• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow Discing Potential Peril/Merit

My area (Calumet, MI) gets well over 200 inches per year so unfortunately we probably won't throw again until March. Bright colored discs and ribbon may work in a foot of snow, but not in the stuff we get. Plus it snows just about every day (average over 90 days of snow per season)
If we should get a long stretch with no snow we might try to get out. Then there's the problem of trudging through thigh deep snow.

I'm in Minnesota, yet my only thought reading your post is....why the hell do you live there?

My area (Calumet, MI) gets well over 200 inches per year so unfortunately we probably won't throw again until March. Bright colored discs and ribbon may work in a foot of snow, but not in the stuff we get. Plus it snows just about every day (average over 90 days of snow per season)
If we should get a long stretch with no snow we might try to get out. Then there's the problem of trudging through thigh deep snow.

We never got snow quite like that here, but used to get plenty. Now we barely get any at all. Most winters we could play almost every day.

I'm in Minnesota, yet my only thought reading your post is....why the hell do you live there?

Because often, places that look like that in winter, are utterly perfect in summer. I live in Lower MI and Keweenaw is unbelievable in the warm months. Breezy and warm when lower Michigan is hot and sticky.

Might want to check in your area to see if any Glow leagues are going on. Those little LED lights taped to the bottom of the disc shine right through even in the snow. Usually play some of the shorter courses and makes it pretty easy to find discs. Stop fighting the darkness and embrace it and play all winter long. :D:thmbup:
You're right, I should do that. I don't think I'd want to walk an 18-hole course on my own to hang glow sticks on the baskets and then circle back to play. I see glow league stuff posted all the time in my area. The only thing for me is my work schedule makes it difficult to plan rounds in advance. I usually just grab a round when I can steal a couple hours here and there on short notice.

Just make sure you put your discs outside before a round, or the snow will stick to them, I'm sure someone said this but just incase they didn't I figured I would post.

Pretty sure someone said that ribbons are a pain to use already, but I'll disagree. When the discs are going into the snow and disappearing, a ribbon is a great tool. Plus, they are fun to watch. Just a piece of duct tape or other tape that stays sticky in freezing temps and a few or so feet of ribbon... Run a lighter over the tape to warm it up and help it get stuck properly... Push it down a bit to further get it stuck... Bag the discs with ribbons and go! Pretty easy and useful. If the ribbons are too long, just cut them back to suit you. I also place the tape in an X by ripping the piece lengthwise... The ribbon should stick out a bit and be folded over before placing the second piece of tape to finish the X. This prevents the ribbon from slipping out while throwing. You won't need ribbons all the time when there is snow out, but it is so helpful especially in the northern areas where we get a lot of snow sometimes.

Last edited:
Throwing in snowy/icy conditions is great for your form. When your footing is compromised the only way you will get any distance is by throwing the disc CORRECTLY form wise. Discs get lost, life is hard but it can be really fun:)

I think I could write a book on Snow Shoe Disc Golf

We stopped shoveling the tee pads partway into the first season 3 years ago. It's not unusual to get more than 20' of snow here in a given winter - shoveling is so much work and driving without a runup is not that bad while it also improves your game.

Ribbons aren't that bad either. We use the real sticky foil duct tape (amazon.com/Aluminum-Tape-Foil-Ducts-Insulation/dp/B01FROBUXE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514407010&sr=8-5&keywords=foil+tape). Attach the ribbon to the center of the bottom of the disc and adjust the length of the ribbon based on snow depth.

It hasn't been hard to get people hooked on snow shoe disc golf!

9yjtHYlfsHJed9igVkY-oIUYdNCabAsCNcAnPcYe5fQAj1GqFDKaVeX2YLmFfvxOMvmN8YlnUzxhVHrGkuFoiYr15ERuV0g2_ZVEW2xfsjnL3nP23DprctldqZJ4Eauzt2PzL_0Z-A=w3192-h1796-no

While sidewalk chalk may work, I think youll find it very difficult to break up. Get colored gym chalk - they are not the same thing.

Wouldn't construction chalk be the easiest most affordable route? I am guessing the Permanent version would be an horrible option and would recommend the Temporary type.

https://www.grainger.com/product/3VU87?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916775077!!!g!71850659599!&ef_id=WHZuTAAABCybmRUu:20171227224321:s&kwid=productads-adid^50916775077-device^c-plaid^71850659599-sku^3VU87-adType^PLA

Disclaimer I have never used it in snow.

Throwing in snowy/icy conditions is great for your form. When your footing is compromised the only way you will get any distance is by throwing the disc CORRECTLY form wise.

Doesn't a portion of "the correct form" mean using friction between your shoes and the ground?

To exacerbate the point, I challenge you to try to drive a disc on glare ice.

Extremely slippery conditions require you to deviate from "the correct form".

Latest posts