• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SonorMcNeal's Bag Need Help!

Sonormcneal

Par Member
hey guys, I've been playing for about 4 years now and finally have played in two tournaments and have fallen in love even more with the game, so much so that i want to try and nail down my bag. I have somewhat of a clear idea of what i like to throw so I've tried to make it more simpler than having 25 molds. I've decided to try and use one main disc for each of the driver spots (long-range: 11-13spd, control: 8-10spd, and fairway:6-7spd) with different levels of each to use like the pros seem to lean towards and then fill in the holes for for the special shots needed besides that. I love trying different mid-ranges and for those, i tend to have a separate mold for each shot, and none of them Rocs (only cause i'm not a huge bead fan).

Not that it will make a difference, but i play LHBH and typically, i throw my putters around 250ish, mid-range 280-300, fairway and control 325-350, and max distance is around 375, maybe have hit 400 once or twice.

here's my bag. Let me know what you think! I know its a lot of discs and i don't always carry all of them, but i have them for this idea:

Long Range:
1x S-Line PD2-OS specialty
4x Star Destroyer- different wear (main Long-range driver)
1x Star Wraith or S-Line PD (forehand disc)
1x Champ Mamba- US/roller

Control Drivers:
1x Champ Firebird- duh, everyone needs one and knows what for, lol
2x Star Thunderbird- main Driver in this area
1x Champ Savant (testing from last tourney)

Fairway Drivers:
1x Star TeeBird- main driver
1x Star TL- same, just less fade
1x Opto River- oldest in my bag/ won't replace when lost, but can't take it out til then
1x Leopard 3- straight/ US

Mid-Range (not fully set here):
1x Star Gator- OS
1x DX Shark (retying this after i lost my King Cobra)
1x Pearly Buzzz- Straight (main one for this section)
1x Star Mako- Straight/US
1x DX Stingray- US specialty shots

Putters:
2x P-Line P2- different wear
1x XT Nova - Straight/US

the only other thing i've thought about doing is for each section, treating it like its own grouping and having an OS, 2-3 main, and an US so i would be missing an US for control (maybe RR or Sidewinder) and an OS for Fairway (i have an eagle but am about to get the new commander for an upcoming tourney so that might work there too)

Please give honest answers. I'm open to suggestions and am always thinking and tinkering. I would like to stay in the Innova/Discmania family if possible.

My advice is to drop the wraith and FH the PD2, Destroyers, and Thunderbird. Drop the savant and add a DX Thunderbird to beat up for turnovers. Drop river and TL and add another teebird and leopard. DX teebird and G star leopard maybe. Drop DX shark. Add Buzzz OS or another Buzzz. Add an S P2 for more overstable putter shots. I think these changes would help simplify the bag mold wise and it would be a very complete full bag. Best of luck!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

the only other thing i've thought about doing is for each section, treating it like its own grouping and having an OS, 2-3 main, and an US so i would be missing an US for control (maybe RR or Sidewinder) and an OS for Fairway (i have an eagle but am about to get the new commander for an upcoming tourney so that might work there too)

Someone once posted about the "17 disc bag"... one putting putter, then four discs in each of the four main catagories (distance driver, fairway driver, control driver, mids). The discs in each category would be heavily overstable, stable/overstable, stable/understable, understable (where "stable" means more neutral).

Some may not like that grouping, but it could be a starting point for your overall bag. You have some of that now.

Some other considerations:

- The Star TL is on its way to OOP land. They're getting harder and harder to find, the Proshop has a page for them (at jacked up prices plus the exorbitant shipping), and all "L-mold" discs are seemingly being phased out. So maybe the Teebird, the Leopard3, and then something between them that's a little more stable than the River. I'm making this search myself, so we'll see what we come up with.

- Not sure why you're carrying the DX Shark. If it's working for you and filling a need, by all means keep using it, but it looks like the other discs in your bag would easily cover it. Also, in the understable category, the Innova Mirage is advertised as a Putt & Approach, but let me assure that it's glide and distance are such that it performs as an understable mid. The Mirage kicked the Prodigy M4 out of my bag. Might be something to consider.

- Consider a Champion Sidewinder. It may even kick the Mamba out of the bag.

