• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Single or Double OB

robbnot

Hallo, we're tweaking our course and hole #1 is 360ft fade right at the end, there is an OB line (driveway to pub) running the length of the hole on the left, about 30ft in front of the Tee on the right we have a tree mando to left. In line with the mando tree all the way upto and circling the basket is a line of trees, it has been suggested that we make an OB line up said trees and move the mando up, making the hole a forehand or lefty shot, it's a very nice hole to play, technical because its only about 30/40ft wide, you can go over ob on left but not on right...
anyway my question is, Should make players throws their discs over a "safety" OB line ?
as at the moment we can throw past the mando and out to the right, which is quite tight,
Or perhaps make the new design part of the gold course, mmmm?
thanks
sorry about quality of pic

Attachments

• Down Grange League 18  - Copy.jpg
    Down Grange League 18 - Copy.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 64
Rob,

To answer your question, it probably comes down to what is the ability of the players that will be playing the hole! To have a 100m+ hole with only a 10-15m wide fairway (after that it's OB) would be very penal for average players. If you do a "trial play" and see that 1/2 (or more!) of your players go OB, it's just probably too much. One side OB with the other side Mando may also be rather tough - as it will almost force players to throw over the OB and anhy back in (as mandos take precedence over OBs).

Just this man's opinion but with the following that seems to be at your plot of land...

12 baskets
15 "holes"
The need for spotters
Limited land
Overlapping holes
Potential safety concerns
The ability to really only have 9 holes (for a tournament) at a time

...perhaps you should consider a total redesign with either 9 (with 2 different tees each) long holes or 18 short holes - if you can't safely put in 18 holes on the land you have to use. I'm basing this on that you really can only have x-somes in a tournament on 9 holes-worth anyway and that 15 hole courses are sort of like kissing your sister (if you know what I mean...there's just something missing there).

Karl

At Winthrop Gold during the USDGC there are several holes that require players to land on a narrow strip (10-15m) with OBs short and long of these strips. But, of course, the players doing this tournament are the elite pros.

The map I put up is our league course, we do have a bigger 18, but we play our league after work in the evening so to make it quicker we re-jigged four of the holes. Normally holes 11-15 play across a meadow, which gets long and is a bugger to find discs in.
Our best player is Ad-Am and we have quite a few newcomers, somedays we spend a lot of time disc hunting,
Currently, on that hole some of the more experienced guys already throw forehand out over the OB whereas the newbies and those without a big forearm tend to go straight up or skim past the current mando out to the right...
We'll play it a couple of times and get some feedback,
Although reading this through I kinda made up my mind, leave it as it is
Thanks for your help guys cheers
Robb

If the mando isn't there for safety reasons remove it. Not much worse than a mando that is there to force a hole to be played a certain way.

If the mando isn't there for safety reasons remove it. Not much worse than a mando that is there to force a hole to be played a certain way.

I think you mean: If a mando is there for safety reasons, remove the hole.

Latest posts