• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slower discs can lead to better scores

FWIW My age and injuries have brought me full circle to where a champ Leopard is once again my primary driver. While I miss my Vikings (never clicked with anything faster), I'd forgotten how sweet that disc is.

Kinda depends on the course. All woods all the time? Might as well bring the lids & leave the drivers at home. Open holes? Yeah, the Corvette will probably get thrown.

I'm going to give the "best" advice. Throw the disc that gets you the best scores.

This, of course, is simply stating the obvious, but the obvious is sometimes not so obvious. What kind of lines are available? Which of those lines can you throw successfully more often? Can you creatively use a disc that gives you an even better percentage?

An example: on the course I play most often, there are three holes in a row that all list at about 190. One is a left to right turnover that rises and then falls, so plays approximately flat. The next is uphill and has a diamond of trees between you and the basket. You can play a flex to either side to park the hole, but the right gap is skinnier. The third is uphill and a left to right turnover.

I'm throwing an easy putter turnover with beat in neutral flying putter on holes 1 and 3. On hole 2, I play an extremely overstable fairway driver on a flex forehand. That's the easiest shot shape that is the least risky and is capable of parking the hole. I could throw a straight putter to about 25 left of the basket, but that's never going to park the hole and the miss on that shot is much more likely to result in bogey.

Basically, all I'm saying is think about what you can do to score your best most consistently.

The first ace I witnessed on the course was a 230' tunnel shot. The disc? A pro Beast. A few holes later, same guy doinks one off the top of the basket on a fairly wide open 270' hole, with a Champ Katana.

I play with a guy, he bought or I gave him my orange star 169 beast I won in Nanaimo.. He's had it so long it's yellow and you can barely see the stamp. He only recently used a putter. He flick putts everything 30' +. He's a machine great guy to get as a partner. It's infuriating but he gets lots of aces and low scores.

I get the wide rimmed love, I played one disc for a decade, pick one out of the box and go for a round. I can use a putter and a driver and be pretty solid.

Scoring/ tournaments etc I do what gives me low scores, I used a Zone as a crutch for years hides lots of flaws. I also take more discs than I need, the kind I will only throw on 3 holes. Haha. Rest of the time I try to do the "right thing".

A blended dual approach is best but feel guilt about your 13's. :D let me tell you about my 155 fission octane haha, easiest 300' ever!

Push for better, but play what pays.

Field work can sort this out for anyone. Take your drivers and throw them head to head, and not accuracy and distance.

I get my best combo of distance and accuracy with not so high speed distance drivers, Sword & Wraith.

Katanas go farthest, but are less accurate. Saints and Thunderbirds are more accurate, but not as long on average.

I'd probably do best working on hyzer-flips U/S fairways like Underworld and Roadrunner, because when I hit then just right they go far and pretty close to where I want.

Couldn't find a meme thread which I thought there was one but I guess this is an appropriate place to post this

6mc3cl.jpg

I was playing a round with a friend, he's pretty casual about DG. We came up on a 200 ft hole where he pulled out a statlige Tern. On the next hole, a 550 ft par 4 he threw a Leopard. When I asked him about discchoice he said that the Term goes straight while the Leo goes far

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Speed 11 and 12's I think are the best combination of speed and accuracy. I do have a Pro Ballista a VIP X Giant I am liking for headwind distance though. Little faster and more beef works well when the wind is howling. Normally Destroyers and Wraiths are fine. Flippy Wraiths are great for tailwinds. They don't fade too much.

My personal best on my home course was shot with 4 discs; Star Eagle, Gstar Leopard, beat KC Roc and a Yeti Aviar.
I still can't get it through my thick head sometimes that I really don't need much more.

I guess i like trying discs, but I haven't bought anything over a speed nine in years and I only carry 7 speeds when I play.

Speed, weight and stability is the combo you must find for yourself.

The many discs that I have purchased has led me to believe that stability trumps weight and speed. A good driver can range anywhere from 7 to 11 in speed, my comfort zone, but it must be understable relative to my arm speed as I tend to throw on a hyzer both fh and bh.

I was playing a round with a friend, he's pretty casual about DG. We came up on a 200 ft hole where he pulled out a statlige Tern. On the next hole, a 550 ft par 4 he threw a Leopard. When I asked him about discchoice he said that the Term goes straight while the Leo goes far

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

I parked a 400+ foot wooded hole using a Star Leopard that I threw with at maybe 80% power because the Leopard just keeps going, and going.

Would I be able to replicate that throw with that amount of distance while also avoiding like 4-5 trees in the line? Probably not but man, that absolutely blew my mind when it happened.