• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Got my first double round of the year in yesterday. Played acceptably the first round. Not a superb score (+12 on a course I've parred) but between the ice on the pads, the wind, and the general not playing I felt pretty good about it. The 2nd round though...hooooo boy.

4 water shots and couldn't read the wind for anything. Kept turning over drives that never came back. Don't know if it was the increased wind (not in woods for 2nd course), ice on the pads getting worse, the new drivers in more winter appropriate plastic, or messing around with my grip between trying new stuff and having cold/numb fingers. It was miserable though. On a good note, my buddy beat me for the first time as he scored a personal best so that was pretty cool.

Bad disc golf is better than no disc golf, but I have to admit I died a little saving that scorecard!

Played Valley Springs Park in Durham and UNC Chapel Hill today, both from the whites. Shot +5 and +4 respectively. Both courses were pretty tough but dropped in a couple of long birdie putts and managed to hit the gaps most of the time. Lots of fun and we had chili dogs andd apple turnovers at The Dog House in between rounds. Gorgeous weather today, too; a vast improvement over the rain we've had the last week/month/year.

Threw a dang +5 at Hunter Park, which is not at all respectable. The course was completely snow covered and that didn't help, but my release was all over the place on the drives. It was terrible.

Putting, however, was on like the porch light. Sky god was doing WORK!

Finally got a chance to try out a ton of plastic I have been hording up during the winter. I am just getting over the flu now too, but holy **** did it feel great to get out there. The sky god 2 is really beefy, the dx rocs that I thought were perfect are, the 2019 sexton is a normal firebird but feels really good, and the ricky destroyers are all over the place (common its a destroyer), but I think I have my bag set to start out the year. Going to try to get out there all week!

played 2 very mediocre rounds at my home course yesterday 3 strokes above my average per round. my mechanics were all over the place and i was never comfortable or confident but thats all on me. i'm still trying to recover from from some shoulder damage from a job i worked for 4 months that was a bit too much on the old arms. my only other excuse is that along with our new baskets we also have 11 new pin positions. not all are harder/longer but as a forehand dominant player i find them to be a little odd and a 3 feels really good.

i did have a new first on one one of the really hard new positions. i skipped a hard hyzer (second shot and completely inadvertently) off the top of a metal trash can about 80' for a 25 footer that would have been my second par ever on that pin. of course i missed the putt. but all in all i lost by a single stroke on the day and i did get to play in shorts and a tee shirt.

Played two rounds at Woodway Park in Waco, TX yesterday. Was so bad in the first round that I improved by 10 strokes in the second round. The bigger issue, however, is that I played. I can't remember the last time I went two weeks without playing, so it hurts me when I read about people trying to get back out after basically taking the winter off. I know I'll pay the price with the summer heat in Texas, but I'll take the trade-off.

Surprised this thread needs a 6 month necro...

Played real well today. I have shot better on this course (ditto in Hagerstown MD) but not played it with more confidence. 2 double bogies, 2 bogies, 4 birdies to finish 2 over. I Can and have shot under here, but today felt better than those rounds. I didn't get lucky, I just executed exactly what I wanted, or very close to it. The bogies came from missing my line by just an inch or 2, with the exception of a double on 4 that just was rushing it. I didn't wipe my disc dry and slipped out early, twice. The birds came from good drives, a couple pars came from missing a circle 2 putt, but not by much. I was landing my drives in the fairway or circle then approaching and putting real well.

One of those rounds where it almost feels good to do a little worse than I know I can, because I know where I went wrong and was able to correct on the course for the most part. The eagle and roc game is strong right now, and I don't see that stopping. I have confidence in my familiarity with my discs, the cycle is worked in real well on both molds, and I didn't even reach for a driver faster than a Firebird. Overall a great round, has me looking forward to fall rounds on the east coast with perfect weather and great foliage!

(Thanks for the bump, TDB.)

Played random dubs yesterday, and my partner and I shot -11 at Winget for the win. Sounds good, and is a very respectable score, but sometimes it takes a -13 or so...

Best part is I hit the Ace pool on #15. Wasn't a ton of money, since it had been rung out a few weeks prior, but it's a nice feeling to walk away with a clear profit. :thmbup:

Aside from all that, had a really cool group on the card, which is all I ever really want out there, anyway. The money makes my wife happy. It ain't gonna pay any bills, but it sort of justifies my playing in her mind. So: win-win all around.

