• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

so i set a personal distance record today...

REDARMY

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
while out practicing at the local park's baseball field.

it was only 342' (BFD right?), but my question is this:

i did that 342' with a beat to **** pro beast, and my previous best was 325' with a relatively beat sidewinder. are the rest of my discs that are either faster or more stable/overstable than the beast/sidewinder useless to me? (except in extreme headwinds?)

the discs in question are: 2 wraiths, an x-cal, a boss, an SL, and a nuke (on 'loan' from a buddy so i can beat it in for him)

You might want to hold off on driving with them, but I still use my boss for FH or really sharp hyzers to get around corners,

And I definitely don't think my best distance is near 342

i did that 342' with a beat to **** pro beast, and my previous best was 325' with a relatively beat sidewinder. are the rest of my discs that are either faster or more stable/overstable than the beast/sidewinder useless to me? (except in extreme headwinds?)

the discs in question are: 2 wraiths, an x-cal, a boss, an SL, and a nuke (on 'loan' from a buddy so i can beat it in for him)

It would help us, and I think you as well, if you were to describe the types of throws you were TRYING for, and the types of flight path these discs took.

For example, I can throw a light wraith on a very flat S curver around 350-380. I can throw a really ugly looking super high arching flex shot with a destroyer for about 410...I don't consider the flex shot a golf line because of it's asinine amount of movement (40' high and 100' wide....but 410' long)

I think you may be hyzer flipping these beat discs, so you're getting the most of the glide they have. I say keep throwing wraiths, maybe get a super light one or two, they really ironed out my driver form because they're SOOO easy to turn over with poor form. But they respond very well to clean form and good snap.

\/\/

Those flippy discs are some of the best for distance. Keep the SL and MAYBE the wraiths. Otherwise use up that beast and sidewinder, a good pro beast should bomb.

yea those high speed discs really are for 400 ft+ shots (or shorter meathooks). They will be useful to you in headwinds though, I'd imagine.

If you want to try a high speed disc you can "get all of" (or more of) I would recommend a 150g DX Destroyer. I picked one up this year and it's pretty easy to throw -- NOT good in headwinds, but great in a tailwind! I read in Avery Jenkins blog about Big D in the Desert; he had a 'would be world record' throw with a lighter DX Destroyer, if it were one of his actual attempts and not a practice throw. He said it went about 850' I think?

good job on the long throw! i would say find whatever disc you can throw low and straight the farthest and use that the most. unless your flinging at a 650+ par 4 in an open field..

i will say that throwing extremely hard with complete disreguard for aim and form, is a great way to train your fast twitch fibers. go out to a field maybe 3 days a week and take like 20-30 throws as absolutly hard as you can. dont throw no more than 30 and dont do this back to back days.

in a month or 2 you should gain 60-100'

there will be some people saying blah blah blah dont do that you dont want to lose form etc etc...but i say give up a month or 2 of form its not like your going to play in a Pro tournament next week. build that arm speed up, and the game will be even more fun for you in the long run!!

in a field... NO.. they are absolutely integral to your growth... The X-cal, boss and nuke require a lot of power... As a result, figuring out how to throw that fast/hard/etc will help the rest of your game.

RE: SL / Wraith...
Neighter of these two should be too fast (advanced) for you. The SL does require SNAP, but when it is thrown properly, it can be one of the longest discs you own. The wraith is an all purpose champion that once you learn you may never want to give up.

* Bonus... all the field work will help you beat in your max range discs.

Something to think about (as you are in a field).... -> Disc Weights...
Are you sure that you are throwing the proper weight for your own limitations (arm, skill level, etc)? http://www.dgcoursereview.com/bag.p...rder=asc&fltr_mfr=&fltr_pls=&fltr_mdl=&page=2
i say this as i've looked at your disc selection and pondered on your time playing (2 years) and question why you are at the bottom end of the distance range. <Wondering out loud> i wonder if your true range is 168-170 and by lightening up you could add more performance and distance....
(also, really get out there with your Tbird....It requires snap, and power... when you can push it to 300' the rest of the discs will fall in line..... it's the bellweather of your distance game and throwing capacity). * there is nothing wrong with throwing heavy discs, you gain more accuracy, but in the process if you are too heavy, you lose power and distance. Try a 169 (average beat in) Beast and you might find that it goes as far as your 172 beat to heck beast.

