• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Some player ranking statistics and thoughts on course design

This is what I was getting at. If the course is designed to be 'fun' for only 30% of players and as such only 30% of players use the course, that's a shame and a bit of a waste when we could design differently and make the course work for ALL players.

You're also presumptuous in thinking that only the top 30% enjoy those tough courses.

There are many lower-rated players who enjoy the challenge of a gold course, or at least a blue course (target 950 rating). I routinely play a course that players from 850-1000 seem to love. On a bad day I've shot triple-digits on its 24-hole layout, and double-digits on a couple of individual holes.

The variety of courses---style and challenge---is one of the great pleasures of disc golf.

This is what I was getting at. If the course is designed to be 'fun' for only 30% of players and as such only 30% of players use the course, that's a shame and a bit of a waste when we could design differently and make the course work for ALL players.

Locally we now have two 18 hole courses, one that anyone could play and potentially have fun and not lose discs very often. The other course is new this year and was designed for serious players -- casual players get very frustrated and often don't even finish all 18 holes. Both courses are in public parks. Time will tell how this goes over with the city officials. A handful of us really like the new course and it's challenges, but I'm not sure a really difficult course with relatively low play is what the city envisioned.

You're also presumptuous in thinking that only the top 30% enjoy those tough courses.

There are many lower-rated players who enjoy the challenge of a gold course, or at least a blue course (target 950 rating). I routinely play a course that players from 850-1000 seem to love. On a bad day I've shot triple-digits on its 24-hole layout, and double-digits on a couple of individual holes.

The variety of courses---style and challenge---is one of the great pleasures of disc golf.

Spot on. I stopped playing tournaments a bunch of years ago before I improved but my rating was around 890 or so. Although if I had a rating today I might be 920ish I still enjoy playing harder courses much more than easier courses. I routinely drive an hour to play the only hard course in town, driving by red, and blue courses.

OP: You don't have to start every hole from the tee pad provided. You can move down the fairway a hundred feet or so and start from wherever you want.

OP: You don't have to start every hole from the tee pad provided. You can move down the fairway a hundred feet or so and start from wherever you want.

This.

Make a game of it. If there's an earlier open hole, step off your drive, and that's the distance you can move up the more difficult fairway.

If I have an issue with people with OP's mentality, it's the notion that somehow the easier courses they desire now are still going to be desirable to them once their skills improve.

In some places.....(Pittsburgh) courses have 3 tee pads all designed for different levels of players......it's wonderful.

When I started playing I had 4 choices, 1 easy, 1 long but easy, 1 medium difficulty, and one pro course, I have played all of them, but I enjoy the medium one the most, I can easily shoot 14 over for 23 holes, but I've done as well as -1 for 23 holes, but on the pro course I have shot triple digits for the whole course, it was a beating but I had fun

The OP needs to find a 9 holer on an elementary school or suck it up.

:clap:

You can not accommodate to everyone. As already mentioned, if you try to compromise it often results in a mediocre experience for everyone. It is better to provide an awesome experience for half the disc golf population, and a trying experience for the other half. The half that would struggle can simply play a different course. There are significantly more beginner friendly courses than pro level courses, so it shouldn't be hard to find one.

The same can be said for sprinkling in a couple super difficult lost-disc-traps on an otherwise easy course; bad idea. The tough holes wont be enough to keep the advanced player intrigued, but it will often spoil an otherwise fun round for a beginner player.

Complaining that a course does not cater to your exact skill level is pretty ridiculous, given the ever growing number of FREE courses available to play.

The O.P. doesn't say where he is or where he played---so while it's probable that he has other options, better suited to his skill level, that's not true everywhere.

The O.P. doesn't say where he is or where he played---so while it's probable that he has other options, better suited to his skill level, that's not true everywhere.

Playing courses harder than your skill level will force you to increase your skill level, if that's a goal. It's humbling at first but very much worth it in the long run, again assuming improving your game is a goal. Bring that course to it's knees, one hole at a time!

There's a small percentage of players that are just out there to unwind and have fun. Courses above your skill level allow neither of those to some people.

I'm always trying to get better, while having fun and relaxing, but there are some that aren't.

Playing courses harder than your skill level will force you to increase your skill level, if that's a goal. It's humbling at first but very much worth it in the long run, again assuming improving your game is a goal. Bring that course to it's knees, one hole at a time!

True. Well, mostly true. I don't know about anyone else, but on different days I have different goals.

Playing more challenging courses hasn't improved my game any. Perhaps because, as I add to my skills, Father Time whittles away, and he works at it 24 hours a day. But I've yet to play a course so far over my head that I didn't enjoy the challenge.....even if I enjoyed it to the tune of 100 throws, or more.

I don't think the OP's goals and tastes are the same as mine, though.

True. Well, mostly true. I don't know about anyone else, but on different days I have different goals.

Playing more challenging courses hasn't improved my game any. Perhaps because, as I add to my skills, Father Time whittles away, and he works at it 24 hours a day. But I've yet to play a course so far over my head that I didn't enjoy the challenge.....even if I enjoyed it to the tune of 100 throws, or more.

I don't think the OP's goals and tastes are the same as mine, though.

Has David Sauls peaked? ;)

Mountain...molehill....Whatever.

But I've yet to play a course so far over my head that I didn't enjoy the challenge.....even if I enjoyed it to the tune of 100 throws, or more.

Me too. I've yet to break 100 playing the full course at DeLa, but wow is it a fun time out. I love playing interesting courses, some of which are very challenging.

My marksmanship records will clear me. (Thanks, PDGA ratings!)

Me too. I've yet to break 100 playing the full course at DeLa, but wow is it a fun time out. I love playing interesting courses, some of which are very challenging.

Not to pretend that everyone should have the same tastes and goals as I---or you---but unless it involves a shot that I can't possibly make, I'm up for the challenge of trying. Which pretty much means water that I can't carry. Though the evidence on the bottom of Flyboy's lake refutes even that.

Besides, a course designed over my skill level comes with a ready-made excuse. Few things feel worse than a poor score on a really easy course.