• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So how did your field work go?

sumo21

Eagle Member
In similar fashion to the thread: So how did you play today?, this will allow you to post how well and/or what you were working working on. So to start, my drive is getting more fluid and distances are increasing slightly. Very good sign. Just gotta keep on keepin on. Also worked on trying to add more distance to my rollers. That's gonna take some time, but I have time to work on it. :)

Did some putting practice on the home basket, threw some approaches, finished with some "basket runs" from 200' out after work today.

My main focus this year has been on driving distance, believing that better form on my distance drive will translate to better form in general. Easier distance should translate into better control.
Specifically, I am working on a later hit and keeping the wrist closed until the last possible moment. This is changing my elbow position and the acceleration point.
Whereas, in my old form, the elbow was straighter and the acceleration started at the back hip. Now my elbow is in line with my pecs and the acceleration point starts at mid-pec. Think Beato Drill.
I am finally "getting" the late hit, sometimes.
Much more work to go, but I finally feel like it's starting to sink in.
Still need to work on my posture, shoulder turn, get my hips involved and bracing on my forward heel. But that all will come, in turn and in time.

BTW, much thanks and credit to Blake and Beato and HUB and Sidewinder and others!!!!!

Worked on short hyzers with neutral putters and mids for awhile and when it turned night time i grabbed a glo comet and threw hyzers over the house to my practice basket and actually managed to put it in the basket on one of the tries. Too bad I can't ever ace in a round...

Pretty good today. I took Monday and Tuesday off after a Pro Masters B-Tier win, so it took a few minutes to shake off the rust. Worked on 225-275' FH and BH line-shaping into a protected grove with my portable basket set up, then did some putting from the various lies. An hour of reasonably good work, and my arm feels alright. Weather's supposed to get colder this week into weekend, though. :(

Non existent. I really need to take time off the course and spend it out in a field. I need to find a field I can set up shop and throw on without worrying about anything. Evenings and weekends the soccer, football and baseball fields around here are packed.

Non existent. I really need to take time off the course and spend it out in a field. I need to find a field I can set up shop and throw on without worrying about anything. Evenings and weekends the soccer, football and baseball fields around here are packed.

Have you tried your local area universities or juco's? Usually there is always a field or two not in use ready for you to rip your discs.

Have you tried your local area universities or juco's? Usually there is always a field or two not in use ready for you to rip your discs.

The city we live in is decently small, no local colleges. I was scouting some land via google satellite and I think I found some primo land around the lake that should provide the ability to form some lines with my practice basket through some trees, and some decent sized open field areas. Gonna go take some looks at it. That area is off the beaten path so I think it'll work nicely. It's an old city park that's no longer used except for folks going back there to fish from the banks.

Quite well. I'm starting to get my foot planted before I start my pull. Really gives me some continuity in my swing.

Also found something resembling a hit forehand.

I was practicing on my net in the back yard today trying to get the timing down on the grip/pinch from the standstill. I put a strip of 2" black duct tape from the edge to the center so that when I go back and view the video I can see the rotation of the disk. Not positive if it helps or not. But I did get closer on my timing release from just before 3 o'clock to just after 3 o'clock. When I went out to the field it was hard to tell if there was progress because the wind was about 10 - 12 mph. Just enough cause air drop on tailwinds and hyzer or extreme lift on anything less than perfectly flat release. It felt like better timing though.

The city we live in is decently small, no local colleges. I was scouting some land via google satellite and I think I found some primo land around the lake that should provide the ability to form some lines with my practice basket through some trees, and some decent sized open field areas. Gonna go take some looks at it. That area is off the beaten path so I think it'll work nicely. It's an old city park that's no longer used except for folks going back there to fish from the banks.

I'm three blocks from a K-8 school and they have a huge field. Fortunately for me, the school is mostly gated off so there is only one way to the field. This helps especially because I don't have to worry about passers by and waiting for them to leave my throwing area.

I'm fortunate enough to live in what could be described as a college town, not to mention a mountain town, which allows me ample places to go throw. The batting cage at the community college is my second home. It's my believe that reps into a net lets me focus on my mechanics without being distracted by distances and my ego's desire to throw it far. Also: It allows me the rare circumstance where I can throw with my eyes closed(an entirely different conversation), that is to say without the needless and random destruction and/or maiming/death of anything unfortunate enough to be with-in my range.

Look out Johnny Depth, sumo21 is looking to break your 'threads created/hour' record.

field work is for suckas

My field work was quite good today. As a complete beginner who has just began throwing this year I have managed today to throw my discs that they fly as intended. Not distance-wise, but smooth and clean without much flattering (right word here? English is not my native language ;) ). I even can throw my Valkyrie straight now without it crashing hard after accidently throwing a big hyzer.

I even started shaping Anhyzer lines today. And with every 10 throws and every minute it starts to get more and more natural. :)

Latest posts