• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sorry if this is a noob question but...

KnownKiller

Par Member
I was looking around to try and find a driver (distance or fairway, doesn't matter) that floats. But can't seem to find anything anywhere. There are a few holes at a local course that I wanna try actually throwing over instead of around but the only thing that I have that floats is a putter and there is no way it clears 250+ft of water. At least I don't think.

Super Lite Boss

These things sail and will beat in over time to become great turn over or hyzer flip drivers

^i gotta remember to tell midnightbiker that

You could try a Dragon, or a Lightning Discs driver.

Or you could learn to put that putter out to 250' :)

Innova dragon and hydra. I'm not a fan of the dragon but I've heard decent reviews of the hydra. Most find the dragon too flippy, so if a lower power player it may be alright.
Light stuff will float if it lands on top but won't pop up if it dives in. Lightning has a handful of floater but I'm not positive on them.

that super lite boss def floats even if it dives in first

field tested

After you get good enough to know your discs and what they will do then you probably won't want a floater.
I was just like you when I started and tried all the floaters from the Epic to the #2 driver and the Dragon.
Every floater disc I tried to throw sucked major balls. You know you still have to wait for the disc to float back to the shore and sometimes the wind does not blow at all. Might be hours or longer.

Lightning #2 Driver floats, and is a lot more stable than a Dragon. As an added bonus, the glow ones are *really* glowy.

^only the one I linked above

I know cuz I have a 150g R-Pro Boss in a pond in Jacksonville... it didn't float

The problem with Lightning "Drivers" for me is they seem like mid-ranges. The two lightning discs I have are the #2 Driver and the #2 Hyzer. I found the #2 Hyzer to be a really solid mid-range, kind of like a Glidey Buzzz, except I am sometimes embarrassed to pull a lightning driver out of my bag despite my ability to make good shots with it.

I was looking around to try and find a driver (distance or fairway, doesn't matter) that floats. But can't seem to find anything anywhere. There are a few holes at a local course that I wanna try actually throwing over instead of around but the only thing that I have that floats is a putter and there is no way it clears 250+ft of water. At least I don't think.

Go with an understable driver. Valk, sidewinder, roadrunner.....and flip it up over the trees. Should hold pretty well before fading out being that they are understable. Stall hyzers i guess you'd call em.

#2 Driver isn't that bad. Not the greatest glide and somehow still horrible in wind, but overall it flies alright. For those times when you don't want to risk a sunken Gazelle or Cyclone or even Buzzz or Roc. If water is in my landing area, I'm considering using mine if I am not feeling at my most accurate that day.

Lightning drivers are pretty much fast mids or slow fairways...thats why they feel that way.

Remember they were drivers when stingrays were drivers. :)

The conundrum of floating discs is that they tend to float way out from shore, just bobbing and smirking at you. Unless you've got a good wind and time to wait, you're hardly better off than if it had sunk.

And though you may eventually get them back, they tend to be lousy discs. A lousy disc that keeps getting returned to you is a mixed blessing, at best.

The Hydra is more of a putter shape, so that probably isn't what you're looking for.

The Dragon is what I'd recommend, but it's a bit of an acquired taste- when I first got it I hated it.
But on my home course there's a water hazard hole that you need to drive for distance on (most water holes are more finesse, this one is just a 'launch it past the pond' one). So I toughed it out, knowing that it'd really make me mad to lose a disc when I've got a floating driver in my bag.

After about 5-10 throws, though, I got the hang of the dragon and now it doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing it on other holes, but I'm comfortable throwing it on the one I bought it for.

You could always just carry a "risk-disc" with you instead. Something in base plastic that you wouldn't lose sleep over sending to a watery grave.

Latest posts