• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

sidearm neophyte

taylspin46

Greeting from freezing Florida. New guy to disc golf, old guy
by chronology (retired). Amazed at the size & scope of this sport.
Played 1st practice round & much more comfortable (&longer) with
sidearm. (3rd to 1st).
Any guidance on driver/fairway discs appreciated. thanks

TeeBird is a classic and good for sidearm. I would stick to fairway drivers to start out.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

If your just starting out, stay away from drivers for now. However if you want a driver, a great for driver is a DX Leopard. But for now stick to putters and mid rangers until you can throw atleast 150'. Then get a Leopard.

Not freezing here in S TX and I envy your FH! Working to improve my RHBH technique to use exclusively after injuring my arm trying to throw FH. We have some FH throwers on the course that bomb it and make it look easy and I wish I had that in my arsenal. Distance is my biggest problem with 225-250 being my longest tosses. Still enjoy the game though.

Sorry but can't help you with discs since I don't throw FH. I play lighter US usually.

As mentioned above stick to fairways for a little while.
I throw RHFH as well and my fairways are all MVP
MVP Shock, Resistor, Volt and Servo. if you want understable look into an Amp.

You will not be disappointed!

My favorite disc to flick (besides my beat R-Pro Boss) is my Star Beast. However, Teebirds and Gazelles would be a good choice to start with.

I've been FH dominant for 30+ years. My utility driver is a FLX Avenger SS. I hyser-flip it for straight shots, start it flat for a left turn, and if you want it to stay on a hyser, give it a bit more angle. I would start by playing rounds with only a buzzz and a putter to work on form.

Greeting from freezing Florida. New guy to disc golf, old guy
by chronology (retired). Amazed at the size & scope of this sport.
Played 1st practice round & much more comfortable (&longer) with
sidearm. (3rd to 1st).
Any guidance on driver/fairway discs appreciated. thanks

teebird is a good disc, id recommend using a midrange disc to learn to throw. but if you have to use a driver, id say a TL would be a great disc use.

Like many, I started side armed right. I have a few disc I like, the Crush z plastic, MVP Shock, 175g, and a Star Wraith. I like Nuke and Sidewinders for get out of tight spots, tight turns and rollers. I moved to backhand left mostly and I now throw most mid range stuff. If you get to Clearwater, check out Clearwater Disc Golf, largest store I have ever seen. I go twice a year to buy and play.

Latest posts