• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So all the snow has melted...

DaBus85

Par Member
I'm here in Rockford Illinois area and it warmed up rained a little and all the snow melted. And really I'm not happy about it. If it's going to be cold which it's going to be for leagues on Sunday. Only 20 for a high, I want snow. I know it might sound weird but it's just not winter golf with out snow. Now it's going to be cold and wet...with no snow. The last two weeks we have been playing in about a foot or so of snow. Yes it will be easier to find discs now but. I don't know. You people get what I'm saying?? Kinda want to get other peoples opinions on this matter.

Yeah, I still have snow, but it went from 20" of snow to 10" of slushy mess.

Hopefully when it freezes my dog can walk on it without falling through.

yeah, almost all of our snow melted theses last few days, and today is still gonna have temps in the low 40's and maybe more rain. At least i got to go to an open grass feild today and throw all my discs, only to find that i couldn't break 300 feet...

This is also a bummer because the skiing season is gonna be really screwed up now too.

I totally agree with you. I live in tinley park, IL and its soaking wet all over the place. I would much rather play in a foot of snow than on soaking wet, muddy ground. Its also much easier to wipe snow off ur discs thrn to worry about water and nasty mud. This is why I hate the spring out here because it is always wet and muddy.

yeah, we don't have much for skiing, but its still fun to go. With the limited snow we get (usually about 45 inches) its bad if we lose like 15 inches in 2 days.

I'm here in Rockford Illinois area and it warmed up rained a little and all the snow melted. And really I'm not happy about it. If it's going to be cold which it's going to be for leagues on Sunday. Only 20 for a high, I want snow. I know it might sound weird but it's just not winter golf with out snow. Now it's going to be cold and wet...with no snow. The last two weeks we have been playing in about a foot or so of snow. Yes it will be easier to find discs now but. I don't know. You people get what I'm saying?? Kinda want to get other peoples opinions on this matter.

My friends and I have been playing in yorkville and oswego lately in the snow and we know what you mean. It might be harder to find the discs but its worth it and still fun. We just got done playing both of our favorite courses 2day and there were little patches of snow here and there but still wasn't that bad. Good luck with your league play. Maybe we can all play one day 2gether

I played 18 today at Cabin Creek, good place to get rid of the cabin fever. We were all surprised at how well the ground soaked up the wetness. The grounds were not sloppy at all but all the creeks were full and flowing.

In St. Louis it was warm (65) and partly sunny till the tornado sirens started going off. At least I got 13 in before the storm hit. Many thanks to the guy who gave me a ride back to my car. I'd forgotten and left the sun roof open. It wasn't too soaked though.

Tomorrow it'll be sunny and 35. Ya don't like the weather in MO, stick around a while.

Yeah, I still have snow, but it went from 20" of snow to 10" of slushy mess.

Hopefully when it freezes my dog can walk on it without falling through.

^This, but my slushy mess is now frozen solid and it's not solid enough for my dog to walk on. The crust is hard enough that only a spike hyzer or similar will break through, anything else gets a skip similar to dirt ground. The biggest difference in playing today from 2 days ago were the "slide-aways" as long as my disc landed upright, no problem, but as soon as it flipped upside down, on the slightest slope (or even flat ground in the wind) there was some impressive slide-aways, Hole 12, I ended up in the highway, about 200 feet away downhill through the woods. Hole 15, I missed my par putt and it slid about halfway back to the tee. Was still great fun, but I think I miss the powder.

50 degrees and raining here and it sucks :\. Looks like its back to Winter next week, though. This is my first Winter playing, and we've only had 1-2in. of snow on the ground. I think the weather here, with the exeption of today, has been nice for DG. It's easy to get around and find discs w/ only a few inches on the ground, but it's MI and I want a real Winter!

Also, it was strange hearing crotch-rockets and Harleys earlier today.

Supposed to get colder and windy. Hopefully that helps with the wetness. I was out in the yard today and it was a little wet. Still think I will wear my gators even with out snow. 22 for a high tomorrow with 24 mph winds. Sounds like a good day to start off the new years. I can't wait!!

Played Roland Park today,sunney 37dgr. Only a little snow around brushy areas and generaly dry.
Getting some practise in for a doubles tomorrow, The high will be in the 50s.

Rockford, IL....my aunt lives there. That's the Rockford with about 40 pop, am I right?

We got about a foot and a half over the last couple of days.

No snow today, but very, very cold. This morning -5, I think it got to maybe 20 this afternoon...hopefully it will get sunny and melt a little, then get cold and create a nice crust.

Haven't played in Truckee for two weeks. Last week we played in Grass Valley (Condon Park), it was nice, about 50 degrees. I think G.V. is about 2000', so a little wet, but enough leaves to mellow out the mud.

We're planning on going out on Wednesday in Truckee. Hopefully it will work out.

Oho, and looks like the mid-west is slammed. My in-laws live in Minnesota, they said they haven't had that much snow for a few decades.

Guess it will be a while for you guys, too.

i'm stoked that the snow is gone, as soon as the temps drop there will be no more mud, and you can play a round with great traction, dry feet, and dry discs.

In my mind this was the best possible scenario for disc golf conditions. it may have sucked today and yesterday, but unless we get more snow soon these will be some excellent conditions.

Last edited:
Winter is great and all, but I loved throwing the past couple of days with only a tshirt and pants on. All of those layers during cold days can slow you down. I'll take 65 and sunny in december!