• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So I Disced Down....Now What

gintner31

So i stopped using all my distance drivers and picked up a eagle and a roc and i have had a improvement on my round scores with those and now just feel like i need to bring some of the distance drivers back and see what happens

is there a proper way to bring back my discs? like playing a round or two with one of them then bring another disc in play a couple rounds etc etc til they are all back

or is there something other people have tried after discing down?

Stay down!!!! Once you have total control!!!! Start slinging your drivers again!!!!!
Total is the key word there!!!

I have thrown nothing faster than a speed 7 (leopard, tee bird, banshee) for almost 6 months. Went from 250' regularly to 275-325' regularly.

I plan on staying this speed until I hit 350 consistently. Stay down until you have the control is my advice.

ok lol ill have to stay down then
i have to say though i did try out an sl i used to used regularly for a hole and i was impressed with the control i had over it

Generally the idea is to stay with the slower discs for a certain amount of time or until you reach a set goal. I'd give it a year if you're not going to play in any tournaments, and even if you are, I'd still at least consider giving it a year. The longer you stay down, the better your form will be.

And coming from someone who disced down and is now using my regular amount of discs again, I rarely use anything faster than a speed 7 disc. The point is to gain good form and control. Once you gain that, you realize just how important it is compared to distance. Then when you go back to the full bag, you'll wonder why you carry those other discs anyway. For my home course, I use an Xcal on one hole just because I like throwing a huge hyzer around everything on that hole) and an Avenger SS on one hole (although I've reached it with my Eagle plenty of times, I'm trying to learn how to throw a certain shot with that Avenger SS). Other than that, I use an Eagle on about 5 holes, and slower discs on every other hole. So out of 18 holes, I'm throwing a distance driver on 2, a fairway driver on 5, and mids/putters on 11. I hope this helps you see the point and set your goal if you choose to take that route.

ok lol ill have to stay down then
i have to say though i did try out an sl i used to used regularly for a hole and i was impressed with the control i had over it

This is good that you can see improvement already. However, don't be quick to jump back up, because your form flaws might come back. The longer you stay down, the more likely you'll retain good form and accuracy when you go back to faster drivers.

Treat discing down like a drill. You don't have to throw with your slow discs all the time, but you need to practice with your slow discs. Let yourself throw the fast ones occasionally to measure your progress. The biggest thing with discing down is learning flight lines on various stabilities, even super understable.

Stay disced down, but there is no harm in treating yourself once in a while. If you happen to be playing a long or wide open course sometime play a round with your higher speed drivers just for fun, and to keep track of your progress. Discing down should not be like a painful diet. When you start to stop having fun, take a short break. It is after all, a game.

This is good that you can see improvement already. However, don't be quick to jump back up, because your form flaws might come back. The longer you stay down, the more likely you'll retain good form and accuracy when you go back to faster drivers.

Thank you for helping me resist the temptation to disc back up today. I read this right before my round today, and I was thinking about going back to the 9-speeders to measure my progress. Instead, I kept it simple with the Roc and the Magnet and had a solid round.

You can always carry 1 or 2 fast drivers and just use throw them on really long holes, and stick to the putters/mids/fairway drivers on all the more manageable distances. I play with a full bag but from the shorts at my home course I'm only throwing a driver for 3 out of 24 holes.

Discing further down to just midrange and putter recently has revealed a lot of weaknesses to me, and forced me to actually stop strongarming, and start snapping the disc. I thought I had some snap before, but now I know I was fooling myself.

It's sort of like when pervy sage made naruto use up all his blue chakra and pushed him off a cliff, so he would be forced to access the red chakra. Using a roc as a driver and playing 3-4 rounds per day until I was too tired to strong arm it past 200 feet got me really focused on snapping it out there. I'm still not quite hitting 300, but thumb placment and pressure have starting making sense for the first time, and I was able to snap that dx roc out past 250 in headwind several times today, desite the weak and sore tricep in my right arm. Also, I figured out how to "throw the flight plate through the ceiling" to get nose down height.

