• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

I also stuck my disc in an oak tree on a blind tee shot. The fairway was cut so short and bare in some spots when I didn't see the disc on the ground, I actually looked into the tree, only took me a moment to find it.

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/m...lNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2
I happened to do it with an approach during a glow round. It made a funky noise, but didn't think much of that until we found the disc about 3-5 mins later dangling from the tree with an apple tree thorn dead through the flight plate.

Snipped the bit off flush on both sides and played with it with a tiny piece of thorn filling in the space for a few years.

Was able to play morning rounds wearing shorts and t-shirt temps in the 60's, pushing 80 later in the day. Played Bennett's Creek in Suffolk, Va. With about 3 dozen rounds had some first on the course. #12 short tee's to single basket a blind poke and hope over a ridge at about 225 feet reach C1 for the first time missing trees and dropped the birdie. #8 long tee's about 355 feet tunnel shot 20 feet wide managed to miss trees for the first time and had a C2 birdie attempt running past the basket. #11 long tee's at 490 at the 275-foot mark another blind poke and hope approach watched the disc disappear down fairway and dropped the putt for birdie from C2. But there were also bogeys, and a double from tree hits.

Last edited:
Yesterday I got to check out a course for the first time, and what a course it was!

Played Seneca Creek State Park outside of Washington DC. I gotta give a shoutout to my tour guide for the round - Char. She's a great doggo, and was cool enough to bring her friend Monocacy with her to play some disc golf with me.

We played the layout backward-ish, starting with the final 9, then the middle 9, and finally the front 9. We threw from the longest tees to the longest baskets available. And overall - I. Got. My. Ass. Kicked.

The round started off well enough, with a couple of bad decisions keeping me from a nice 27 on holes 19-27. But then we got to the middle 9 and... well... the course just chewed me up and spit me back out. On the middle 9 holes I had a 6 (right off the bat) and 3 5's. I actually was pretty happy with how I threw, but playing this place blind is a war of attrition. It felt like every single corner that I successfully made it around had a sneaky tree hanging out just beyond the bend, waiting to jump out and attack my disc. I swear they weren't there when I released my throw. Finished out a bit better on the first 9, though still not exactly wonderful outcomes. I ran out of energy a bit on that last 9 and it showed in my decision making, with several ill-advised (though very fun!) throws.

I had several really nice putts, only a few missed shorties. My backhand was struggling with a lot of unfamiliar shots - no elevation at home in Toledo! The forehand was what really kept me alive throughout, despite some moments where I didn't have total confidence with a slightly altered swing (I'm working on re-establishing good form).

The layout was beautiful. Loved all the hills, every single hole makes use of elevation change... up, down, side-slopes... Several holes that I'll remember for a very long time, just gorgeous shots or great shapes. I highly recommend checking out Seneca Creek if you're in the DC area. As a player with confidence in backhand, forehand, and rollers - this course gave a great mix of lines built for all three.

Make sure to get a good guide though, a lot of tricky greens and some tricky OB in a few places - I highly recommend Char. Contact Monocacy and he can let her know you want to throw some discs. She'll likely be a very willing guide for the price of just a few treats.

Took advantage of a t-shirt and shorts day in Virginia Beach Munden Point DGC starting at 64 degrees at tee off in the morning and finishing at 78 degrees after the 2nd round. Winds were brutal 20-30 mph and gusty. Managed not to throw any disc into the river.

It took more than three years, and 55 rounds playing long to longs I finally birdied a hole other than #6. Birdied #13 Par 4 517 feet open all the way except for oak canopy over the baskets, and a huge cedar tree protecting the long basket making it hidden. Took advantage of a crosswind starting way right and watched my Fission Wave flip up and travel across the fairway for my longest drive three years on the course. The cedar tree blocked my approach, tried riding the crosswind again to get around the tree, but threw an accidental roller and watched my disc roll around the cedar and found it 15 feet from basket. Went to the crotch position and took my Nikko Locastro time waiting for a low in the wind and dropped the birdie.

I have been dealing with serious putting yipps for 5 years... I have been working on them a bit more the last two after injury (temporarily?) caused me to need a change. Gone through putting styles and putters. This off season especially. I never have really paid much attention to form throwing or putting, self diagnosis isn't something that has come to me in any sports, so one without a coach was rough. Luckily I have been pretty natural at these things, a couple tips from a local back in 05 and I worked the rest out. This winter I did break down the putting form. I have finally gotten back to my spin putt that treated me well for years, with the putters that I was successful with then.

Relevance: I have finally been seeing that work translate to the course, highlighted by our snow glow league a couple nights ago. I missed 1 putt inside 40' over 20 holes. That plus an ok night off the tee and I shredded. Felt like my old self for an entire round. One week left in league and I am 2 points back of the "MPO" lead. I have a decent chance of winning this league for the first time since 2018. Lots of excitement to see this translate to warm weather play coming soon.

Played my first full 18 hole round today since November, with good results. The last time I went out I had to stop after 27 holes due to pain, today was basically pain-free to the very end. :)

Had some really solid putts, which always feels good out of the gate. I really want to improve my consistency this year, if I can force myself to practice.

