• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slingshot! Illegal to carry?

Who the hell hunts with just a knife....I mean, besides Chuck Norris, of course...who only really needs a knife when he's hunting grizzly bears...

Illegal in TEXAS? Illegal in TEXAS? A slingshot is illegal in Texas... Illegal in TEXAS?

Who the hell hunts with just a knife....I mean, besides Chuck Norris, of course...who only really needs a knife when he's hunting grizzly bears...

I actually like to go hunting with a dull swiss army knife. It makes it more exciting when you have to stab the deer 500 times.

lol I've never heard anyone have a fit about a slingshot, especially in Texas. I actually keep a pretty good sized knife in my bag I bet he would wet himself if he saw it.

I've always thought of primative hunting season as a year long event. If I have a knife and something runs at me, it's time to go hunting.

It's coming right for us!!

I know right, we have laws, who woulda thunkit :D

Yeah, I think there are laws against not being armed.

If a knife is a primitive weapon, then I think a slingshot is probably fine. You might not want to come out of the park with a string of squirrels and beaver trailing from your bag though.

I carry my .45 ACP to get discs out of trees so that I don't have to deal with this. Since, I am have a concealed weapons license, it's perfectly legal. All my discs have quarter size holes in them now.

At first I was thinking "Man, it's probably not good for his gun to throw it at discs"

Man I bet it took that guy a lot of time to get that accurate with that sling shot. It almost makes me want to go buy one and start shootin'. I'll leave it in the car in Texas though

Or if you are a gambling man just use another disc to try and get a stuck disc down.

59.131 Definitions.
The following words and terms when used in this chapter, shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.

Arms and Firearms: Any device from which shot, a projectile, arrow, or bolt is fired by the force of an explosion, compressed air, gas or mechanical device. To include, but not limited to, rifle, shotgun, handgun, air rifle, pellet gun, longbow, cross bow, sling shot, blow gun, or dart gun.

Doesn't something have to have moving, working, parts to be considered mechanical? How does elastic qualify as mechanical? On the other hand, sling shots were used by the IRA as a weapon. However, yo-yo's were originally weapons as well, so should they be banned as weapons? I'm pretty sure a 3rd rate lawyer could get you out of sling shot possession charges if you actually were arrested.

Either way, I better not get arrested for when I use my atlatl hunting with stone projectile points. I better wear my blaze orange loin cloth and pelts just to be on the safe side.

Actually, I got into throwing knives when I was 20. Some guy that was a friend of a friends uncle, who we stayed with when visiting in Dallas, actually; had a cork dart board and a bunch of steak knives with the wooded part of the handle busted off. When I asked him about it, he wound up teaching me how to throw.

After a bunch of clanks from the knifes bouncing across the ground, my buddy and his brother who were inside, started to hear more thuds of the knives sticking. Him and his brother came out to see what was going on and were a bit nervous when I started hitting all 6 knives in the circle of the inner double score line consitantly.

Only in Texas.

Anyway, when I got back home to Ohio, I started looking things up and eventually got myself an 18" throwing Bowie to dork off with, and along with it came a book about knife hunting for wild boar. They actually throw from a tree stand a big knife like I got and have it so the handle will strike the boar in the head to stun it while they jump down from the tree stand and hurry to the proper distance for the right rotation of their knife then throw a 2nd knife for the kill.

Had a book somewhere but thats been 11 years ago.

You get a nice Star Wraith, and you got a nice throwing wepon. You could really hurt someone with a good throw

like midnight said just carry a baseball in ya bag that's what i do. that's if there arn't any branches lw enought for me to climb the tree lol

Personally I carry a cheap slingshot that has the "wrist brace" deal. I have NO IDEA if it's legal..but I'm not really worried about it.

I have owned like 5 of these over the years, all except my current having come from a local Wal*Mart..not even behind a counter or anything. I didn't even look at Wal*Mart for this one as I bought it for a total of $4 shipped, brand new, with a replacement tube.

I figure it will be in my bag 99% of it's life and most of the places I could get it stuck in a high tree are: 1) not well populated 2) not near police officers 3) generally someplace I can hide in the woods.

\/\/

Well, with all the new anti-terrorist laws that have been put into effect lately, who knows?

Truth, but as a fellow Texan I feel this is the LAST place where a silly slingshot law would be passed...its Texas...we ride horses to school and shoot things for a living (at least thats what some other states may think.)

Ask him if you can have some of what he is smoking, if thats your thing

Latest posts