• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sounds like you've got the record at this point

I doubt I can even come close to this but it is a goal to shoot for. Congrats and keep discin'. Hit me up if you ever get to north arkansas.

jesus Martin has over 1000 played in under 5 years? wowzers :eek:

He probably clicked on many courses when he signed up. Otherwise, he's hitting a new course every 1.8 days - consistently for 5 years.

But if you're right, he's probably seeing a shrink in his off days.:sick:

jesus Martin has over 1000 played in under 5 years? wowzers :eek:

Yeah, he actually did that in three, I think. (insert gigantic eek emoticon here because the one we've got can't do that justice) :eek:

Pretty sure he lived in a van and played everywhere, and with tons and tons of folks on here to witness and be awed.

2nd edit: by the way, Martin, I hope you heal well, soon, and we can someday meet & play a round somewhere, if you can choose any courses in the midwest you haven't played yet!

Last edited:
I know about you, Matt, Gregg and Ben...
Any updates on how many courses Matt Walter has played?
For that matter how many courses have Gregg Hosfeld and Ben Calhoun now played?

Gregg said he's at 1163. And last I heard (and I'm sure he's played more since then) several months ago (within the last year anyway) Ben had played his 1100th.

I am currently at 1160, it seems it will stand as such for at least the current calendar year. And yes, I played the bulk of 1000 in less than 3 years. During a time which I was working 6 months a year (no expenses, room and board covered), I would collect seasonal unemployment and live on the road ~4-5 months a year. I did this for about 6 years, only discovering disc golf about halfway through - the first 3 years were traveling to see the sights - national parks, backpacking trails, brewery tours, etc. Then I discovered disc golf and it didn't take long before my travels had much more direction, and with the aid of DGCR I was playing 3-5 courses daily, with the occasional 8-14 course/day crush.

My goal since then had been to hit 100 new courses/year, which I was on track to hit 1200 this year until I decided I wanted to sit on the couch for 4 months...

Last edited:
OK, I'll post just to change that number. ;)

Are we there yet??? :hfive:

Dan, I remember playing at Bryant in MN and talking with some locals about your adventures. You (guys) are famous heh heh.

Last edited:
There's a certain beauty in the freedom that lifestyle allows. It's everything I can do to squeeze in 25-30 or so new courses a year, and I'm not sure how much longer I can keep that up if I still hold to my principles of:

a) Keep the driving time to course time ratio favorable... I don't see the point in spending more time driving than I'll actually spend playing or otherwise enjoying my trip.

b) Not bagging lower rated courses on significant road trips - I don't see the point in using vaction time and money to travel just to play courses that aren't significanty better than "meh." Not saying they all have to be 4+, but when only one out of four courses in a day are 3+, I just figure my time and money are worth more than that.

All depends on what you're goals are. Would love take an extended road trip and just go wherever the hell spontaneity leads me.

He probably clicked on many courses when he signed up. Otherwise, he's hitting a new course every 1.8 days - consistently for 5 years.

But if you're right, he's probably seeing a shrink in his off days.:sick:

Ben Calhoun played something like 700 in one year, in his dash to 1000.

I don't think he did much of anything else that year, though.

I'm glad that I was of some help to your community, DiscGolfStu :) I visited Halifax and Dartmouth when I was in the Navy (many moons ago). And I've played my only French/English (tee signs are in both languages) Disc Golf course on PEI and I've visited the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick in the past. I wishlist a lot of courses because I wish that someday, someway I'll be able to play them.

Sounds like a return trip is in order to your area and when I do I hope we can share the fairway together------------- - +

Any updates on how many courses Matt Walter has played?
For that matter how many courses have Gregg Hosfeld and Ben Calhoun now played?

I'm Matt Walter, my wife and I are at 821 (as far as I can tell, she's got the lead for the ladies). No idea on Gregg or Ben.

Congratulations. Amazing feat for sure, and I'll bet your parents and friend are proud and sharing in your happiness.
If you are out west again soon, play Chavez Ridge in L.A. (overlooking Dodger Stadium) and Verdugo Hills; in Washington, try Shelton Springs, and in Oregon you'd love Trojan or Milo McIver. All are amazing and unforgettable. It would be awesome to play a round with you! Again, Congrats

Congrats, Dan!
You'll have the lead for some time. I am working 60hrs/week and building a new course and starting to design another! I will be lucky to move from 1105 to 1110 by the end of the year.

I liked the reference of what Gregg Hosfeld called himself as a Disc Golf course counting slut. That is me as well (to the bone). And I don't see any shame in playing a lower rated, a 9 or fewer hole course. As every course had a dream of some individual And it was a blessing to us all for that individual and their community to put a course in the ground for others to enjoy.

Not all parks have the room, the topography, the amenities and the $$ to buy state of the art baskets/ and have 12' trapezoid tees. Some of my best stories have come from playing a rec 9 hole course. I'm not after the playboy model or the fastest car in the showroom, I want to play as many courses as God gives me the ability to play.