Had a few good drives, and some real stinkers, but I was kinda messing around with my technique so I'll take the good with the bad. But man, I threw over a fence that I never have before, didn't make it over a different OB fence by 20 feet, those were real bad. :popcorn:

Forever the worst player on this board. Some day I'll just use the retro bag with the fastest disc a DX Rancho Roc (I wish the Classics hadn't sold out).

Had a pretty good day at Josh & Cheryl Terwilliger's Cedar Grove tournament today. We played his shortie, fun , 'Green' layout, where we age protected, approach and putt throwers are usually comfortable 'playing up' to Open. Shot well enough to take second behind Josh, and also had an ace!

Guess I won't be posting in this thread for a while!

Played a round on a whim today, turned out to be a good day. Shot my new record low round of 1 under bogey golf (71 on par 54) even included a penalty for a throw onto a road. 4 pars, 11 bogeys, 3 doubles.
Another note - I had never found someone else's lost disc until today, and I found 2. One had ink, texted the guy, he said he was 1200 miles away so just keep it. The other appeared to have been underwater for awhile and was all faded out, no ink.

Played the Duncan Lake Hillclimber Open B tier over the weekend. 2 rounds of 21 holes Saturday, another Sunday morning. Windy and cold on Saturday, just cold on Sunday.

Played decent round 1, plus 6, 903 rated. Similar round 3, plus 4, 901 rated.

Round 2 however.....10 pars, 5 birdies, 4 bogies. Not bad, right? Took my first ever tourney 7, on the first hole of the round. Actually recovered and was playing fairly well and then took my first 8 ever.

So yeah, plus 8 for round 2, 838 rated. Licking my wounds today, literally and figuratively.

Two rounds yesterday. Cold, and windy. But, beautiful and sunny. The ground was frozen, still.
+8 round at Channahon. Lot of user malfunctions to do with cold, and wind.
+2 round at West Park. Warmed up. Best round at West Park, I think.

Played a pretty decent doubles round with friends yesterday. When I had to bail, we were ahead by 3 strokes over the other teams.

I was there to let my wide selection of distance discs out to run, to see which ones I think are going to be the most consistent for me this season. Looks like I'm going to be bagging some Scorches, with a light weight Nuke and a Force for various lines more overstable or wind resistant shots. The Zeus, Surge SS, Nuke SS, and Rogue were all less than noteworthy, and within enough of a margin distance-wise that none of them really inspire me to accept less confident throws for a few more or less feet...

I may add the Rogue in for long turnovers, but for the courses I'm going to be playing, my light weight Passion is more than capable of some good distance - and fades off less.

All in all, a very productive round of golf! Today - field work!

Last weekend, 950 at Ralph Williamson. Took money off two kids (in their 20s) 20 years younger than me.

This weekend, way over par at SeaTac. Got my PD2 wedged into tree branches 75 up. Well and truly stuck. One of those feisty wind beaten trees whose branches dont even move when you yank on them. That thing might be a course fixture for a sec.

I had planned on shutting it down after another pair of dejected rounds on Friday. The past three plus weeks had been dealing with a painful corn on my small toe lead foot. Six straight rounds of horrible disc golf, and unfortunately Jeffmonty witnessed three of them when he was visiting in the area. Field work sucked. My disc shoes Nortiv8 waterproof shoes I've worn for a year are narrow and were pressing on the corn, Nortiv8 hiking boots I might wear a few times a year when I think there's going to be casual water or mud on the course. They were good for one course visit a few weeks ago but can feel heavy and it was showing it last week and altering my form. With the corn healing I was going to sit it out for a week or two to put the disc shoes back on.

But, I had forgotten and remember over the weekend wearing Bush Nunn gel shoes for an arch problem three years ago, and had thrown with them on for a month or two. Found them buried in the closet. There wide and I'm not even feeling the toe cushion on my toe. Walked around in them yesterday, threw some putters at the park down the street, and adjusted to them the first round this morning, and heading back in the right direction second round.

The gel shoes are not a good long term solution, they feel a little awkward, but best used only on a dry course. Better than the boots though. Hopefully in a few weeks the corn will disappear, and I can get back in my disc shoes.

Won one ace pot throw off ctp, played three rated rounds (Thursday, Friday and Sunday), averaging 67 points above my rating, and each one was, or tied, the event's hot round, 'cashed' in our area 'Birdie Bash' Saturday, then tied my personal best on my home course today. Nice way to finish the last day of winter!

...but my user name is Sisyphus, so my expectations are ...realistic.

Did pretty good, decent amount of birdies and no bogies on a shorter 18 hole course.

Last 7 holes were after sunset with a glow reactor. had some nice fh tee shots with it, including a lucky flick on #18 that headed straight for a tree but got a lucky bounce that put it 5' shy of the basket.

League random draw doubles...we both sucked the first half of the round and we're trailing our card by four strokes with five holes to play. I chain out for eagle on a short par 4 when my tomahawk doesn't stay in the basket, then I park a 335' hole. The other group bogies the following hole, so we're down 1 with 2 to play. I put us to 40' out and my partner buries an absolute death putt to tie the card. On the last hole, a decent drive left us another 40' death putt, and my partner runs it and goes OB lake... I float a putt that looked ugly out of the hands but somehow finds the basket. The other card misses a pair of circle's edge putts and we snatch victory from the jaws of defeat...at least on our card.

Latest posts