• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snap

VyZx

Birdie Member
I have been playing for about 7 months. I can send my Champion Katana and Orc consistently about 280', stretching out occasionally to about 320'. (I know this isn't impressive.)

I am a big guy and my distance seems to be all arm. I struggle to get the snap that other players have. I feel if I can get this down I can get into the 350' range consistently. I have 2 questions:

1)Do any of the consistent players out there have any tips on how to improve my snap?

2) How long does it take the average premium plastic do beat in properly?

(Please if you are one of the thousands that can't drive your local 300' hole and then come on here and boast 450' to fit in, don't bother answering.)

I have been playing for about 7 months. I can send my Champion Katana and Orc consistently about 280', stretching out occasionally to about 320'. (I know this isn't impressive.)

I am a big guy and my distance seems to be all arm. I struggle to get the snap that other players have. I feel if I can get this down I can get into the 350' range consistently. I have 2 questions:

1)Do any of the consistent players out there have any tips on how to improve my snap?

(Please if you are one of the thousands that can't drive your local 300' hole and then come on here and boast 450' to fit in, don't bother answering.)

One of the things you can work on is to "disc down". If you are throwing 280 with a katana, it's probably too much disc for you. Work on getting your putter and mids out there to about 250 or so, then see what you can do with a high speed driver.

if you can't throw over 400 feet, don't throw anything over speed 9 on innova's chart

bad, bad noob! *swats orcs and katanas out of your bag with rolled up news paper and replaces them with teebirds and leopards*

I'd check out beatos right pec drill, and the hammer pound drill.

But yeah, you shouldn't be throwing a katana 280'.

I think you are both probably right, but I can get my Buzzz to around 220'-240' consistently, so I feel I am improving. So what you are both saying is that I should be throwing a Leopard or a Teebird instead of a Katana?

What are some other discs that I should try specifically?

Also, any thoughts on my question about wear?

Thanks

Teebirds, Leopards, Sidewinder would be good also. Avenger SS or an XL might be good if you like discraft hmmm... what else, I'm sure there are tons.

Maybe a Roadrunner or even a Gazelle.

Last edited:
The wear question depends on the plastic, esp/star takes months, champ/z takes even longer

Extremely helpful.

That's an interesting way to think about the throw. I can't wait to grab my Leopard and get out and try it.

Look at the cajones on this one, lol.

I could turn it around and be a dick - "please if youre one of the thousands that come on here posting a thread that has been discussed 450,000 times without first searching don't expect help";)

But instead I'll say it nicely - we've got some really good resources on here, check out some of the threads mentioned above for help, and definitely start with the Beato/Beto video and the "more snap" parts 1 and 2.

I do appreciate your help, and if it's bad form, I apologize, but with all due respect, I have spent numerous hours on this site reading and have learned alot, however there is so much information on here that it would be nearly impossible for someone with a full-time job to be able to dig through it all.

I've learned a couple of things in the last few months; there are more fakers than makers at the local course and on these forums. The only difference is on here it's a little more difficult to tell the difference.

I do appreciate your help, and if it's bad form, I apologize, but with all due respect, I have spent numerous hours on this site reading and have learned alot, however there is so much information on here that it would be nearly impossible for someone with a full-time job to be able to dig through it all.

I've learned a couple of things in the last few months; there are more fakers than makers at the local course and on these forums. The only difference is on here it's a little more difficult to tell the difference.

i'm going to be completely honest with you: you can read all you want here and yet it helps to a certain degree, but its 10% of the battle. the best thing i did was get out to the course and play with people better than me. i watched what they did closely, i asked them what they were doing, i asked them to help. when i see a poor shot, i try to figure out why their shot was bad as to help work towards preventing myself from doing the same. the best way to get better and fix problems is to play hard and smart

and buy a leopard

i'm going to be completely honest with you: you can read all you want here and yet it helps to a certain degree, but its 10% of the battle. the best thing i did was get out to the course and play with people better than me. i watched what they did closely, i asked them what they were doing, i asked them to help. when i see a poor shot, i try to figure out why their shot was bad as to help work towards preventing myself from doing the same. the best way to get better and fix problems is to play hard and smart

and buy a leopard

Yep and when u can't get to the course, watch videos of tournament golf on youtube. There's tons of good ones.

Ive been playing about 7 months myself and have a question that is on topic to the OP.
I have a DX leopard and star leopard. The DX leopard is so flippy that if I release it level it will turn over to the right and become a roller. The star plastic flies pretty straight with a little fade at the end. Im guessing that is just because the DX is really beat in? Im throwing about the same as the OP as well. About 260-280 depending on disc. I've hit about 300 before with griplock but only once.

