• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sooo, Paige Pierce disc? Why not?

JoshEpoo

* Ace Member *
Paige was the women's champ this year and, to my eye, has the best driving technique of any woman on tour. She's got a super compact, powerful throw. Frankly, some of her throws look a lot better than many dudes on tour.

I see talk of another Doss disc. So, why not a Paige disc? She says the Stalker is her favorite, and it seems unlikely any of the other team Discraft players will win a world title and swoop this one up. Think she deserves a disc? I do. Think it makes sense for Discraft to give her one? I think it does.

The Stalker is a pretty solid choice for a ladies driver and disc golf players and manufacturers around the world would love to get their ladies involved in the sport. She's got more wins, and a better winning percentage than Emac [this year], and he got a disc [last year]! I feel they should probably do it.

I've heard that they are giving her a PP Stalker. Don't know if that is supposed to be public info but oh well...

She does have awesome form and seems cool from the few vids I've seen

Start up an online petition for her, I'd sign it.

Signature discs aren't designed to reward players. They are designed to sell more discs. If a person sees that world champion throws a certain disc then they will be more likely to buy it. But since the largest market for disc golf manufacturers is males, then marketing a disc as used by a women, even the best woman in the world, may have the opposite effect, since they don't want to throw a 'girl' disc. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it seems to be the way things are.

Signature discs aren't designed to reward players. They are designed to sell more discs.

Wrong, The players with signature discs get a cut of the sales of that disc. Say $1 per disc or something (I don't know how much).

The issue from a business perspective is that it will get written off as a "girls disc". I know that the valk kinda did, but since it is distance champ that probably helped

Signature discs aren't designed to reward players. They are designed to sell more discs. If a person sees that world champion throws a certain disc then they will be more likely to buy it. But since the largest market for disc golf manufacturers is males, then marketing a disc as used by a women, even the best woman in the world, may have the opposite effect, since they don't want to throw a 'girl' disc. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it seems to be the way things are.

Absolutely on the money. And this is likely why after Juliana, we never saw discs for Des Reading or Valerie Jenkins despite the fact that they each won three world championships. If the proportion of female players increases, its a possibility in the future, but not right now.

I'll say it again. DISCRAFT IS GOING TO PRODUCE A Paige Pierce Stalker. I know these things guys.

Wrong, The players with signature discs get a cut of the sales of that disc. Say $1 per disc or something (I don't know how much).
I believe its more like 25 cents.

But still, I don't think the disc manufacturers would put the champion's signatures on there if they didn't feel that it would help sell the disc, and they wouldn't be as adverse to putting a women's champion signature on one, if they didn't feel that it would hurt.

Am I the only one snickering at the thought of a Page Pierce Stalker...

For a commercial, we could have creepy guys, following her around...

Paige Pierce deserves her signature disc, she has a cannon where her right arm should be! she would out drive a lot of GUYS I'm sure. She was awesome at the worlds and would consistently outdrive all the other ladies by 50-75 ft.

Give her the Stalker Discraft!

Haha. She had me by an easy 100-150 ft when we were throwin off for ace money at pawhuska. Really cool chick. And the stalker ad idea. Lol.

Signature discs aren't designed to reward players. They are designed to sell more discs.

Then I would think of it more as a paid endorsement and not a reward. The manufacturer pays the player a cut of the sales, and in return, the manufacturer enjoys increased sales and profits due to the disc being endorsed by the player. If they don't see it increasing their profits, they won't offer it.

Absolutely on the money. And this is likely why after Juliana, we never saw discs for Des Reading or Valerie Jenkins despite the fact that they each won three world championships. If the proportion of female players increases, its a possibility in the future, but not right now.

I'm thinking now might be the time to make it happen. I know the average guy going in to buy a disc doesn't know who Paige is, but the girl is totally legit, and I am seeing more and more ladies on MN courses each year. Those women probably would be more inclined to pick up a Stalker if it was signed by Paige.

Hopefully Giles is right. The Stalker is almost the perfect disc to test out the ladies market with a signature disc. It really is a tweener disc for most men, in that it isn't stable enough to supplant the Teebird, Eagle, Avenger, etc on the stable control driver throne, yet it doesn't offer much in terms of control and distance over a Buzzz. But, it's still a good disc! It's a calculated risk, but it might make a nice "ladies driver" in their line up.