• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SOFT MAGNET PUTTER

Pirate35

Just ordered a soft magnet putter. I have been having some trouble with my short putts (15-20 feet) bouncing off the chains and on to the ground. Will this putter solve my problems and give me a better chance of grabbing the chains consistently?

Putters dont have hands. Sure it might be a little more grippy, but your best bet to practice whenever you can. if youre hitting right or left on the chains the disc may have too much momentum to slow enough to drop when it hits. if youre hitting center, or coming in at, say, a hyzer angle, youll be much more likely to sink the putt. a practice basket is a wise investment.

True. Good thought

I just did a quick search online. You get a basket for 90-100 bucks. a little more if you want a portable. I suggest going with a portable one if you decide to get one. Mine stays in my trunk, doesnt take up much room laying down and takes 7 seconds to set up. I also would recommend going to a dg shop if you have one locally and handling some different putters, ask some guys at your course if you can check theirs out. Find one that feels good in the hand and fits your needs (overstable, neutral, etc), and pick up at least 5 of them.

In answer to your question, I think that your main issue is aim and not the disc. I have experimented with tons of putter molds and settled on the Soft Magnet, but did so because it's the most comfortable in the hand for me.

In general, baseline plastics grip chains relatively similarly, whereas a brand new premium plastic putters might be a little "greasier" on the chains and have a slightly higher tendency to chain out.

My advice is to practice lots. Different baskets have different sweet spots. Fixate on a square inch of the pole or a certain link of chain and work on hitting it consistently.

if you live in mn ill sell you a innova skill shot for cheap.

but yeah premium supposedly chain out. i dont believe it even though i putt with baseline. its all preference in the hand.

also i used to hyzer putt hard. dont do that. it knifes through the chains. and the roll aways suck even harder

but yeah premium supposedly chain out. i dont believe it even though i putt with baseline. its all preference in the hand.

Eh. For me, (innova as a reference) DX was better than champ. Star was better than DX. A worn in star was better than new star. That said, I used a star aviar for a few months after my first couple years of playing so I cant say 100% it was plastic because in that time I practiced a lot.

OP another suggestion, and its what I do, is during your casual rounds, carry a couple putting putters and when take a couple shots at the basket instead of just your one putt. Hypothetically you only putt once each hole - doing this, you putt 36 times.

Yes.

Just ordered a soft magnet putter. I have been having some trouble with my short putts (15-20 feet) bouncing off the chains and on to the ground. Will this putter solve my problems and give me a better chance of grabbing the chains consistently?

Yes. The older 4-chain soft magnets are the best putters ever! Not only will all your problems be solved, world peace might finally happen once you start using the best putter ever made!:|

Yes. The older 4-chain soft magnets are the best putters ever! Not only will all your problems be solved, world peace might finally happen once you start using the best putter ever made!:|

:thmbup: Great addition to the thread!

See above for how to contribute... :|

The soft magnets are often mild puddle tops new (droopy flight plate) or beat in to puddle tops. Grippy if you like that. Will get nice and charmingly ugly with good use. Inexpensive and easily replaceable in current runs from a big company with many distributors. A fine disc to try.

Some folks like puddle top putters in windy weather with the idea that they diffuse a gust a little better. Perhaps safer to go at it for nose up throws. The Yeti Pro Aviar is another non-exotic puddle putter that is a wee bit more stable than the Soft Magnet.

///As with any putter.. get two (or more) at a time if possible when honestly trying a new mold, actually spend some practice time, remember it is also an approach/midrange/driver too, and while finesse may make you king of the practice basket... firing lasers during a confident round earns strokes

The magnet was my first and only disc for a long time and my putter for well over 10 years. I was so sad to retire the thing but it was so beat up that it didn't fly very far anymore. I've since found a suitable replacement but almost never sink anything over 20 feet.

Soft Magnet for President!

Steve Rico's putter?

A decade ago or so, the rumor was that Steve Rico chose not to be sponsored by Innova because he didn't want to give up his Magnet putter. I've always wondered if that was true. Regardless, I think the Magnet is a great putter, but I also think practice is far more important than putter-type.

I prefer a softer putter...I feel I get more blow-throughs with stiff putters. A softer putter will hit the chains and stop spinning much quicker than a stiffer putter.

A lot of people prefer the grip and release a stiffer putter offers, though. For me, that's not really an issue. I putt with RFF Wizards, and do just fine.

A decade ago or so, the rumor was that Steve Rico chose not to be sponsored by Innova because he didn't want to give up his Magnet putter. I've always wondered if that was true. Regardless, I think the Magnet is a great putter, but I also think practice is far more important than putter-type.

doesnt matter his putts are the wobbliest ive ever seen. i think val has incredibly wobbly putts too.

how are they that good and not have clean release putts

I'm a noob, but I went through the process of gripping a bunch of different putters. As others have said, use the one that feels right to you. You'll have more confidence with it. I don't get that many chain-outs and roll aways. :) I have 6 soft magnets. I hold one back from my putting practice because they WILL get beaten up.

Latest posts