• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sometimes you just HAVE to get that disc back....

I waded in to retrieve a disc from just behind that tree following the ChrisMess Bash! I thought about commandeering the boat, but figured I should ask before doing so. Wading was quicker, but sure was cold!

I waded in to retrieve a disc from just behind that tree following the ChrisMess Bash! I thought about commandeering the boat, but figured I should ask before doing so. Wading was quicker, but sure was cold!

Not only that, but the bottom in that area is tough to wade in on---some sharp debris, and very soft mud. And snapping turtles.

They should have asked about using the boat. Until a few months ago, it had a significant hole in the bottom, and using it without asking could have necessitated a salvage operating.

Absolutely! I'm just getting back into disc golf after about a 20 year break. I grew up playing this sport and have several fond memories of going above and beyond the call of duty to get a disc back. I hated losing discs and have climbed tress and gone swimming to get them back. My body is pretty beat up these days from racing bicycles for half my life so we'll see how much that discs means to me this summer when I lose one? Not sure at this point in my life if I'll be willing to do anything to get a disc back like I did when I was young? I say that now, but if its a disc I really like, I'm probably going after it!

So did he retrieve the disc?

If he did, how did he get it down? You can't risk throwing it (too many branches), you don't want to risk dropping it to the boat, I'm guessing he slid in the back of his waistband and climbed back down.

I have gone above and below to find discs. I recall playing a casual round and somebody threw my Buzzz (I loaned them) into the lake....without hesitation I jumped in and went diving. They were all wanting to move on and wondered what I was thinking.....10 mins later...I found it, had to dive down over my head and avoid some fishing lures, broken glass and snapping turtles but I found it! - I have wadded in swamps, climbed trees, stayed out til dark, then come back the next day with hedgeclippers....I do not give up. only time I have given up is when a disc was 40+ ft out in a lake, at that point its really deep and hard to get down there. I do the same for my buddies discs, I keep looking, and I encourage them to never give up. Never surrender, no man left behind THUNDERGUN!!!

I have gone above and below to find discs. I recall playing a casual round and somebody threw my Buzzz (I loaned them) into the lake....without hesitation I jumped in and went diving. They were all wanting to move on and wondered what I was thinking.....10 mins later...I found it, had to dive down over my head and avoid some fishing lures, broken glass and snapping turtles but I found it! - I have wadded in swamps, climbed trees, stayed out til dark, then come back the next day with hedgeclippers....I do not give up. only time I have given up is when a disc was 40+ ft out in a lake, at that point its really deep and hard to get down there. I do the same for my buddies discs, I keep looking, and I encourage them to never give up. Never surrender, no man left behind THUNDERGUN!!!

That is commitment right there.

So did he retrieve the disc?

If he did, how did he get it down? You can't risk throwing it (too many branches), you don't want to risk dropping it to the boat, I'm guessing he slid in the back of his waistband and climbed back down.

Good question. I don't know....they just showed me the photo, after the deed was done.

My buddy will do just about anything to get a disc back. He walked out on the ice to the middle of the pond at Cedar Hills a few weeks back. Come back the next day, search all night, go wading, etc. He is relentless.

Me on the other hand, I just never throw a disc over water that I mind losing. So if it goes in and I can't get it with a stick, I let it go. If a disc escapes me on dry land, well I have my relentless buddy to help me.

Good question. I don't know....they just showed me the photo, after the deed was done.

Wow, that's disappointing! Can you revoke their playing privileges until they let you know what happened to the disc?

Inquiring minds want to know!! :popcorn:

I know the retrieval was successful; I just don't now how it was concluded. It wouldn't have been much of a throw to reach land---especially from that height---as long as it didn't hit a branch, or another tree. Then again, he could have just carried it down. The tragic comedy would have been if it fell, just as he was reaching for it, and disappeared into the water below.

Friend got hit the other day by a baseball sized rock that someone apparently lost in a tree trying to get their disc down. I think it was windy that day, and it hit him as he was approaching his lie. Split his lip.

If you toss rocks in trees, make sure they all come down. I prefer a slingshot and a bag of rubber balls.

Having finished Hobbs and Tyus ahead of schedule, I headed to Don Shannon Memorial, thinking I could squeeze a 3rd course in that day. Get to a very scenic hole #2 - a water carry across some rocks/boulders that create a quick flowing rapids (pix don't do it justice):

Don Shannon Memorial DGC,
495bd752_m.jpg
5a9cdece_m.jpg

I got this. So I launch my driver and it hits the bank across the way.

... only to flip up and roll back toward the raging water! :eek:

Assuming I'll never see that disc again, I walk across the concrete blocks laid out to get to the other side. I make it most of the way, when I see my disc laying on a large flat boulder about 3/4 the way across the rapids.

Can't reach it with my Disc Gator, but think I can get out there to pick it up. Figuring I might need both arms free to balance, I leave my Gator on the far bank with my bag, and proceed to step/hop my way out to the rock... damned if those things ain't slippery. So I make it to the rock my disc is on, reach down to pick it up and my left foot slips out from under me. In about as ungraceful a manner as is humanly possible, I fall backward, instinctively swinging my left hand behind me trying to break my fall, mangling my left pinkie on the rocks. But the real kicker is that as I'm falling back, my right foot swings out in front of me... propelling my disc into the torrent. :wall: :mad:

My finger's dripping blood, I'm pretty much soaked, and I'm standing on a rock with water rushing all around me, hoping I can catch a glimpse of my disc… but nothing. So I rinse my bloody finger off in quickly flowing water. Make it back to my stuff and throw holes 3 & 4… when the sky opens up, like a message from the Lord himself to cut my losses and get the heck out of Dodge.

Here's what the seat of my pants looked like afterward:
attachment.php
The wet rocks on hole 2 at Don Shannon are slippery. Who knew?
Goodbye trusted driver. :( If only I had video...

Latest posts