As ever, JMHO YMMV.

What you're saying is kinda what my thought was. I need to look for that thread. I've thought about maybe an FD or FD2 to replace to TL and River but haven't thrown either. The only reason i've got the shark was that I liked the old one i had but that was when i first started and i didn't want to spend for a premium plastic just yet until i knew its the disc i wanted. I might go get another King Cobra b/c i liked the way it fit in my hand. Do you think the mirage could replace the stingray as well?

I might go get another King Cobra b/c i liked the way it fit in my hand. Do you think the mirage could replace the stingray as well?

Depending on the courses you play and the shots you make, IMHO the Mirage would effectively replace the Stingray. But only your experience with the discs will truly answer that question.

ya, i was looking at the mirage, and i like the thought of the stingray, but i literally only use it for US approaches to get out of a tight space, like i would for the gator. prob not going to drive with a stingray

i've also thought about getting a Rhyno, but wasn't sure if that was too close to the gator or if it could find a way into the bag b/c it was just different enough, thoughts?

So many discs

How much distance difference are you seeing from fairway vs control drivers?

prob between 30-40 feet. I used to use only the TeeBird for everything, but fell in love with the Thunderbird and prob use that disc more than anything currently. I have a TeeBird mainly if i know the Thunderbird is too much disc but i need that shot

I am the same way with my 2nd run C-FD and the C-PD. I hardly throw the 2nd run but it is great to have if I need distance control for the 320-340 range. The gap from mids to PD is just too much sometimes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So i played in a tournament this weekend and finished tied for 2nd. Woohoo! There were a few times during the round where i thought, hmm, it would be nice to have this type of disc for this shot, but overall, i felt like my bag was well covered. However, I did hit up Discgolfcenter.com and ordered a few more discs just to try out and see how they would possibly fit in my bag. I did pick up a mirage, and it will most likely take the place of the stingray. I also, picked up both a Rhyno and an S-Line P2 and i ended up using both on the last day of the tourney and liked both. I also picked up a new King Cobra since i know i liked that and just haven't had a chance to replace it yet. The last disc i got was a Star Tern, just for that wide-open shot for longest distance needed. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet though, but excited about it!

anybody have any thoughts on something super OS that would fit in between the firebird and the gator? I'm hoping for a discmania or innova product if at all possible, but i do currently use a buzzz. maybe a buzzz OS? i know the gator doesn't have great glide, but wasn't sure if there was a lower speed fairway driver that might fit. Or is there not enough space for me to fit something like that in

anybody have any thoughts on something super OS that would fit in between the firebird and the gator? I'm hoping for a discmania or innova product if at all possible, but i do currently use a buzzz. maybe a buzzz OS? i know the gator doesn't have great glide, but wasn't sure if there was a lower speed fairway driver that might fit. Or is there not enough space for me to fit something like that in

I bag a Champion Banshee, which I use to hit certain lines or throw hyzers around obstacles. I don't carry a Firebird (in my core bag), so not sure what to tell you about where to fit the Banshee in....

I bag a Champion Banshee, which I use to hit certain lines or throw hyzers around obstacles. I don't carry a Firebird (in my core bag), so not sure what to tell you about where to fit the Banshee in....

What is the grip like? is it a bigger diameter disc? Is there another disc that the rim is similar to in your hand?

Very similar feel to a Teebird. Maybe a little more "deep" in your hand

i've also thought about getting a new eagle maybe in that spot too. I have an older champion one but i think its beat up a little too much to try in that spot. I also just got the new commander in my last tourney. numbers are 6, 4, 0, 4 so maybe thats what i'm missing, but it just feels huge in my hand

The commander is considered a midrange even tho it's Speed 6. To be honest tho, you probably don't even need a OS fairway driver. You're firebird probably already covers that. It's speed 9, but the lack of glide doesn't allow to go as far, so it'll probably give u the distance of your teebird. If you do want a Speed 7 OS fairway, then I'd say to get a flat MF/glow champion Teebird, a swirly Avery Teebird, or a 1st run brinster. I've thrown and have all 3 and my personal favorite was the flat MF. Redicilously OS.

Latest posts