• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sigh... how I'm throwing these days

I've been throwing a lot of really light, easy to throw stuff, adding some understable fairway drivers at the end.

Putters (2 Pures, Wizard, Ridge, Summit, Aviar)
Mids (2 Comets, Fuse, 2 Sharks, Buzzz, Ibex, Obex, Spider)
Fairway (2 Leopards, Polaris LS, TL, Trak, Stalker, River)

I just found something new that works for me on driving, I watch my disk when I pull back, It automatically makes my shoulders and hips follow my arm. I'm having trouble bringing my eyes back forward at the right time to see where I'm throwing! But I'm working on that. :)

Hey so question... after watching the last two videos you posted, I feel like he's kind of implying you kind of shouldn't consciously put weight on your back foot ever. Is that right?

My understanding of what he's saying is that you should brace against your leading foot (with proper tilt, 70/30 balance or whatever, etc), and that the weight only really shifts to your right foot subconsciously when you go into your backswing, but that it will return to your leading foot naturally.

So before when you were talking about using the instep of the rear foot to load tension in the hips, is this still with 70% pressure on the front leg? There's just a lot of subtlety about where your weight is supposed to be at any given time, not to mention where the movements are supposed to be initiated from, etc. as well as the timing.

For example, I'm still not totally clear on whether the hip movement is a byproduct of what I'm doing with my feet and knees, or whether I've supposed to be engaging my abs more, or if it's just a combination of everything.

This feels like learning how to walk as an adult. :)

I just found something new that works for me on driving, I watch my disk when I pull back, It automatically makes my shoulders and hips follow my arm. I'm having trouble bringing my eyes back forward at the right time to see where I'm throwing! But I'm working on that. :)

I don't remember where I read it, or who said it, but someone way more skilled and trustworthy than me said that you shoukdn't be watching your disc at the point of release. That's why the PDGA rules require everyone who isn't throwing in your group to watch your shot.

Seeing it leave your hands is overrated, and I think you are doing it right!

Hey so question... after watching the last two videos you posted, I feel like he's kind of implying you kind of shouldn't consciously put weight on your back foot ever. Is that right?
For learning sake, yes, it will just happen.

My understanding of what he's saying is that you should brace against your leading foot (with proper tilt, 70/30 balance or whatever, etc), and that the weight only really shifts to your right foot subconsciously when you go into your backswing, but that it will return to your leading foot naturally.
Right, for learning sake. It also makes a difference where in the rear foot you load into. You can consciously shift your weight back but you have to know where it should go. Also please refer your feet as rear/front instead of right/left feet since you are lefty and the rest of us are righties.

So before when you were talking about using the instep of the rear foot to load tension in the hips, is this still with 70% pressure on the front leg? There's just a lot of subtlety about where your weight is supposed to be at any given time, not to mention where the movements are supposed to be initiated from, etc. as well as the timing.

For example, I'm still not totally clear on whether the hip movement is a byproduct of what I'm doing with my feet and knees, or whether I've supposed to be engaging my abs more, or if it's just a combination of everything.

This feels like learning how to walk as an adult. :)
There is a lot subtlety and even many top ball golfers/instructors don't agree on those subtleties. Everything happens from the ground up and is a combination of things. The way you position your hips can set everything else up though. You will often hear the top throwers say you have to have a centered core and everything comes from your center.

This stuff is also gold:

Skip in 2:30:

You are exaggerating the leg and hip movement in your drill too much. In your standstill going to the backswing it looks like you are consciously lifting your front heel/foot up, it should only come up because it gets pulled up. You need to close your stance more to maintain better balance. You are also spinning out with the rear heel like so:

Didn't get any video today because a guy showed up to mow the field, but I did get a chance to practice screwing my back foot down during the throw like sevam1 was talking about.

I was having pretty good success. I'll practice some more, but that seemed to add an extra 20' to my average throw.

Okay, a couple of unrelated questions that would help me progress. I've gotten a few throws out to 340' now standing still with my Leopard or River. But I still can't consistently reproduce it.

One concept that I'm struggling with is that Shawn Clement talks a lot about bracing against the lead knee, and keeping the weight there most of the time. But the other guy focuses on centering the pivot on that specific point in the rear foot. Those two concepts are difficult for me to resolve. (although trying to do both has resulted in some of my best throws, just not consistently)

My other general question is, do you have any videos or pointers for how to start transitioning this to a run up?

Okay, a couple of unrelated questions that would help me progress. I've gotten a few throws out to 340' now standing still with my Leopard or River. But I still can't consistently reproduce it.

One concept that I'm struggling with is that Shawn Clement talks a lot about bracing against the lead knee, and keeping the weight there most of the time. But the other guy focuses on centering the pivot on that specific point in the rear foot. Those two concepts are difficult for me to resolve. (although trying to do both has resulted in some of my best throws, just not consistently)

When I finally started getting big distance on my drives, I was throwing almost all of my weight onto my front leg while still maintaining balance. It is just something that takes time to be able to do consistently.

My other general question is, do you have any videos or pointers for how to start transitioning this to a run up?
They are really talking about the same thing, and torque pressure and where your weight is are not necessarily the same thing. Rear foot should be the backswing torque into focus. The front leg should be the focus on the forward swing to provide some resistance to that uncorking as you have already pre-set that rear torque. The move part 2 talks about that.

Watch how GG and Feldy use a pre-swing before the backswing and the disc stays in the same place for the most part while the body moves around the disc into the backswing instead of moving the disc into the backswing like in a standstill.
Go in to 13:40: