• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Speed 5 Disc

Thanks everyone for all of your input and suggestions!!!

I'm going to go crazy here and suggest something. How about throwing your Viking with a little bit more hyzer to negate the turn instead of looking for a new disc?

If not: New Viking with higher PLH, Starfire, Orion LF & LS, PD, Striker (be wary of dome and PLH), Avenger, and Crush (be wary of dome and PLH) are all good recommendations.

Dear Bro D: Will you please teach me how to throw with more hyzer? For whatever reason, I can not get as much snap when I throw with my wrist turned down. But, I thought the same thing about the Viking, if I could just keep that nose down more, it wouldn't get that wide right swing.

Both Christy and I throw Orion LS'es. At US womens it was the longest disc in her bag by far.

By a quantum and I dont think you will flip it too much.

If you do then the PD or SL are good choices. They are both still too much for her but work good when you need fade.

I don't think Christy quite has your distance but there are times I hit 300' and she is within a couple feet so its not too far off.

I had a used one of these and I liked it, it was lost in a lake, unfortunately. I will definitely give the Orion LS a try. I will let you know how I like it, Bill! I have heard a lot of good things about Orion's.

I have been throwing both an S-PD and a champ SL recently. The PD is a great sraight disc at your power but it will still be beefy for a while. I have been really impressed with the SL and its ability to work a lot of lines. Like someone said get mid 160's and it will hyzer flip or do big s turns all day.

I was worried I had already had one of these I won as a CTP. But the freak on the front is different, mine looks more like Michael Jackson. That disc is heavy and a little too stable for me. There does seem to be a heavy concensus for the PD. You have me wanting to try it, so I will. I've never thrown it before.

I did also go ahead and use my credits for the Star SL. I didn't really need anything else that was in the inventory anyway.

Someone also mentioned an Orc. I have a few I will dig out and give a shot. My initial thought about the Orc is that I really can't do anything with it that I can't do with a TeeBird. But, I will definitely revisit it. Maybe I can get it a little farther than I originally thought.

If I don't like some of these discs....I expect all of you to buy your respective suggestions off of me in the marketplace later!!! :p

lots of good suggestions already, but i will add to the pile:

have you tried a rogue? it's a little faster than a t-bird, a little less stable and has more glide. big-arms will complain that it's too flippy, but for 375 or less i think it's very predictable.

Our club is going to order some DGA soon, if we get some in the inventory, I will pick one up with some winnings!

Dear Bro D: Will you please teach me how to throw with more hyzer? For whatever reason, I can not get as much snap when I throw with my wrist turned down. But, I thought the same thing about the Viking, if I could just keep that nose down more, it wouldn't get that wide right swing.

I had a used one of these and I liked it, it was lost in a lake, unfortunately. I will definitely give the Orion LS a try. I will let you know how I like it, Bill! I have heard a lot of good things about Orion's.

I was worried I had already had one of these I won as a CTP. But the freak on the front is different, mine looks more like Michael Jackson. That disc is heavy and a little too stable for me. There does seem to be a heavy concensus for the PD. You have me wanting to try it, so I will. I've never thrown it before.

I did also go ahead and use my credits for the Star SL. I didn't really need anything else that was in the inventory anyway.

Someone also mentioned an Orc. I have a few I will dig out and give a shot. My initial thought about the Orc is that I really can't do anything with it that I can't do with a TeeBird. But, I will definitely revisit it. Maybe I can get it a little farther than I originally thought.

If I don't like some of these discs....I expect all of you to buy your respective suggestions off of me in the marketplace later!!! :p

What plastic was the PD you have? P PDs are much easier to control for someone of your distance and the other plastics tend to be MUCH beefier. Some people use them as their overstable.

What I have been using is X Preds, which Marshall Street has now. They are not widely available outside of that, but I only tell you because I've already stocked up on them. lol

Before the Pred, I tried X Avengers (and didnt have much success at all)which will be faster and a little more OS than a Teebird or Viking at first and break in well, but I have to warn you; they do not like nose up at all. Think they might be one of the most nose angle sensitive discs I have seen.

I have an ESP Avenger and is pretty lightweight it is a good turnover disc for me when thrown flat. The PD I have says PD2 on the back and P-Line on the front, the man on the front is very scary looking.

I have never thrown a Predator. We have an ESP in stock that I took a look at for FH.

Throwing with hyzer can be tricky if you learned to throw flat or with anny like I did, compensating for OAT and warp speed drivers. :(

The trick is getting your weight forward and being on top of or over the disc and making sure your followthrough continues on the same hyzer plane of your shoulders instead of slinging back down.

