• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Something to consider...please leave input

What do you do/think about carrying a "give-away" disc?

• Total voters

joshuajames

Double Eagle Member
So after reading madman's "what would you do" thread, I thought maybe I should consider carrying a "give-away" disc (in case of returns, emergencies, bartering, etc).

I would like your input on whether you carry or keep a disc close by for these type of situations.

I would like to promote the sport in a positive manner, and this seems like it would.

ALSO...if you do/would carry a "give-away" disc, what would it be???

I wouldn't worry about carrying it with you at all times but it makes good sense to take a weekender bag and fill it with a few all purpose molds in base plastic. Keep it in your trunk or somewhere in the car. For a loaner bag if someone brings a guest or in case you meet someone at the park and they want to play a long.

I like the Shark. It's just a great multipurpose disc that can be used tee to green.

If you want to expand on that to make a full loaner bag I'd probably get an aviar and dx leopard to go with it. Maybe a teebird but nothing faster or more stable than that.

i dont necessarily carry a give away disc, but faced with that same situation he had i probably would have gave them one of my Z buzzzes or something.

I have always given away buzzz's and stratus's, i have no idea if that is correct, maybe it is strati, but I digress. These seem to be the most user friendly discs to me personally, so I give them to beginners that show interest.

I used to carry a bin of 20 discs for loaners, give aways, or sale in the trunk. Should probably carry one in my bag, but then I lose a slot.

Would most likely carry a good beginner disc, such as a light mid-range.

I have a Warlock with a sweet stamp on it waiting to be given away/traded on the course. Usually have a dx disc in the car to trade as well.

I do have stacks of plastic in my closet so if I know someone is going to be playing with me Ill give them one but I don't keep them on me at all times.

I think it's a great idea, and I am actually going to start carrying one in my bag. I usually have a few in my car that I don't care about, but this past weekend I saw the opportunity to have one in my bag as well. I was playing Mt. Airy and there was a family having a birthday party at one of the pavilions near the 9th tee. The kids saw us throwing and all ran up asking us to try. They were all maybe 5 or 6 years old but they had so much fun tossing my discs all around. I wanted to leave one disc behind to let them keep throwing, but I didn't have any in my bag that I was willing to part with. I told them that if they were still there by the time I finished my round, I'd bring one for them to keep. Unfortunately, they were gone by the time I was done with my round.

I do not carry give-a-way discs in my bag but I always have some in the trunk of my car and will go back to my car and grab some if I feel someone would benefit from having easier plastic to throw or if someone has never thrown before.

I carry a couple in my vehicle. Mainly for kids in the park playing with a catch disc. A catch disc on the course can turn people away instead of them catching the fever.

I don't carry it on my person (I'm selfish about using all the slots available in my bag) but I always have a box of "for sale or trade" in my trunk.

If I were in this situation, I'd give away one of my dozen wizards, considering I've switched to the Aviar. Either that, or a D Buzzz.

I don't have any discs that I've designated give-aways, but if I find myself in a situation where giving someone a disc seems to be the right thing to do, I certainly have enough spare plastic sloshing around in the trunk to be able to donate one to a prospective future Climo ....

I've got a few loaner discs rattling around in the trunk. Today's loaner disc of the week is a newly found beat to hell tie dye X Buzzz I found Friday.

I think it's a good idea in some instances. Depends on the situation. I wouldn't be giving the kids in madman's post a disc they basically tried to steal it. That wouldn't earn you the 'i hope this gets you into disc golf' disc. But I guess if I was at the course and someone showed genuine interest in disc golf and I had something beginner friendly in base plastic lying around I'd give it to them.

I don't carry one with me but I did give a kid and old eagle a while back. I was doing some field work and he started helping me retrieve my discs so I had to give him someting to get statrted

I always have a light Pro D or Elite X Buzzz in my bag for this. I can spare one spot for a kid.

Last time I gave one out though he must have ran home and got his friends because the next thing I knew I had 4 kids following me down the fairway asking for a disc. I told them that I only had the one that I could spare and they would have to share it.

I got to PIF and teach about sharing in the same act...lol

Sounds like a beat or D Buzzz is the "give-away" disc of choice.

I think I'm going to sacrifice a slot in my bag for those times when giving away a disc will be a positive for the sport and community.

Latest posts