• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

socal to sacramento trip. where should i play in between?

adamtheviking5

Throws only Pink Discs
So I'm leaving home in moreno valley tomorrow morning and going to sacramento to see family for the holidays. Im thinking about taking 101 cause I've played most of the good courses along the 5/99 coridor on many previous trips. Where would you play if you could pick 2 or 3 courses out near the coast? Id like to play waller dela and stafford but I'll have my wife and son with me and those are all long courses. I may play stafford anyways because I've heard its epic. Oh yeah my secondary goal is adding courses played to the list so if there's a couple good 9 holers I wouldn't be opposed to hitting them too. What do you think?

I wouldn't bring the wife and kid with me to stafford. Its a really good hike. Better pick would be golden gate park, where your family can do other things really close by while you play a round. My kid likes spreckles lake, where people have model and rc boats. Even rc sea planes. Really fun for an hour or so. There's also just hanging out in the meadow playing...good times.

another excellent course is parque de la raza in san jose. It is only a 9 holer, but an easy walk and challenging holes.

Where exactly are you getting on the 101? And how far north are you planning on taking the 101?

You.could always start at Evergreen in Goleta and work your way north...

I agree with Peter, while Stafford is epic, it's rugged and loooong rounds. Also it's significantly out of the way if you're going to Sacramento...and that's even with taking into account already going out of the way by going up 101 instead of 5.

Golden Gate and DeLa have a same problem, crowding on weekends. If you're not getting a morning tee off it'll take just as long as Stafford...but at least the wife and son would have other things to occupy themselves with nearby if they're not into disc golf.

It's tough to advise since it's a Saturday, likely afternoon, but I'd advise against Stafford. If I was you I'd chance DeLa in the AM and then Parque De La Raza and Hellyer in San Jose for a pair of 9-holers in the afternoon. That way you can still jump on 237 from 101 and get back over to the 5 and avoid traffic in the bay.

Ryan Ranch in the Monterrey area is a must. Heilman Park in Atascadero is also a nice stop and it is right off the freeway.

Ok evergreen looks like as good a place as any to start. Where do I go from there? What's good in the monterey area?

2 courses from the 2011 Pro Worlds - Ryan Ranch and CSUMB.

Bring your heavy artillery for CSUMB, it is a long course, usually windy, average hole length is over 400 feet.

If you are short on time - Skip 1-8 at CSUMB and skip the upper part of Ryan Ranch (19-27), or just play 19 and 27, skip 20-26, 19 and 27 are right near the parking lot.

2 courses from the 2011 Pro Worlds - Ryan Ranch and CSUMB.

Bring your heavy artillery for CSUMB, it is a long course, usually windy, average hole length is over 400 feet.

If you are short on time - Skip 1-8 at CSUMB and skip the upper part of Ryan Ranch (19-27), or just play 19 and 27, skip 20-26, 19 and 27 are right near the parking lot.

This, no crowds also.

Latest posts