• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Smart Disc from westside

A deeper dive into the filings finds that the Black Box is "not waterproof but is water resistant and should be kept as dry as possible;" and that it "can withstand impact, but it should be thrown only in an open area without trees, cliffs or other obstacles that could damage the smart disc. It is possible to break the unit by throwing it hard into a tree or into any hard object."

Seems like its more of a training tool rather than a disc you can use on the course.

That article is a year old. Nothing new has been reported on the technology. I wouldn't expect anything from Westside about it in the near future.

Seems like its more of a training tool rather than a disc you can use on the course.

I think course use would give false info anyway. I can only imagine the havoc a 25' tree impact would have on an accelerometer. Logging 700+' drives off of cliffs etc. Then add in the cost of dunking one of these in the lake and needing to replace it. I already get angry when my discs go for a swim.

I wasn't trying to disparage the disc just making an observation. I could see how recording such info during a long tournament day would be helpful.

I saw a smart basketball at a large sporting goods retailer. I think it was made by Wilson. I was going to buy it for fun but then saw the $99 price tag.

Yep. It was supposed to go in to Destinys and Catapults. I throw both. Still waiting.

I tried asking Janne a while back and he told me to piss off. ok, notrly. he told me to read the dynamic discs newsletter to find out about new releases, which netted me the same amount of information.