One of my best stories to come from a 9 hole course that I played wasn't even in the PDGA course directory (at the time when DGcoursereview didn't exist). I was heading north from Pierre, S.D. to Aberdeen, S.D. when I got stuck in a construction zone. I waited for 10-15 minutes before I grew impatient and asked the construction worker if I could go elsewhere. I looked at the map and looked at my directory. And decided that I would head east to Bruce, S.D and play their course. But along the way was a course in Huron, S.D. that wasn't in the directory. As I saw some home made baskets in a park by the river by accident?? when I drove through the town. So I turned around and played that little 9 hole course in Huron, S.D. While I was playing a women in a blue dress and a bonnet on her head came up to me and asked what I was doing. Well, anyone who knows me knows I'm going to tell her everything I know about DG. So we shared a few holes together before she left. Then her son (Wayne) came up to me and asked if he could play. So we shared a couple more holes of me teaching him of how to throw before he left. After playing the course I went back to the parking lot, to when I saw Wayne working on his truck. I stopped to see if I could be of some help. His Mom explained that their truck had broken down and such and I said I'd like to help you all out. So Wayne and I went west into town, to the bowling alley. But before we left Wayne's very young sister asked me if I would bring her brother back (which to me put up some red flags in my head). I told her I would and we drove a mile or so to the bowling alley. I asked to use the phone, in which the person at the establishment told me that I could use the phone , but "Wayne" couldn't!! I told the guy that my friend was having car problems and that I was helping him out! So Wayne called his Dad and his Dad couldn't make it, Then we called his Uncle, who just happened to be passing through town at the time. So I took Wayne back to the park, where I met his Uncle. Everyone was so thankful for me to have helped them out. And The Uncle opened up his wallet and flipped through his bills to which I saw nothing but a wad of $100's bills. He asked me of how much $$ I wanted for helping out his family. I told him that I didn't want any of his money, but if they could say a prayer for safe travels for me that would be fine. So we all left the little 9 hole (unbeknownst to me to start my vacation day in S.D.) to our next destination. When I stopped in the next town to fill up my tank of gas, It was the home of Laura Engels <Little House on the Prairie, fame>. I was planning to buy a bunch of Little house stuff for my Mom, when I told the clerk at the gas station of my story. She told me, That I should of let those people rot, They took all of our jobs. So I gave back all my little house stuff and just paid for my gas and left that town of hate. In retrospect I know God brought me to that town as I might of been the only person in S.D. that day that was going to help out that family. Very humbling.
But that's what makes the World so beautiful, so many different people having different ways of living and playing.
As of right now, I have only 4 DG courses in Ohio that I haven't yet played (that I CAN play, as the other 2 that are listed are not playable to me for whatever reasons). My goal is to play them before the year is up. And then my goal is to play at least one more course that God gives me the ability to play.
Am I going to be the World record holder for "Most DG Courses played" forever and ever??? No!! That's not why I play all these courses. I just love to travel around and see God's creations. I don't see any shame in that. (IMHO), I think once Martin (Matt) get's to feeling better that he will fly away with the most courses played (and if choose to do this, I hope he does. Because he is a good man and a friend that he and his dog Forest and his friend Joe have shared a fairway or more together), but if it's not Martin it will be someone else, because DG is beautiful, it's fun and it's basically free (if you stay in your own backyard and buy a couple discs). Am I truly blessed today to be the top DG course counting slut in the World. (1206 and counting)
May the course be with you all------------------ - +

Very few of us are afforded the opportunity, and lifestyle that allows for this to happen. It's great to see that you know how lucky you are.

Congratulations on your record.

One of my best stories to come from a 9 hole course that I played wasn't even in the PDGA course directory (at the time when DGcoursereview didn't exist). While I was playing a women in a blue dress and a bonnet on her head came up to me and asked what I was doing. Well, anyone who knows me knows I'm going to tell her everything I know about DG. So we shared a few holes together before she left. Then her son (Wayne) came up to me and asked if he could play. So we shared a couple more holes of me teaching him of how to throw before he left. After playing the course I went back to the parking lot, to when I saw Wayne working on his truck. I stopped to see if I could be of some help. His Mom explained that their truck had broken down and such and I said I'd like to help you all out. So Wayne and I went west into town, to the bowling alley. But before we left Wayne's very young sister asked me if I would bring her brother back (which to me put up some red flags in my head). I told her I would and we drove a mile or so to the bowling alley. I asked to use the phone, in which the person at the establishment told me that I could use the phone , but "Wayne" couldn't!! I told the guy that my friend was having car problems and that I was helping him out! So Wayne called his Dad and his Dad couldn't make it, Then we called his Uncle, who just happened to be passing through town at the time. So I took Wayne back to the park, where I met his Uncle. Everyone was so thankful for me to have helped them out. And The Uncle opened up his wallet and flipped through his bills to which I saw nothing but a wad of $100's bills. He asked me of how much $$ I wanted for helping out his family. I told him that I didn't want any of his money, but if they could say a prayer for safe travels for me that would be fine. So we all left the little 9 hole (unbeknownst to me to start my vacation day in S.D.) to our next destination. When I stopped in the next town to fill up my tank of gas, It was the home of Laura Engels <Little House on the Prairie, fame>. I was planning to buy a bunch of Little house stuff for my Mom, when I told the clerk at the gas station of my story. She told me, That I should of let those people rot, They took all of our jobs. So I gave back all my little house stuff and just paid for my gas and left that town of hate. In retrospect I know God brought me to that town as I might of been the only person in S.D. that day that was going to help out that family. Very humbling.

I don't get it. Was it a racial thing? Amish? (blue dress and bonnet were the only clues)

I don't see myself running away with the record any time soon - I'm more or less "settled down" in a more permanent location, focusing on the chaos that is Camp Pepin, building a course in my backyard. But like I said, my goal has been 100 courses/year and will continue to be, though we fell well short this year. My focus on my travels recently has been not as much on course whoring every possible course as seeking out and focusing on the higher rated courses. Though i wouldn't put it beyond myself to run out some day on a couple week 100 course road trip or something crazy.

I don't get it. Was it a racial thing? Amish? (blue dress and bonnet were the only clues)
They we're Mennonites, not Amish. No Racial anything there from me. I forgot to mention that they we're Mennonites. I have in other posts of this story. i'm sorry to leave out an important part of the story today in the post and will never ever do it again.

Latest posts