• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Slightly more stable than a 150g Fission Wave?

ChrisinFL

Eagle Member
So, I had a really nice 148-150g Fission Wave, and threw it into a pond. I bought a replacement, slightly more under stable, and a used one, way more under stable (flippy). I max at maybe 280', but slightly less than that with my Waves, and I want same disc or longer, MVP, but a touch more stable. Thinking I might try two of these: 158g Plasma, 155-160g Fission Wave, and 145-150g Fission Photon. Are these logical discs to try for what I want? Thanks for any input!

I've kept a Fission and Plasma Wave in my bag for more than a year now. Fission Photon in the past, Plasma Photon since the spring, looking for fade or skip. Fission needs more lateral movement, but stable, less lateral movement than a Star Mamba. Plasma more stable for hitting lines in the woods, best if I have a left center line for my LHBH. Since transitioning from 2-step to 3-step those discs will fly differently, more arm speed. IMO at our age and form building, weight matters.

Fission Wave for windy days in the open or lightly wooded I like to bag a 148g for downwind, but this year on a 3-step I'm getting more distance in a headwind vs downwind, that should change as I work on arm whip. The heavier the weight, the less lateral movement I can use them in wooded courses. The past few months a 159g and love it, stays in the middle with ending fade, use in the woods only. When its beat in more, I'll see if I can use it in the open for a more weighted downwind disc. I have a 162g, and 165g waiting for their turn, however long it takes to get there. When I get to the 165g perhaps around 170g? I'm currently working on arm whip with my 3-step, faster arm whip heavier weight.

My suggestion to you is if you had a comfort level with the Fission Wave 148-150g jump up on the weight perhaps around a 155g and work with it until your next comfort level however long it takes. Jumping up on weight for more stability, and with more arm speed distance. Have patience.

I've only been around a 170g when I had a few Fissions Photon's, best downwind on a fade, but not close in distance to the Fission Wave, so why keep it. I did try a 148g once, nowhere close to the heavier Fission Photon in distance. I like the Plasma Photon for stable wood play to hit lines and skip around doglegs, very short distance, but I don't have it for distance, that's why I have a Plasma Zenith, and a new DD1 for the woods. But you do need a disc for more fade than a wave will give you, so give it a try.

Plasma Wave love them, at this time inventory has been scarce for the past three months, nothing below 170g, I've been looking for new production a few times a week. There good for hitting lines in the woods with distance. When I had a 163g, I could hit 300 on an occasion in the woods normally less, when I wasn't hitting a tree, lost it back in June, none to be found, 167g less distance, lost it in August, 171g less distance. When production resumes, I plan on getting two 163g, seems to be my best weight in the Plasma.

It seems likely next year when I start on the 4-step, all this could change, as it did coming off the 2-step.

I saw your comment about difficulty with mid's. In the past 17 months flipping over to MVP/Axiom the Plasma Prism Pyro 179g from day 1 was an easy throw and has been a consistent fade/hyzer for the past 14 months. Eclipse Reactor 178g dead straight from day1 , developed an ending fade eventually, short on distance. My newest as of a month ago Neutron Reactor 173g left center and long past the Eclipse, and Pyro. Starting on day 1 as well. Eclipse Hex 174g took about 6 months from a turn to a nice long S curve now, and Plasma Hex 174g from a turn to left center took about 3 months. Failures both a Fission, and Neutron Hex nothing but turn, traded them when the Eclipse Hex arrived. Other brands from the past only a Westside Warship, and Metal Flake Roc I had success with, but took some work.

I hope these thoughts help you in some way, good luck!

A guy I play with uses a lot of mid range discs. It is weird - he does great with putters and mids, and says the drivers get him no added distance, and are way less accurate and consistent. Exact opposite of me (if I use power grip)! I have Roc3, Shark, Fuse, Mako3, and more, and I suck with all of them. I refuse to buy any more mids until I actually throw some that work for me. I have wondered if MVP mids might be the answer, but at their about $20/disc prices, I want to throw one I actually like before buying any! Anyways, he has some MVP mids, and it should be pretty easy to get him to let me throw a few and see if I can throw them better. It would be nice to have a mid range disc I can throw half way decent. As it is, I just use my putting putters (Fierce), then my Watt as an approach disc, and all of them with a fan grip.

I've kept a Fission and Plasma Wave in my bag for more than a year now. Fission Photon in the past, Plasma Photon since the spring, looking for fade or skip. Fission needs more lateral movement, but stable, less lateral movement than a Star Mamba. Plasma more stable for hitting lines in the woods, best if I have a left center line for my LHBH. Since transitioning from 2-step to 3-step those discs will fly differently, more arm speed. IMO at our age and form building, weight matters.

Fission Wave for windy days in the open or lightly wooded I like to bag a 148g for downwind, but this year on a 3-step I'm getting more distance in a headwind vs downwind, that should change as I work on arm whip. The heavier the weight, the less lateral movement I can use them in wooded courses. The past few months a 159g and love it, stays in the middle with ending fade, use in the woods only. When its beat in more, I'll see if I can use it in the open for a more weighted downwind disc. I have a 162g, and 165g waiting for their turn, however long it takes to get there. When I get to the 165g perhaps around 170g? I'm currently working on arm whip with my 3-step, faster arm whip heavier weight.