Last edited:
Hmm not to be controversial--but I pretty much completely disagree with this post! (I'm not a pro but I can throw 400' with some accuracy, and 350 with pretty consistent accuracy, and more importantly 300 with a lot of accuracy) In my experience learning to apply torque in a controlled way to slower discs (i.e. putters, sharks, etc.) is the best way to improve accuracy and distance when you move up to a driver. That's how I learned to throw backhand...efficiency is paramount, arm speed is, in my frank opinion, a myth.
(Also I'm confused--650 foot par four is the ONLY time I'd go for distance over accuracy.)
Anyway that's how I improved!

good job on the long throw! i would say find whatever disc you can throw low and straight the farthest and use that the most. unless your flinging at a 650+ par 4 in an open field..

i will say that throwing extremely hard with complete disreguard for aim and form, is a great way to train your fast twitch fibers. go out to a field maybe 3 days a week and take like 20-30 throws as absolutly hard as you can. dont throw no more than 30 and dont do this back to back days.

in a month or 2 you should gain 60-100'

there will be some people saying blah blah blah dont do that you dont want to lose form etc etc...but i say give up a month or 2 of form its not like your going to play in a Pro tournament next week. build that arm speed up, and the game will be even more fun for you in the long run!!

in a field... NO.. they are absolutely integral to your growth... The X-cal, boss and nuke require a lot of power... As a result, figuring out how to throw that fast/hard/etc will help the rest of your game.

I am going to have to disagree here. Learning to OAT high speed drivers because you do not yet have the arm to throw them will not transfer to the rest of the understable discs you throw. Learning to thrrow putters, roc/buzz, leopards,Xpress, and teebird/cyclones will do WAY more for your game than throwing an Xcal/Boss/(Insert whatever high speed disc 85% of the disc golf population can't throw) will.

Hmm not to be controversial--but I pretty much completely disagree with this post! (I'm not a pro but I can throw 400' with some accuracy, and 350 with pretty consistent accuracy, and more importantly 300 with a lot of accuracy) In my experience learning to apply torque in a controlled way to slower discs (i.e. putters, sharks, etc.) is the best way to improve accuracy and distance when you move up to a driver. That's how I learned to throw backhand...efficiency is paramount, arm speed is, in my frank opinion, a myth.
(Also I'm confused--650 foot par four is the ONLY time I'd go for distance over accuracy.)
Anyway that's how I improved!

well if you read it again you will find out your wrong...because im only giving ideas for one of the many ways to train your fast twitch muscle fibers...i did not say anything about anything DG related ...other than the results you would see in the drives

Last edited:
well if you read it again you will find out your wrong...because im only giving ideas for one of the many ways to train your fast twitch muscle fibers...i did not say anything about anything DG related ...other than the results you would see in the drives

Wow one day registered on DGR and I've already started a flame war:(

How is attempting to improve driving distance not DG related? You have your logic and I hear it, but I'm disagreeing that you would see those RESULTS. And I fear one might build up bad habits, i.e. off-axis torque etc. that won't help in the quest to learn how to throw discs far with smooth, controlled, technique. Ever see David Wiggins throw? So slow and easy-looking, but ridiculously far. It's definitely NOT all about muscle.

You're both right!

Wow one day registered on DGR and I've already started a flame war:(.

It's not hard to do.

You're both right...

Throwing far takes:
1) proper form and technique
2) development of fast twitch fibers

I think where the fast twitch comment was going is that to increase the reaction of the muscles, the drills must be executed at TOP SPEED. Another word for this is plyometrics. Many athletes use plyometric training to increase, say: vertical jump, sprinter's starts, reaction time, throwing/kicking speed, etc. you get the idea. It's getting the muscles to contract faster.

While you can't completely abandon form, you will push the envelop of your own speed. The Beato drill does this (aka the right pec drill) where you accelerate as fast as possible. But it is important that the acceleration comes at the right time, not just an all-out rip. It's super fast, but very late.

But, the problem, of course, is that only doing the speed work, can be detrimental to form. So now you grab your putters and mids and work on being as smooth and clean as possible. This means....slowing down a bit, to get the feel and timing, which will be difficult to sense at full speed with a Destroyer in your hand.

After time, the gap between this blistering arm speed and smooth, fluid release will get smaller...the result will be drives that are a bit longer than where you are now. How far is more relative to the individual. But the new found distance should apply to putters, mids, fairways, and distance drivers.

There are, of course, some particualars to nose angle, hyzer angle, grip, etc that are characteristic to different discs, but you'll work that out, mold by mold.

i think i'm more confused now.

gotta start measuring my throws

do what i do, go to a baseball field that has signs for how far away the fences are.

if you make it over the fence, just pace off the rest of the distance. that's how i calculated my 342' toss.
286' to the fence +56 steps made 342'

not the most precise method, but i think my clown feet are pretty close to 12''.

(edit: heel-to-toe walking, not guessing 3 feet for every step in stride as some others do)

Last edited:
Congrats for getting your personal best! That's great!

As others have said, keep the other, faster discs away until you get your form down. Once you can throw a TeeBird 400', then you have enough power and snap to throw a Boss or any of the hyper speed drivers as they need to be thrown.

Keep practicing!