• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm mid

nismo923 said:
Ah. Just found one. I think that it may be shorter than what I am looking for though. Does anyone have any input on forehanding a Wizard?
Yes, I do it all the time, it won't be nearly as stable or long as you want it to

MVP Vector, I'm loving mine. A bit longer than my Gator and maybe a bit less effort, but then again I get good results from my ion as well.

Zone is a putter but so fast that it looks like a mid in flight then crashes hard far to the side at putter distances. Pig is a great FH putter and Buzzz in premium plastics except the domier examples is great for straighter shots and Gator is supacool for hooks. Although the Zone is almost as long just faster hooking.

Prod D Zone aint bad either, after a few months of use it's straight but still has some fade to it.

Yes ans it is a matter of preference if you want something that works right away like the Gator or a rotation of discs that need beating in the become the best they are. It is easier to accomplish with work horse mids are drivers than with utility discs.

A lot of good stuff here guys. Thank you very much. I have learned though through some feeling of discs, I do not want a bead at all, they are very uncomfortable in the hand. I want something that I don't have to work hard to make it do what it is already supposed to do. I also don't want to have a rotation of discs as well. I want something that will do what I want it to do right out of the box. I have thought about maybe going with a Lat 64 Pain in a max weight to add a little more overstability. If it's worth anything, I love the way a fairway driver feels in hand. The rim is the perfect size for people with tiny hands.

Lately I have been really liking Discraft's Hornet as a beefy sidearm mid. It can hold a straight line and fade at the end, or I can even throw it with a decent amount of anhyzer with confidence that it will fade back in a nice helix.

nismo923 said:
A lot of good stuff here guys. Thank you very much. I have learned though through some feeling of discs, I do not want a bead at all, they are very uncomfortable in the hand. I want something that I don't have to work hard to make it do what it is already supposed to do. I also don't want to have a rotation of discs as well. I want something that will do what I want it to do right out of the box. I have thought about maybe going with a Lat 64 Pain in a max weight to add a little more overstability. If it's worth anything, I love the way a fairway driver feels in hand. The rim is the perfect size for people with tiny hands.

An overstable mid is sort of like a bicycle with training wheels. It works but is limiting.

Overstable discs have their place. An important place at that because nothing fights strong winds like an overstable disc can. But for shaping lines in normal wind conditions an overstable disc is limiting. An overstable disc has its own agenda. It is always going to hyzer out as it slows down. If that hyzering happens to follow the flight path you desire, so be it. If you need it to do something else, too bad for you because it is still hyzering out.

A stable (straight flying) disc can be more competently manipulated to bend lines.

Learning a touch is an advanced skill whether it be forehand or backhand. I think forehands are the more difficult of the two to master, having a smaller margin of error. So as players begin to learn forehand mids the "training wheels" of an overstable disc are useful. But keep in mind the limitations of an overstable mid and the long term goal to learn how to bend lines with a straight disc.

I carry 4 or 5 mids in my bag. All of them are Buzzzes in different degrees of stability . None of them are very overstable. Short of big headwinds I don't want or need an overstable mid, so while I have Zones and Wasps in my throwing stock, they sit in my trunk until needed.

nismo923 doesn't want a rotation of discs. I can't imagine why not. Any disc you know and love and works well for you needs to be in a rotation. You want variations and back ups. Every disc will change over time and any disc can become lost.

So learn and throw those crazy overstable mids. Just realize the long term goal should be to wean yourself off of them and learn clean, true lines.

Btw, if anything flies truer than a Buzzz for this shot I have yet to find it.

If you want something like a more overstable buzzz without a bead (wasp is an overstable buzzz with a bead), check out a SP Aftershock. They aren't in the Gator, Drone, Zone overstability range but definitely wont flip on you. The real question is, are you looking for an overstable utility mid or a go to flick mid?

I can agree with the buzzz as an absolutely awesome forehand mid. It feels great in the hand and is really easy to get a clean release. Flies whatever line you put it on.

I also carry a flx drone and a Dx gator. The drone I rarely use but its saved me many strokes when I've needed some weird get out of trouble shot where ridiculous overstability really helps out. It doesn't even want to fly flat, always wants to hyzer. The gator is turning into my go to approach FH or BH when it HAS to finish hard. It will fly nice and straight 85% of the shot, but has a super hard finish that I can't get from a buzz. I also don't have to worry about over throwing it as much as the buzz. Sometimes the buzz just keeps on going, which is more my fault than anything. The gator has just been more dependable for me at the 170-200' range.

Can't stand the roc as a forehand mid either.

Ive been messing around with my M Sentinel as a forehand disc. I really only throw a forehand when I have to though, my backhand is far superior.

A lot more great information guys, and thank you so much for your input. I'm still not quite sold on the Gator, especially now that it sounds like the newer ones are beaded. The reason I'm against a rotation of discs is due to the fact that I'm still searching for that "right" disc for each category of disc. Once I find that "right" set, then I will be more than happy of having a stack of each of those molds. For some reason, I'm really leaning towards the Lat 64 Trident and the Lat 64 XXX. It may be due to the plastics that they come in, or just the crazy amount of overstability they posses, but that's the direction I'm leaning. If it's a dumb move on my behalf, please call me out on it and show me the right way to go about it. I'm still new to this sport and rather easy to be swayed by people that have more of a background in this than I do. Thanks again for all of your help, can't wait to see what else you guys have to say.

I find it strange that you asked a question, got 3 pages of responses, and ended up choosing 2 discs nobody suggested. I mean.. Why even ask?

Drowsy said:
I find it strange that you asked a question, got 3 pages of responses, and ended up choosing 2 discs nobody suggested. I mean.. Why even ask?

I have chose nothing yet, and I may not choose anything either. I love the Opto plastic, and figured that either of those discs fit the overstability bill. That's all. My mind is far from being set on doing anything. I want to figure out the best disc for he job then go from there.

Well you asked so I will say it: I think you're making a dumb move.

I have a xxx in my bag. When I throw. FH approach shot it's one of the last options I consider. Inside typical approach range (250-100') for a fh shot I would reach for my putter if its on the shorter side and for a longer shot either an Axis or Vector.

The XXX requires so much more force to fly the same distance, and fades really, really hard. I would rather flick my Axis on a hyzer and let it glide out then touch down and stop with control.

I think you'd be a lot better off buying a slightly overstable mid in the class of roc / vector / wasp and learning to throw standstill hyzer flicks. If you can't make a disc like that fade on a 200' shot, much less a neutral mid or putter, ya gots something going on in your throw.

Check out this vid of me flicking the axis and lat 64 fuse...neither being known as a "sidearm mid"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FEFoWRIMc&t=1m10s

Thank you for the information on the XXX, that is very helpful. I still wouldn't mind trying to find a more overstable mid though. Maybe not Trident overstability, but something more stable than my Cro. No bead would be great, but if there has to be a bead, it must be small.

Im pretty sure they make a beadless version of the gator. That or check out the gateway warrior...dont remember it having a bead.

Mike C said:
Im pretty sure they make a beadless version of the gator. That or check out the gateway warrior...dont remember it having a bead.
The star gator used to be the L mold but no longer. I'd say learn to deal with a bead.

Latest posts