• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slick tee pads, towels, RipItGrip and some thoughts

I completely agree with your sentiments here. 100%
HOWEVER, the thing to remember, as you probably well already know, sometimes the ones installing teepads may be folks who do not play & couldn't give a fat rats hiney about teepads meeting the needs of those playing.

It would be nice to have standardization of baskets, teepads, etc, but it feels we are still a few years away from that. But at the rate of growth we are experiencing right now, though, it may not be that long.

Double edged sword that it is, DG's rate of growth may simply make it that much harder to bring the majority of courses in line with any PDGA legislation for standardizing tees.

And while baskets may not be standardized, there are PDGA approved baskets. Anybody who would install non-pdga approved baskets on a course, is basically looking to limit the number of rounds that get played on that course, whether they realize it or not.

Regardless of what I said that I believe should happen; realistically I know nothing will change until a pro gets seriously hurt. And I hope that doesn't happen. Even if it does happen, it may not create a change since PDGA, the tour, TDs, can say that you can test the tee pad before you throw (which is true, but how many players test the tee pad at full speed?

Nor should it.

The Rules mandate that player "play the course as they find it"; the Rules DO NOT mandate that TDs adapt the course to player's preferences. That puts the onus to adapt squarely and solely on players. Furthemore, the Rules entitle players to a legal stance; they DO NOT entitle players to their preferred stance or even their preferred mode of throwing. If a player suffers a season or career ending injury because he or she is too stubborn or to stupid to adapt to conditions on the teepad, fairway, or green, be it by slowing down, powering down, shortening their runup/reach back/followthrough, standing-and-delivering, or any other means, that's on the player.

Double edged sword that it is, DG's rate of growth may simply make it that much harder to bring the majority of courses in line with any PDGA legislation for standardizing tees.

And while baskets may not be standardized, there are PDGA approved baskets. Anybody who would install non-pdga approved baskets on a course, is basically looking to limit the number of rounds that get played on that course, whether they realize it or not.

Like cone baskets? ;)

I have a pair of Idios but haven't played a ton in them yet. I will say, I played a tournament this past weekend and it rained nearly the whole round, I didn't once have slip issues and my feet stayed dry the entire time. Part of that may have been brand new tee pads that were extra grippy, but part might have been the shoes

Well, how many of your card mates slipped on tee pads......unless they were all wearing Idios, that would give you a general idea.

In my experience, the Idios behave no better in wet conditions than any other shoes. If the teepads are slick, not much you can do with shoes imo. I will say the waterproofing is pretty good and they're great in dry conditions.

In my experience, the Idios behave no better in wet conditions than any other shoes. If the teepads are slick, not much you can do with shoes imo. I will say the waterproofing is pretty good and they're great in dry conditions.

I agree with this and it is a point I have tried to make in the past. Unless you got some really chonky hikers on, a slick teepad is gonna be slick. Also, water resistant is not water proof so don't expect miracles when it comes to shoes.

What about regularly treating concrete Tee Pads with something like Rust-Oleum slip-resistant coating? It is relatively cheap and you just have to spray it on. Thoughts?

I'm thinking you would have to spray it on FREQUENTLY to make that work. it's not super durable. if you wanted to experiment, I would try it on one pad and see how well it holds up

What about regularly treating concrete Tee Pads with something like Rust-Oleum slip-resistant coating? It is relatively cheap and you just have to spray it on. Thoughts?
I am guessing the amount needed and frequency of application would be pretty bad for the environment. Many parks and municipalities may take umbrage with its use.

I'm thinking you would have to spray it on FREQUENTLY to make that work. it's not super durable. if you wanted to experiment, I would try it on one pad and see how well it holds up
Personally, I have not used it, but it is made for outdoor use. I have no idea how durable it is.

I am guessing the amount needed and frequency of application would be pretty bad for the environment. Many parks and municipalities may take umbrage with its use.
I have no idea what the impact on the environment is but that is a good consideration. Thanks for bringing it up.

My local course used a non-slip top coating. As soon as the grit wore out of it (in less than 6 months) it was worse than what it replaced. The problem with the concrete tees at that course is that the smooth gravel aggregate had become exposed and was very slippery when even slightly damp. I suggested a solution to the park of using a diamond wheel to rough up the smooth aggregate. Instead, the park chose the top coating because it was easier to do than lightly grinding the surface of the tees. Some tees are virtually unplayable when wet now.

If only they had used crushed stone instead of smooth gravel.

Latest posts