To the OP, most of what others said is good advice (though I don't agree that unless you throw 400' you shouldn't touch anything faster than a Valk...maybe nothing beyond speed 11 until you push 400', but not speed 9). To add a slightly new angle, I've generally found that to hit the 350 mark, all it takes is having the basics of form down completely. To push beyond that, that's really when snap starts to come into play. So if you're only hitting about 280-300, then there's probably some issue with your form on a broader level. Without seeing a video of what exactly you look like while driving, there are a few common culprits.

1. (and this is generally the biggest) Throwing with nose up. It can be caused either by the disc being oriented slightly nose up in relation to your forearm, or if the disc is in line with your forearm, your release angle is throwing the disc slightly upward. Check your alignment first and then if that doesn't fix it, focus on not throwing from hip to shoulder...think of throwing from nipple to nipple. This can also be aided by making sure your weight is more over your front foot on release.

2. Not turning your shoulders completely away from the target. More shoulder turn = more power. If you're one of many people who aren't comfortable looking completely away from your target, you will have a tendency to not turn completely away, therefore robbing yourself of power. You basically want your shoulders to be perpendicular to the line you want to throw on before you begin your actual throw.

3. The dreaded OAT monster. Faster discs can mask this problem some, but it also can rob you of distance. Discing down is a great way to fix this. Use slower, less stable discs that will reveal the problem, and then work on throwing those without OAT. This generally means being aware of wrist roll and removing it from your throws.

To the OP, most of what others said is good advice (though I don't agree that unless you throw 400' you shouldn't touch anything faster than a Valk...maybe nothing beyond speed 11 until you push 400', but not speed 9). To add a slightly new angle, I've generally found that to hit the 350 mark, all it takes is having the basics of form down completely. To push beyond that, that's really when snap starts to come into play. So if you're only hitting about 280-300, then there's probably some issue with your form on a broader level. Without seeing a video of what exactly you look like while driving, there are a few common culprits.

1. (and this is generally the biggest) Throwing with nose up. It can be caused either by the disc being oriented slightly nose up in relation to your forearm, or if the disc is in line with your forearm, your release angle is throwing the disc slightly upward. Check your alignment first and then if that doesn't fix it, focus on not throwing from hip to shoulder...think of throwing from nipple to nipple. This can also be aided by making sure your weight is more over your front foot on release.

2. Not turning your shoulders completely away from the target. More shoulder turn = more power. If you're one of many people who aren't comfortable looking completely away from your target, you will have a tendency to not turn completely away, therefore robbing yourself of power. You basically want your shoulders to be perpendicular to the line you want to throw on before you begin your actual throw.

3. The dreaded OAT monster. Faster discs can mask this problem some, but it also can rob you of distance. Discing down is a great way to fix this. Use slower, less stable discs that will reveal the problem, and then work on throwing those without OAT. This generally means being aware of wrist roll and removing it from your throws.

So here's the plan, for a month or so, when I go out, I will only take my Buzzz and Leopard with me....What exactly am I looking for?

Also, everyone on here has a different definition of OAT; Can you tell me what specifically I should work on in relation to that?

The simplest form of OAT is disc flutter. If you release, and the discs flutters, you've introduced OAT into the throw. 9 times out of 10 its caused by you rolling your wrist through your throw. In my case, when it shows up, it's almost always me rolling my wrist over (i.e. towards the end of my throw, turning my palm upwards). I generally focus on keeping my wrist level. I do a few practice motion making sure my wrist stays level before every throw. Generally it clears it up.

If you have another mid like a KC-pro Roc, Wasp, or Comet, I've found those to be a little better at revealing OAT than the buzzz, though the buzzz will still show if you have a lot of OAT.

The simplest form of OAT is disc flutter. If you release, and the discs flutters, you've introduced OAT into the throw. 9 times out of 10 its caused by you rolling your wrist through your throw. In my case, when it shows up, it's almost always me rolling my wrist over (i.e. towards the end of my throw, turning my palm upwards). I generally focus on keeping my wrist level. I do a few practice motion making sure my wrist stays level before every throw. Generally it clears it up.

If you have another mid like a KC-pro Roc, Wasp, or Comet, I've found those to be a little better at revealing OAT than the buzzz, though the buzzz will still show if you have a lot of OAT.

I do think I'm rolling the wrist, but I don't ever have disc flutter(never have anyways). Is there another way I can see it? I do have a Roc. Are you saying those discs are more likely to flutter? Because I don't throw it much, so maybe I haven't seen it.

Thanks again for your help.

Latest posts