I can't say my scores didn't suffer a bit in the meantime, but I think the lessons learned will be well worth the effort in the long run.

I've been disced down for 5-6 months, not throwing anything faster than a Teebird.

I'm up to hitting 300-325 on good throws with those discs. When I have picked up a high speed driver to throw, I don't seem to gain any distance, just lose control. But I also have smallish hands and that wide rim throws me off.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure I will ever throw anything faster.

I've been disced down for 5-6 months, not throwing anything faster than a Teebird.

I'm up to hitting 300-325 on good throws with those discs. When I have picked up a high speed driver to throw, I don't seem to gain any distance, just lose control. But I also have smallish hands and that wide rim throws me off.

Pretty much the same for me, cept I can get teebird/eagles/rivers to like 360 on a good throw. There isn't many holes around here that are longer than 400 feet, and most of the longer ones are downhill anyways, so I can reach most holes (provided I don't hit a tree;) with a fairway driver, and throw mids on most holes.

So i stopped using all my distance drivers and picked up a eagle and a roc and i have had a improvement on my round scores with those

is there a proper way to bring back my discs? like playing a round or two with one of them then bring another disc in play a couple rounds etc etc til they are all back

The magic word you are looking for is

field work.

Playing rounds is all fun and well, but it's playing. The field work is where you do the real progres. Bring your faster discs to the field and work with them, and only put them back into your bag when you control them.

You shouldnt try new ( or old-new ) discs in rounds, ever. First you learn them, then you use them.

I have the same problem with wide rimmed drivers. I have been discing down as well as keeping a wraith with me to see my improvements. When i started to more and more drives with my roc/buzz i started to notice a gradual increase in distance and accuracy with my drivers. Recently I traded a star katana for a dx teebird and it was the perfect balance i needed in distance and accuracy. When i throw my wraith i am getting a good 340-360 consistently. Accuracy is improving and my understanding for throwing is also growing.

Help!!

Discing further down to just midrange and putter recently has revealed a lot of weaknesses to me, and forced me to actually stop strongarming, and start snapping the disc. I thought I had some snap before, but now I know I was fooling myself.

It's sort of like when pervy sage made naruto use up all his blue chakra and pushed him off a cliff, so he would be forced to access the red chakra. Using a roc as a driver and playing 3-4 rounds per day until I was too tired to strong arm it past 200 feet got me really focused on snapping it out there. I'm still not quite hitting 300, but thumb placment and pressure have starting making sense for the first time, and I was able to snap that dx roc out past 250 in headwind several times today, desite the weak and sore tricep in my right arm. Also, I figured out how to "throw the flight plate through the ceiling" to get nose down height.

I can't say my scores didn't suffer a bit in the meantime, but I think the lessons learned will be well worth the effort in the long run.

Getting height with nose down is one of my many issues. Can you further explain the 'throw the flight plate through the ceiling' comment? Sounds helpful.

Discing down should not be like a painful diet. When you start to stop having fun, take a short break. It is after all, a game.

This! Totally. Great analogy, as we know, all diets that are a crash course or a get-slim-quick scheme are ultimately doomed to fail. BUT, if you manage to gradually change your ways of life for good there are much slimmer chances for relapse. Same for DG.

The problem with throwing mostly fast discs when learning is that you'll try to get them to fly well and the easiest ways to get them to fly well are also bad habits. If you're concentrating on getting putters, mids and fairway drivers flying well and far then throwing the faster discs isn't as big of a problem. The reason people say to stay away from them at the beginning is because it takes a certain level of proficiency before they're at all useful so throwing them can only either teach bad habits or just waste your time.

If you're either throwing your fairway drivers 300'+ or are happy with how far you're throwing I don't see a reason not to introduce some faster discs just to see what you can do with them. As long as you don't drop all of your other discs and continue to keep them flying well the worst that can happen is you won't find them all that useful.

Latest posts