• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Soft turning FW disc

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Just checking to see if anyone has a good suggestion for a very specific FW disc I'm looking to possibly add to my bag. I don't need or want to discuss throwing ability or anything else. Just a good suggestion.

I have a Lat 64 Gold Line Maul that when I first started out throwing, was my favorite disc. It was my longest throwing disc and it was a blast to throw! But now that my disc speed has increased, I can't keep it straight to save my life! Like even on a 60% power throw, it still results in a huge sweeping right anhyzer shot. NEVER fades at all. It's not so bad that it becomes a roller (unless I accidentally throw it with some anhyzer), but it DEFINITELY goes right a long way. Like 50-80' right from where I let go! Which is handy for very specific shots. But overall, I don't "trust" it to do what I want. I feel like it can go anywhere from 30-80 feet right of my target line. So it's really a risky disc for me to throw now. And since I can't anhyzer or FH throw well yet, I'm trying to find a disc that can give me that soft right turn.

So what I'm looking for though is something along those lines, but just MUCH softer right. So you know how if you throw a money disc that goes dead straight with a soft left fade? Well, I'm looking for the opposite. Straight or slight high speed turn right, with a soft right finish. If I threw it dead flat and hard, it would go maybe 10-20' right, stay there and finish there.

I throw my farthest discs usually around 340-360 with the occasional bigger rip going near 400. But as far as consistently, it's around 350 give or take with my speed 7-9 discs to get that distance. My S line FD's aren't quite what I'm looking for, but almost. They go a little right at first, then fade back consistently at the end just a little. So the net is about 0. But I want something that has a net of about 5-10%. So if I threw it on an intended line, it would end maybe 10-20' right every time, but NEVER turn real far, and never roll.

So I'm wondering if getting something like an MVP Amp, or Prodigy F5, or Lat 64 Jayde or River would be that disc for me? And would it help to maybe get a disc that turns a little to much, but in a harder more stable plastic? Like if I got a River in Opto? Or a Maul in Opto? Or an F5 in 750? Would that make a difference?

I can't anhyzer throw at all really. I practice it often, and it's just not happening yet. So until I can, I just want to find a speed 7-9 disc that can give me that nice soft anhyzer line right, but just nothing majorly right. And I'm really confused by reading some reviews of these discs I "thought" would be exactly what I'm looking for. The Amp, the River, the F5, etc. They all say they have -2/1 type numbers for HSS and LSS. And yet most reviewers say they are pretty straight flying discs? So I'm pretty confused. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

I would look at a Stag probably in Tp or RTP plastic, they start with a gentle turn and solid fade and beat into this glide manipulatable disc that you can coax on so many lines.

I carry three Stags, right now a VIP for hyzerflip to fade a newish TP that will turn a bit but still fades well and a well worn one that goes anther easily and only really fades if you get the nose up.

Great disc.

The shot you are looking for requires a lot of practice and good form. If the maul goes too far to the right I would just say throw it a little slower, with more consideration on release angle.

In my opinion there isn't a magic disc for the shot you just asked, that being said, some people will tell you maybe a beat DX Teebird, a river, maybe a TL or FD. I personally use either valks or culverins for that shot style.

Overall, the shot you are looking for is more on technique rather than disc selection.

The shot you are looking for requires a lot of practice and good form. If the maul goes too far to the right I would just say throw it a little slower, with more consideration on release angle.

In my opinion there isn't a magic disc for the shot you just asked, that being said, some people will tell you maybe a beat DX Teebird, a river, maybe a TL or FD. I personally use either valks or culverins for that shot style.

Overall, the shot you are looking for is more on technique rather than disc selection.
"Practice, not plastic"

Ohhhh, ok :( That stinks. But I appreciate the honesty! I see pros throw this line OFTEN in the woods and I'm just like, YES, YES, THAT! I want to throw THAT way! And I know it's probably from their amazing ability, but I was hoping there was a disc that did that. Not sure why there isn't though? Seems like it would be a GREAT disc for a manufacturer to make. Like a Compass or MD3 type flight path, but just reversed! So if you can't throw FH, or don't want too, you have a disc that always turns a little, stays there, and never turns too far, into a roller or goes straight. Like my Compass or MD3 goes dead straight and then each has it's own soft fade. The Compass goes maybe 5-10' left at most, whereas the MD3 always goes at least 10-20' left. But both have such a great flight path. And I see pros throwing this soft anhyzer like line, but it never goes too far right, and yet, it doesn't go straight either. So I was hoping a disc could do that for me until I learn how to throw Anyhzer. But I guess it doesn't exist. Oh well. Thanks for the info!

Beating in a stable driver will give you this flight more consistently than an off-the-shelf slightly understable disc. I have a beat in Z undertaker (168g) that will do that flight for me now.

Grab a lightweight FD, a dx Eagle, or a x/d Mantis in the meantime, and keep throwing that S-FDs or until they develop that turn.

Last edited:
As discs slow down they fade, so this is, as others have mentioned, more technique based with worn in discs.
Hyzerflip to turn at the right height can do it.

I'd opt to beat in a DX Teebird.

This is also way easier to accomplish with mids, so I'm wondering if that's some of what you're seeing. If you have the height available, a Comet is the right option. A beat Roc also. It's absolutely possible to push either of these past 350' and negate the need for a fairway driver in many cases.