I'm still waiting on that ace. I hit pole about a foot low last week, this week skipped off top band and landed 45' deep. I'm zeroing in on it.

Last Thursday we where playing a random dubs. We get to hole four and someone bright idea, not mine, said let play to 13's basket about 50 feet or so behind #4.

I Crashed #4 chains for an ace in the wrong basket. Boooooo.

Round at Spring Valley flex start yesterday ended up right at my rating but felt like trash at the end. Started off pretty average but heated up big time in the middle with two big bonus birdies. Then proceeded to piss an easy 4-5 strokes away over the last three holes which included losing my go to throwing Warlock off a tree kick and into a murky stream on an errant 80' foot approach (-.-).

Played Richlands-Steed in Richlands, NC. Did okay, but wasn't trying to "score" as much as I need to get used to throwing off a tee on a line. One of the downfalls of too much field work on a soccer field is that hitting a line can be a challenge. So today was a good challenge and scored a bit above my expected rating, but left a few strokes out on the course.
Overall, very happy with my throwing and learning to be more consistent with it.

Played my best tags round to date yesterday and it felt great. Shot at least 5 strokes lower than my average for the course while playing a par 60 layout in some challenging winds. Parred a long par 3 I have never parred before and everything in my game for the most part clicked. I lost my card by a stroke as I found myself encountering a newish problem for me, letting the scores get inside my head. With about 5 holes left, the scorekeeper announced that I was tied with another guy for the lead it threw me for a loop on a couple of holes leading me to flub some upshots and putt too short due to nerves. I had a great chance to tie for a playoff but just did not make it happen. Had I not started to do calculations and thinking outside of my current throw I believe the round would have ended differently. I find these type of losses only encourage me to try harder, to focus more while playing, and to recognize these scenarios the next time I am in one so I can remain calm and stick to the game plan.

Fairly certain I might have hit 400 feet for the first time on a drive this past Saturday. I didn't think to measure it off with UDisc but next time I'm out on that course I'll see how far it went. There's a sidewalk that I can use for a reference so I know almost exactly where that drive landed. The hole is 427 feet and I'm guessing I was about twenty feet out for the birdie. Which of course I missed thanks to having some low hanging branches in my way.

Ever have a day where you think that your putter needed a Mortal Combat stamp of Johny Cage?

Yesterday was too pretty of a day to be passed off though; the rest of my game was good.

Played about as good and complete a round as I think I've played in the past year or so. Driving, approaching, and putting were just all there today, and when one phase faltered, another phase picked it up.

Golf course segment of Winter Dretzka (didn't have time for the top 9), ground covered in fresh snow, so that little bit of extra distance I had been getting on end of forehand ground skips was never going to be there, and on an 18 hole set with no shortage of distance, still went -8. A lot of it was putting 300'-ish drives on the money, but the putting was where that round really shined. Two of my birds and at least one par save were outer edge of C1 / inner edge of C2 putting, a range I'm usually...well...pretty crappy at, and I don't think I had even one miss inside of about 20 or 25 FT. Zero bogeys too!

The relative lack of wind was a huge plus, and helped big time, but I haven't felt that good about a round in a long time.

Played my 1st round of 2020 today. First round in almost 5 months. It was..... terrible. Conditions still suck, all icy and muddy and such. First taste of spring in Wisconsin. But that I expected. What I didn't expect was to have regressed to such a noob. My goodness it was bad. Definitely gotta knock the rust off. I was happy with like 2 putts and 3 or so throws in 18 holes . I wasn't that good to start with, and the time off did me no favors. Yeesh. But, it was fun! And nice to trop around a course in shorts and a t-shirt, even if I needed hip waders in some spots. One low spot in a fairway looked like it was just slush covered. But, once I broke thru the top crust layer, it was almost knee deep water and slush. Can you say COLD!?!?

So, in conclusion, no place to go but up!!

Woke up early and played 4 full rounds at different courses, and I'm beat to say the least. Some highlights:

Hit 370' with a Sidewinder (my longest drive prior was 340'). Upwind and Crosswind, but also a little downhill. Not sure how legit.
Flashed some chains on a short one (still hunting my first ace).
Parred three holes I've never parred before.
Threw mids on several holes I used to throw FD on.
Finished the day throwing in a 25' putt in heavy wind, squatting in bushes on a retaining wall 8' above the basket and not much of a gap.

Putted terribly, yanked everything right, hit every tree always. Still fun!

Latest posts