• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Smoke the chains with a Roach

Maybe we could talk about the disc now since this discussion has already been had about this disc. Search the 2015 ace race.

I played the ace race and both discs were puddle tops at max weight, one yellow and one black. I thought it was a decent disc, held a line at different speeds and angles. Others in the group didn't like it very much. Some had discs with different amounts of dome, which my have thrown them off. Curious what kind of dome the production run has, especially since it's in a plastic not used for ace race.

How does it compare to a Magnet? Is it beaded?

Fairly similar I'd say, flight wise. Neutral-understable overall, very straight off a hyzer-flip and probably will beat into a good anny holder. Yes, the Roach has a noticeable bead. It's got a really rounded nose on it, like a Focus. The domes on the protos were all over the map. I've got an extremely concave one, a slightly concave one and a slightly domey one. I really like the concave ones for putting and slightly prefer the domey one for throwing.

I like it best for putting, I'm very tempted to make the switch. Does not take much spin to putt them straight. The only problem with the Roach is if you flip the kitchen light on they'll scurry under the refrigerator.

How did the concave ones fly on a drive? I always wanted a premium plastic Yeti for driving.

How did the concave ones fly on a drive? I always wanted a premium plastic Yeti for driving.

Not enough throws to tell you. All I can tell you is it behaves a bit faster. Mine is black and I didn't want to lose it in the leaves during the Ace Race, lol.

I thought my puddle tops were ok on drives. I don't have great form and I don't remember flipping any over, don't have much power either. Like Brother Dave said, they are on the understable side, but maybe the Z plastic make it more neutral.

PDGA site:

Roaches Now Infesting Many Courses

The Roach disc from Discraft was PDGA Approved as of 11-30-15.

"The Discraft Roach putter has been thoroughly field tested as the 2015 Ace Race prototype disc, which was made available in Pro D plastic. The stock version is being released in Z plastic. A straight flier with extra glide, the Roach is crafty in avoiding danger while incessantly pursuing chains. Just point and shoot. It feels great in the hand too. Expect the Roach to be multiplying quickly on courses everywhere. Discraft Big Z Roach Putt and Approach Stability rating: 0.0. Suitable for all players." - by Discraft

I only have the protos from the ace race to draw from, which are grippy D plastic not the production Z, but for me there is little difference between the domey and concave as far as flight.
it's a straight flyer. much more hss than one might expect with little fade. i wasn't turning it over bh, and one guy in our group threw exclusively fh and never turned and burned it.(he was actually leading in metal hits after 1 round)
I'm actually disappointed it's come out in Z plastic- I was considering replacing my rff wizard<gasp>...

Fairly similar I'd say, flight wise. Neutral-understable overall, very straight off a hyzer-flip and probably will beat into a good anny holder. Yes, the Roach has a noticeable bead. It's got a really rounded nose on it, like a Focus. The domes on the protos were all over the map. I've got an extremely concave one, a slightly concave one and a slightly domey one. I really like the concave ones for putting and slightly prefer the domey one for throwing.

I like it best for putting, I'm very tempted to make the switch. Does not take much spin to putt them straight. The only problem with the Roach is if you flip the kitchen light on they'll scurry under the refrigerator.

A couple of my buddies came back from an Ace Race with these discs. I thought that they were Avair like... But better plastic.
I throw slim line putters, so it had little appeal to me as a putter, but it did glide nice. I never got a chance to drive with them.

I aced with one and hit metal a few times on a number of different lines.

They had decent HSS with not much fade on a flat throw.

I will definitely try one out in Z.

They need to rename this disc. I will never, EVER, buy a disc named "roach". The roach is a disgusting, filthy insect that should be eradicated from the face of this earth. The other use of the term "roach" pertains to illegal drug use.

Bottom line, this may be a great disc, but Discraft made an exceptionally poor choice in the name of it. I really am stunned at how thoughtless Discraft was about this.

LOL, lighten up Francis. I'm sure it was intended to tie in with the insect theme of their mid-ranges, and I don't doubt the drug use reference was intentional as well. Normally I don't like tie-ins with the drug culture of our sport, but unlike Fly High's ham-handed references this is at least slightly more subtle and fits with an existing theme. I guess that's why it bothers me less than some of the other goofy names out there.

-------------------------------------
Translation
-------------------------------------
I'M LOOKING TO BE OUTRAGED BY TRIVIAL THINGS.

CARE TO ENGAGE IN A HEATED ONLINE DEBATE ABOUT IT?

^^ Nailed it!

Officer: Do you have any drugs in the car?

Civilian: No but I do have a couple roaches in the back seat

I'm not trying to debate political points here (on the Crank or the Colt).

My point is that "roach" is a filthy, disease carrying insect that keeps the Raid company in business, and for a company to even consider naming a product after such repulsive filth shows why they're so far behind Innova in disc golf sales.

This isn't trolling; I'm pointing out a serious and huge mistake by Discraft. If they want to continue down this road of sheer stupidity and repulsive disc-naming... hey, it's a free country, go for it. But good grief, what stupidity.

Chopper Reid would tell you to harden the f@#$ up.