• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slowing down REALLY helps(no secret, just my two cents)

BennettUA

Lefty Activist
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I know that people have been saying it since the beginning of sports, but this is my personal two cents on how cleaning up form and slowing down improved my game.

I tweaked my back but GOOD at the A-tier Charleston Classic in early December. I mean it when I say it, I could not have finished the tournament had I not had my girl caddying, it was that bad. BUT, I had paid for the priveldge to play the event, and the accomodations of Charleston.

I had to eliminate my x- step -- too much movement and twist that would always spark the pain in my back, and cause errant throws. I couldn't escape concentrating on the expected pain, instead of my throw.

So I threw from a standstill. I didn't have a choice.

I directed my focus to my arm -- proper nose angle; pulling through tight to the chest; pivoting at the elbow(I tend to straight-arm because I have daddy-long-arms); gripping like the old golf club addage "hold it like a bird; firm enough it can't fly away, but not so firm that you squeeze the life out of it;" and with the leftover focus juice, I visualized the line(and simplified that) and REALLY concentrated hard on blending it all together.

The proof was instantaneous -- I was throwing further than I could with a full X-step, and without powering up my muscles to crank out the extra distance. I was also much more consistent -- eliminating so many variables and slimming things down kept me in plane and on target.

This all made perfect sense to me, as I had done similar things in other sports to improve -- pitching baseball, shooting basketball, etc -- all improved dramatically when I really shored up my form to as simple as possible.

Cleaning up my form, regardless that it was based on pain avoidance, was netting me strokes, smiles, and a great finish on two courses I had never thrown before. I have since healed enough to use the x-step, but I don't use it much for now, and when I do I slow WAY down, more for rhythm than extra D.

I thought I knew everything there was to know about disc golf, and that I had plateaued, which is a sickening feeling when you watch others improving around you and you're stuck in a rut. Now I have that first-year awareness and exhiliration again, and it's all due to slowing down and realllllllly focusing on clean form.

Still a long way to go, but cleaning up my technique has made me a better player, with less injuries, less fatigue, and most importantly, less strokes :D I'm definitely throwing LONGER at LESS POWER thanks to working and focusing on clean form.

That is all, just had to put it out there, it's really geeked me up for the coming tourney season!

it has probably prolonged the life of your shoes also. We played in the rainy, snowy day on saturday and there were a few complaints about footing on the course. I never had the issue. I have a step thru instead of a run up. When in doubt i throw a forehand. You never know what the footing conditions will be where your discs land.

Keep doing what you are doing. Maybe others will figure out their problems and learn from you.

Couldnt agree more sir. Ive shared the same problems as you with a hurt back and it was really frustrating when playing. All you think about is the pain or how can i throw without being in pain. I slowed down my x step and tightened everything up just as you.ive had rounds where no pain is present and yet i still will have good rounds. Sometimes i get all giddy when i dont feel pain because ive played with it fpr so long,that i speed things up and its back to square one. Its hard to maintain that simple ,effective change but it does wonders. Im definitely trying to make my changes more permanent than temprorary . Good luck to you man and keep on keepin on.

I had to eliminate my x- step -- too much movement and twist that would always spark the pain in my back, and cause errant throws. I couldn't escape concentrating on the expected pain, instead of my throw.

It looks like you're trying to hold in a poop when you tweak it good.

I haven't had any back pain, but I have been practicing throwing from a standstill. The problem for me is I can't seem to find my rhythm in the throw without the runup. The lack of rhythm of course, leads to decreased accuracy. I'm thinking of maybe trying to get used to a simple 2 step throw. Something slow and simple enough to get more out of my throws, but still some movement to keep my rhythm.

It looks like you're trying to hold in a poop when you tweak it good.

Yep -- I waddle, stop periodically, and grimmace. :eek:

Video will confirm bergdawg's spot-on analysis, but I am not prone to post such self-deprication. I'll save it for the blooper reel, of which bergdawg will now spend more time starring in :popcorn:

I noticed all these same things bout my form and glad I caught it early in me learning this game. Due mostly to the snow/icy conditions here in the winter along with the fact that theres only one dg course relatively close to where I live and the tee boxs are tore up, rutted and can be dangerous if you try too much of an x-step. By slowing down and sort of doing more of a shuffle/skip it has improved my form, distance, and accuracy drastically. Sometimes you gotta do baby steps in life before you just hit the ground running.

I noticed the difference with this when watching the old marshall street dvds from 04 and 05. When you watch most of the advanced players and then watch the open players, you definitely notice how herky jerky the advanced players are compared to the elite. Smooth and slow is far....

I usually don't do a fast run up Unless it's after a round and I'm feeling limber. Slowing the runup creates a bigger window to for my hit. Just like you said though, I focus more on my upper body and a clean release. It helps so so much.

My run up looks like Charles Barkley trying to hit a golf ball.

Check out Furyk's head movement(or lack thereof). As strange as his arms appear to move, he keeps his head in check until he pulls through, and starts with his hips:

And again with Sir Charles and his poetic fluidity(start at 1 minute mark):

Latest posts