• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

specs and rules to move DG from kids game to pro sport

Ugh... So bored with the disc golf/ball golf comparisons. Can we just merge the two sports already and get it over with. We all know it's gonna happen someday...

The point of putting is to put the disc in the basket, not to miss. Why would making the targets smaller help that? I think the idea of rolling a ball into a hole is idiotic, ball golf should change the target to be more like a catching basket and have to chip in on the fly., that would be way sweeter.

its not that big of a deal. all they would have to do is get serious with their course/tournament classifications and modify approved targets accordingly.
According to the directory, there are 3915 holes installed just in the U.S. in 2013. And that doesn't include older courses that added holes. At $300-400 per bucket, I don't see parks departments changing those out to accommodate a small minority.

current baskets wouldtn fly with the NT etc.. not that huge of a impact
Thing is the smaller baskets wouldn't fly with scads of recreational players who constitute 99% of course usage, on the 355+ days of the year that there aren't any tournaments. Whose opinion do you think the parks departments have in mind?

and slowly other courses change.
Meaning there will likely be an extended period of time where players will get to play on both types of baskets. Which one do you think they're going to choose?

will the current baskets be the cones of today sure but that doesn't mean they are bad either.
If they're not bad, then there's no need to change them out to accommodate an elite few.

Last edited:
I don't think so. The average player does not care about the PDGA and many do not know it exists. The average player does not carry a bag or more than a couple of discs.

I also don't see many if any parks and rec departments changing baskets because the governing body of a niche sport says so. 18 baskets times an average of 300 dollars is 5,400 dollars. I don't see that happening.

I could see the top tournaments using special "champion" baskets for elite tournaments. That might work for a wow factor. New players talking smack after a round on the local pitch and putt could be informed that the pro play much longer courses and use baskets half the size.

It's funny because I read an article a few weeks back that for the life of me, I cannot find, but it talked about making the size of the hole for ball golf bigger to appeal to more people because of declining numbers. The argument was the exact opposite. The game is too hard for some thus turning away players which I think would be the case if we made baskets smaller. I will keep scouring to see if I can find it. Interesting to say the least.

While we're on this
I belive Volleyball would be more mainstream if we reduced the size of the ball, increased the playing area, lower the net, and finally, hit the ball with a racket.
This is a stupid conversation.
Every grammer Nazi I've met, had a dumb haircut:p

According to the directory, there are 3915 holes installed just in the U.S. in 2013. And that doesn't include older courses that added holes. At $300-400 per bucket, I don't see parks departments changing those out to accommodate a small minority.

Only if you assume that the entire basket has to be replaced, not just the entrapment device (target area).

The other thing is, you wouldn't necessarily need to replace the lower entrapment device (basket) to reduce the size of the target, just the upper device (top), as in the Gateway Bullseye basket. That alone would reduce the replacement cost substantially.

The baskets to ball golf hole comparison is one born out of ignorance. You could get closer - not the same, but closer - if ball golf greens were completely flat and had artificial turf rather than real grass.

Look at professional putt-putt golf. The balls and hole size are equivalent to "regular" golf, but the proportion of 10' putts made is completely different. The top players make 10-15 aces per round - so what?

If every hole in ball golf was a 200ish yard Par 3, most good golfers would have tons of Aces.

I'd say more like 100 yards, but the overall point is right on with respect to course design. Most serious ball golfers wouldn't even count an ace made on a par-3 "executive" course.

With that in mind, how many aces do you have in disc golf played in a competitive round on a par 66 or higher course? Personally, I have one, compared to two aces in my ball golf career - I guess that means in my experience ball golf isn't as legitimate as disc golf...

It's funny because I read an article a few weeks back that for the life of me, I cannot find, but it talked about making the size of the hole for ball golf bigger to appeal to more people because of declining numbers. The argument was the exact opposite. The game is too hard for some thus turning away players which I think would be the case if we made baskets smaller. I will keep scouring to see if I can find it. Interesting to say the least.

Just the first few google hits for "8 inch golf hole"

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/morning-drive-8-inch-hole/

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/07/04/2642655/is-a-bigger-cup-size-better.html

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf/8-inch-hole

The idea kind of goes to the same notion as replacing our standard size baskets with narrower targets only for elite play or for tournament play in general. The regular larger targets are always there and don't have to be replaced for the average player, but can be modified or changed out for tournament play. Bit more of an expensive proposition to change baskets compared to cutting holes in the ground, but maybe someday we'll have a pro tour with enough funding to provide the target modifications for each of their events.

At this stage though, it's definitely no more than a pipedream.

Disk? I thot I pruf red it four speling.:wall:

Another consideration (touched on above) is that with smaller baskets the wait time on busy days will increase. Some courses get backed up with players as it is.

The baskets to ball golf hole comparison is one born out of ignorance. ...

That's the whole point. The two "sports" are not the same. It's table tennis to court tennis.
You clowns are so easily led. Get out of your mom's basement, have a real experience, go actually play disc golf, instead of being keyboard kings. What's worse is I was warned about this grade school mentality, and I did not heed.

That's the whole point. The two "sports" are not the same. It's table tennis to court tennis.
You clowns are so easily led. Get out of your mom's basement, have a real experience, go actually play disc golf, instead of being keyboard kings. What's worse is I was warned about this grade school mentality, and I did not heed.

Nothing I say on the Internet is true....which means I just lied to you.

Eh, it's a differing mentality.

When you sit around listening to 1000 rated players talk, there are ideas like this that come up that are very popular with them in the context of trying to do something that will push the sport more mainstream. Most of them are recycled ideas that have been around for some time becasue lets face it, being a good disc golfer doesn't really make you insightful enough to understand what will make a sport more mainstream. Since these ideas bounce around among the elite players, there gets to be a groupthink among those players that those things are 100% home-run great ideas.

To me a lot of the time when I listened to top players talk the majority of the ideas fell into two categories: Pipe dreams and terrible ideas that would push me away from the sport if they happened. The smaller basket idea falls into both. It's a horrible idea that would be very unpopular with the majority of players, but it's so logistically impossible that I don't spend a lot of time worrying that it will happen.

Nothing I say on the Internet is true....which means I just lied to you.
I used to have an avatar that said "Everything you know is wrong." I should try to find that someplace.

@ Jay Dub: A user named "Tom Monroe" reviewed Inverness Disc Golf Park a few days ago. If that's really him, how cool would that be to have Tom Monroe on the site?

Last edited:
I used to have an avatar that said "Everything you know is wrong." I should try to find that someplace.

@ Jay Dub: A user named "Tom Monroe" reviewed Inverness Disc Golf Park a few days ago. If that's really him, how cool would that be to have Tom Monroe on the site?

Tom is very active on some old timers disc golf/Frisbee pages on Facebook. I wouldn't be surprised if that was him. :thmbup:

The ONLY way you could have smaller baskets would be in tournament setups placed temporarily on ball golf courses. If they want to have smaller targets for the Pro events that would be fine. Changing the standard for every course will not happen. The basket size is fine for us not at the elite level, those elite players though I could see it. When you have McBeast making every putt from 30 feet like it's a gimme then I can see where there can be an issue raised. So if they want to make some smaller baskets for the Pro events I don't have a problem and it would make it even more exciting placing a bigger premium on accuracy on approaches and putting itself.