a spider that i also use as my mid-range. I think i have tried about all the recommended "sidearm" discs hoping for the miracle but it hasn't happened and these discs work best for me..........hope this helps.

I watched a 15 year old kid flicking a Polecat last night. It was pretty great.

I tend to use OS-ish discs when FH'ing (Teebird, Firebird, Orc, PD), but that's mostly because the only shot I'm usually trying to pull off with a FH is a big left to right fade. I can FH putters (crazy hyzer flipping, yo), but honestly, I can't find a situation where that shot would be needed over a BH, unless you're stuck in a bush or something.

i rarely fh a putter on a drive. but sometimes its the shot needed. typically on smaller courses for ace runs

Latest posts