• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm frustration!!! Help!?

nyx7

Hey all!! So I'm hoping someone can help me out. I've recently got into disc golf and I love it. I only throw sidearm (the other way is just awkward and unpredictable).
My question is everytime I throw my disc it ALWAYS curves right. Doesn't matter what disc I throw with. (At the moment my favorite driver is a tesla. Who knows that might be way wrong for me) but does anyone know how to correct my throws so it won't always hook right? Only time I like the curve is when the basket is to the right haha 😂 It goes straight then curves nicely to the basket LOL.
Or does anyone have better disc recommendations?
Thanks so much!!!! 😁

Throwing right hand forehand (RHFH) discs will fade to the right, no matter the disc. The solution is to use a slower disc, with a more neutral stability. I have not thrown a Tesla, but even though it is rated with a low fade rating (2), it is still a speed 11 disc, which means it will fade right when slowing down.

Learn to throw a putter or straight midrange disc RHFH, they will glide straight and barely fade right compared to the drivers (since they are a lower speed rating).

To hold a broad right to left line you'll have to throw an anhyzer RHFH, but they will still want to pan out or fade right at the end if they are given enough air time.

To get a disc to actually fade/hook left, you need to throw with the opposite rotation on the disc, so right hand backhand.

get a stable mid or putter and sidearm that for straight flights. Use understable molds for left turning shots with RHFH throws.

Tesla is suppose to fade right when thrown FH b/c it is overstable.

All discs will fade in the direction of spin, but fade should be happening only at the end of the flight. If your disc is turning to the right (assuming you throw right handed) it may be you need a disc that is more understable (Innova Turn Rating of -2 or -3 instead of the Tesla's fairly overstable -1). Since you're new to the game, it's highly likely the 11 Speed Tesla is too fast a disc for your arm. Back it down to at least a 9 Speed and a Turn of -2 or -3 and you'll likely see better results. The cost of throwing a disc with too high a Speed rating for your current arm is it will behave more overstable, which may be what's causing your disc to turn right early.

I'm throwing right handed. And I can throw (in a clear space) about 300yards tops I think. I don't have much power behind my throws that's why I love the tesla. It feels so light. The midrange one I have tried to throw hard and it wobbles because it feels so heavy or maybe I'm not used used to it. �� How pitiful I know!

But yes my disc only turns at the end of my throw sometimes it's a soft turn and others it dive bombs. Absolutely infuriating! ����

Thanks everyone for the valuable information! I'll be checking out some new disc's. I didn't realize how many different kinds there were!!! Haha I'm definitely a newbie!! So thanks for being patient with me!

I'm throwing right handed. And I can throw (in a clear space) about 300yards tops I think.

Video or it didn't happen.

300 yards is 900 feet, unless you're talking message board distance, in which case 300 yards MBD = 300 feet real world D.

Video or it didn't happen.

300 yards is 900 feet, unless you're talking message board distance, in which case 300 yards MBD = 300 feet real world D.

ROFL yes feet that's what I ment! Sorry I'm blaming chemistry! I have been doing conversions all day 😂😂😂

Dang calm down I admitted my mistake! I wish I could throw 300 yard. And I'm a She thank you very much!

There are no girls on the Internet.

Period.

(.)

But aside from that I'm delighted by not simply your accidental claim but the general message board tendency to magnify distance.

First I would recommend you stay away from 'distance' drivers for a long while. If you're just starting out stick with putters and midranges. I just recently got into a Discraft Meteor and it is a fantastic sidearm disc. It's half as fast as your Tesla so it will be much easier to control. It's also a good idea to watch a lot of top pro tournament footage on YouTube to learn form.

A Prodigy PA4 (putter) would be a great disc for you to develop a backhand.

Last edited:
The wobbles you see on the midrange are probably happening on the driver too. But drivers can "mask" this off axis torque (OAT) and kind of fight through it, letting you still get a long throw in.

The best solution is to try to FH your midrange and putters, but don't worry too much about distance. Just try 30-60' shots without wobble, working up to 100-150' for example. If you can snap the midrange cleanly, then go back to the driver, you will benefit.

Lots of "forehand only" players have "big distance" but can't flick their mids or putters at all, I wonder why :\. Clean releases definitely pay off.

thirded(?) seconded again... start off with putters/understable mids at most. Will the disc wobble like a dying foul flying at first? Yes... but will it build a solid foundation for clean drives on down the road? Yes and yes... it's like making eggs, patience and diligence awards you the omelet, haste and improper focus gets you scrambled eggs. Both feed the beast that is the desire to play disc golf, but if you want to be proud of your form/technique(much less reap the great results of) it would behove you to "start at the bottom" as it were and learn to drive with putters. On aside note: yes the backhand feels awkward at first, but it will be one of the funniest/rewarding endeavors you'll pursue in discing. IMO. When people see you throwing putters off the tee(regardless of results) they'll think you're serious about getting better, and cut you some slack too boot. We've ALL been there.

Dang calm down I admitted my mistake! I wish I could throw 300 yard. And I'm a She thank you very much!

Don't sweat it - you need a pretty thick skin to post here because, even when you're 100% right, you will get ripped, called a liar, called an idiot, and told your mama dresses you funny. Rise above it if you can, and, when you can't, give as good as you get.

Latest posts