My suggestion to you is if you had a comfort level with the Fission Wave 148-150g jump up on the weight perhaps around a 155g and work with it until your next comfort level however long it takes. Jumping up on weight for more stability, and with more arm speed distance. Have patience.

I've only been around a 170g when I had a few Fissions Photon's, best downwind on a fade, but not close in distance to the Fission Wave, so why keep it. I did try a 148g once, nowhere close to the heavier Fission Photon in distance. I like the Plasma Photon for stable wood play to hit lines and skip around doglegs, very short distance, but I don't have it for distance, that's why I have a Plasma Zenith, and a new DD1 for the woods. But you do need a disc for more fade than a wave will give you, so give it a try.

Plasma Wave love them, at this time inventory has been scarce for the past three months, nothing below 170g, I've been looking for new production a few times a week. There good for hitting lines in the woods with distance. When I had a 163g, I could hit 300 on an occasion in the woods normally less, when I wasn't hitting a tree, lost it back in June, none to be found, 167g less distance, lost it in August, 171g less distance. When production resumes, I plan on getting two 163g, seems to be my best weight in the Plasma.

It seems likely next year when I start on the 4-step, all this could change, as it did coming off the 2-step.

I saw your comment about difficulty with mid's. In the past 17 months flipping over to MVP/Axiom the Plasma Prism Pyro 179g from day 1 was an easy throw and has been a consistent fade/hyzer for the past 14 months. Eclipse Reactor 178g dead straight from day1 , developed an ending fade eventually, short on distance. My newest as of a month ago Neutron Reactor 173g left center and long past the Eclipse, and Pyro. Starting on day 1 as well. Eclipse Hex 174g took about 6 months from a turn to a nice long S curve now, and Plasma Hex 174g from a turn to left center took about 3 months. Failures both a Fission, and Neutron Hex nothing but turn, traded them when the Eclipse Hex arrived. Other brands from the past only a Westside Warship, and Metal Flake Roc I had success with, but took some work.

I hope these thoughts help you in some way, good luck!
I am doing about the same thing with my Innova F2 distance drivers - gradually moving up 5g at a time or so with my favorites as I add arm speed/distance, and/or going to same weight but more stable plastic (was first DX, then Pro/GStar/Star, and last gradually trying some Champion, which I originally hated as way too stable for me). But, Innova F2 Friday deal prices are cheap enough that I don't mind experimenting a lot. MVP's $20/disc price - I struggle a bit digesting that, so I have to really think their disc is something special in order to buy them!

TLDR haha. least to most stable..

155 fizz wave-> 155 plasma wave ->160 fizz -> 155 N -> 160 plasma -> 165 fizz ->160 neutron etc.

170 fizz -> 145g fission photon etc..

I am doing about the same thing with my Innova F2 distance drivers - gradually moving up 5g at a time or so with my favorites as I add arm speed/distance, and/or going to same weight but more stable plastic (was first DX, then Pro/GStar/Star, and last gradually trying some Champion, which I originally hated as way too stable for me). But, Innova F2 Friday deal prices are cheap enough that I don't mind experimenting a lot. MVP's $20/disc price - I struggle a bit digesting that, so I have to really think their disc is something special in order to buy them!
I was coming back to make a suggestion, but Sheep partially beat me to it in the Disc Weight thread. You seem to be throwing the Star Term well enough, it's a Stable disc. When I throw a stable disc its a good indicator on how well my form was during the throw. Instead of spending a ton of money on a variety of discs as you elevate disc weight, anchor on the Star Tern to the next weight, and when your good there, pull the others up with you those that you use or have the fun with the most. The Star Tern when I had one, were straight center right and reliable, use them primarily in the woods. Another Innova was a Star TL3 stable center left also used for the woods, when I used them and wavered off the line, I could blame the form during the throw. These two I've had thoughts of bringing back in my bag for low canopy in the woods for straight down fairway, perhaps sometime later.

In the MVP/Axiom wheelhouse the following are stable in my bag Plasma Crave, Plasma Servo, Neutron Rhythm, Plasma Insanity, Plasma Inertia, and your already using the Wave.

I'm not suggesting going out and buy all of them. But if there's a disc store in your area with a large selection, go do some gripping to see what feels good, and perhaps a few with different speeds, and center your form building around them as you progress in distance, and I recommend with weight advancement. And patience.

Your Mid range problem, a quick fix for me was the Reactor in both Eclipse, and Neutron. The Hex numbers also suggest a quick fix, but it was a struggle, and glad I stuck it out with the Lizotte and Plasma there both now a joy to throw and took several months to get there.

As ThrowaEnvy stated in the other thread your making progress with a large assortment of disc, but perhaps just narrow it down to a few stable disc for field work, and I have found my others will eventually follow. If you can do that, you may find your pace quicken? I've found the form building fun, and then 17 months ago flipping the bag primarily to MVP/Axiom just as fun sorting out what disc will do what. I'm looking forward to the MVP 12-speed Time-Lapse arriving in about a month for headwind, but its going to have competition waiting for it in a Philo Star Destroyer good for crosswind, a flat Horizon Cloudbreaker for headwind hyzer, and what has been the best headwind disc I've had yet a DD3 left center fairway with ending fade also for headwind. Sorting it out seems to never stop. It will be fun to see where the Time-Lapse fits in at, and I like this type of fun as well. It seems you also have this type of enjoyment working out your disc inventory.

Latest posts