While I'd agree with the form and practice statements I think there is definitely a type of disc for this shot, but it has to be a combination-the right disc with the right throw. If you take a look at McBeth when he threw Innova and his Tee/Thunderbirds or other big arm pros who can manage this shot, what happens is it seems to go straight and then fade to the right. What's happening here isn't that it's fading to the right-as you're aware as a disc loses speed it will go left-but rather the disc is still turning at the end and was just given the right angle to be able to continue straight then right for the entire flight. It is turning the whole flight, just not visibly. I recall a shot years ago where McBeth did this with a Teebird-smashed off the tee and flipped up slow, held straight, and nestled down right. But it was the disc's speed and (lack of) stability that kept it carrying right. So for a slower arm speed, a slower disc is required, and a less stable disc is required. It needs to be released on a steep hyzer angle to hold the straightness for a while and then it will eventually drift right at the end as it is still turning over, past parallel to the ground. That was really long winded but anyway-the best discs for this are beat straight/stable fairways or mids-this tends to be the case because the right ones tend to lose their LSS before their HSS, meaning the flip is less touchy and it will be much easier to pull this shot off. I had a freak beat to heck Volt that could do that very shot, but I also had a good bit of luck with a lightly seasoned Escape. So I would say high 160's Escape and release it on a hyzer and watch the FH-mimicking flight commence.

Echoing what others have mentioned, that flight is difficult from a driver if you don't have great power or technique.

However, I've found that a Mako3 can hold that line incredibly well and give you sneaky distance on some pulls. Its a great compliment to your MD3 and Compass.

If only a driver will do, slower the better. A lightweight Leopard3 or Maverick would fit the bill as close as I can imagine.

If your Maul has seen a fair amount of use since you bought it, you might be able to just get a fresh one, or even a new opto one if those are more overstable than gold line. Then you'd still be comfortable with the mold, plastic, and hand feel, but you'd get a different flight from the two discs. I have multiples of almost every disc in my bag which are in different stages of wear so I can get different flight shapes without having to become familiar with different molds.

Echoing what others have mentioned, that flight is difficult from a driver if you don't have great power or technique.

However, I've found that a Mako3 can hold that line incredibly well and give you sneaky distance on some pulls. Its a great compliment to your MD3 and Compass.

Yeah, looks like for the most part, it's matching a disc WITH good technique. And I probably already have the disc. I have a GL Fuse, a GL Maul and a Star Mako3. I'm sure if I just practice enough and beat the heck out of them, they will give me this shot I'm looking for. It would be super helpful for me on like 4-5 holes off the tee for sure at my local course. That Star Mako3 I have could definitely be the disc I'm looking for. It is hard to throw with consistency when I'm playing. In the field, it goes real far for a mid and very straight. But... If I even give it the tiniest bit of anyhzer, it goes right about 5-10' and just dead straight. So I'm sure if I keep working it with my hands and beating it in on the course, it will turn into that disc I'm looking for. Same goes for my FD's. I have 4 of them in S line for field work. So I'll just take one of them and mush on it a ton while I'm watching TV and hopefully break it in really well, so it can flip a little more.

Thanks everyone. Still learning a lot and don't know all this stuff yet. So thanks for the suggestions, but more importantly the tips and help. I see these pros with 20-25 throwing discs, and think I can get a disc for literally every shot. But I keep reading your guys responses and I'm realizing it's more about the form, than the disc. Not that a disc can't help or make it easier, but form is more important. So I'll just work on my form instead of adding more discs I don't need. I'm going to need to open an eBay account to sell all these extra discs I don't even use or only used a few times, haha.

Another friend on here told me to just learn to hyzer flip my Maul and it will do what I want. Or even my Fuse. He said because they have so much turn right for me, if I just throw it on a hard hyzer, it should flip up to flat, and then once it's flat, start catching and turn right. So I'll try that and work on beating in my other discs to get this flight I'm looking for. If I can get a disc to do this, and learn to throw it either with some anhyzer or a hyzer flip, I will be really happy, as there are some tough holes I always struggle on in the woods at my local course. This shot would be super helpful.

Thanks everyone, consider this thread closed.

Thanks everyone, consider this thread closed.

I can't resist. I've been on a Pro Leopard kick and it's a solid option. It may have a little too much end fade. I really like the earlier beat DX Teebird suggestion too, though I don't like cycling or depending on wear too much myself.

This idea might be too crazy, but I'm thinking it because you like hyzer releases. Give a heavy Neutron Relay a try. It's pretty flippy, but seems to give a pretty reliable flip that might give you a good right finish if you figure out how much hyzer it likes. One nice thing about the Relay is that it works well for powered down shots too.

We're all working on our form. But we also (almost) all like trying new plastic while figuring out new shots that help our game on the course. No judgement. DGCR is a great place to figure out what other people like for certain shots, in addition to pursuing that never-ending quest to improve your form.

Nothing keeps a thread going like saying it's closed. ;) :D

A fresh River will do ya good, especially a Gold Line River if you can find them. But they tend to beat in relatively quickly. The Leopard or Leopard3 is also a good option.

In the Realm of a Leopard a Cheetah does well, but it did and still dose not come in more then just DX and at the time older 2000's DX got really stiff, slick, and could shatter easily in the cold winter weather so I never got the mold. I upgraded at about the time my DX Leopard was getting too flippy in 2007 to another mold as the Leopard had been changed to more what Dave F wanted when he was sponsored by the Innova team, even the DX Leopard changed a bit.

How are you going to disrespect Barry Schultz like that?

oh sorry I got those two mixed up in the development of the Leopard. :doh:

:thmbdown: Me on my original Post. It was Berry Schultz, but other pro players did use the mold more after Leopard got Tweaked in the early to mid 2000's. Also at this same time L and X molds came out for the Leopard making it hard to get the mold type they wanted.

Last edited:

Latest posts