If this guy threw a hyzer, his follow through is bad.
3476268729_348472ed11.jpg

Look at Feldberg, you can tell he threw a hyzer with how aligned his follow through is with his arm. Hmm, tasty form.
08_feldberg_drives2.jpg

You've got a DD2, a distance driver.
DD2_Distance_Driver_2_P_Line_Frenzy.jpg

This is the god-like PD:
PD_Power_Driver_S_Line_Freak.jpg

Throwing with hyzer can be tricky if you learned to throw flat or with anny like I did, compensating for OAT and warp speed drivers. :(

The trick is getting your weight forward and being on top of or over the disc and making sure your followthrough continues on the same hyzer plane of your shoulders instead of slinging back down.

Look at Feldberg, you can tell he threw a hyzer with how aligned his follow through is with his arm. Hmm, tasty form.
08_feldberg_drives2.jpg

This could very well be at the root of my problem. My wrist if very flat when I throw. I used to roll it anny a lot (last summer) and wind up by the baseball field on Hole 16 but I think I've corrected it mostly. (Happens every once in a while now)

I really like that advice with pictures, thanks. It makes sense and seeing how Feldberg executes is pretty cool also. I am going to work on this! I think I've been trying to do it all in the wrist instead of considering what to do with my body during the throw and followthrough.

Now I say, also note Feldy's shoulder plane, and hip plane on hyzer. Its not so much that the arm follows through higher, but its in plane with the shoulder. Focus on bringing the right and left shoulder through low. The reverse pivot is almost always happening when the left hip and shoulder come through off plane on a hyzer intended throw.

Yea, SW, I've noticed when pro's throw hyzers that their shoulders are usually on the same plane as the disc when it flies. When you say bring shoulders through low, I assume you mean by bending forward and putting your weight over the disc.

Also, you're saying if I don't keep my shoulders/hip on the same plane that I will do a reverse pivot?

Yea, SW, I've noticed when pro's throw hyzers that their shoulders are usually on the same plane as the disc when it flies. When you say bring shoulders through low, I assume you mean by bending forward and putting your weight over the disc.

Also, you're saying if I don't keep my shoulders/hip on the same plane that I will do a reverse pivot?

I say, I think this gal's almost got it! I'd call it leaning more than bending over the disc. You can bend over the disc, but that doesn't mean your hips will follow plane. The lean comes more from being balanced while dropping your throwing shoulder on reach back while coming through. This is for hyzer anyways, but most people tend naturally toward anny angles, so that is often easier to learn.

If you lead with the hips, everything else follows easier which is how you should throw. Reverse pivot is basically not linking your hips and shoulders.

Leading with the hip for weight transfer. There's a better vid, but can't find it although this is pretty good too. But basically it has a bird eye view looking down. You want your hip to be closest to the throwing line before you land your plant foot. Your foot will eventually be closer to the line as it comes down. There is point of diminishing returns getting too forward though.

Watch Steve's shoulder and hips. The left hip finishes lower than the right and maintains plane with the shoulders. Its hard to see the hip lead since this is a rear view. FYI this is one of the sickest throws I've seen almost 600', and he just walks right out of it like it was nothing even with all that momentum coming into the hit.

Nice hustle SW22!

*pats sidewinder on the butt*

Now lookit here sister, one other thing to add about the shoulder, when I say dropping the right shoulder on hyzer reach back, I mainly focus on using the left shoulder/arm and throw it back high, which will drop the right shoulder.

Thanks so much for the info and vid's Sidewinder!!! And Brother Dave, you too! Y'all really do help me improve my game a lot! :hfive:

I read through this thread and I really could add anything else on top of what has been said already. This did catch my attention though. Putting nose down will cause the disc to fly more understable, i.e. more turn. Maybe u just need to release it flat. Everyone says throw drivers nose down, BUT I think a lot of times that's to makeup for the fact that the disc may be too fast/too stable for the thrower. Just food for thought...

I read through this thread and I really could add anything else on top of what has been said already. This did catch my attention though. Putting nose down will cause the disc to fly more understable, i.e. more turn. Maybe u just need to release it flat. Everyone says throw drivers nose down, BUT I think a lot of times that's to makeup for the fact that the disc may be too fast/too stable for the thrower. Just food for thought...

Everyone says to throw drivers nose down because that's how they fly best. They are closer to their intended flight paths, are easier to control, and get more distance with the nose down.

Everyone says to throw drivers nose down because that's how they fly best. They are closer to their intended flight paths, are easier to control, and get more distance with the nose down.

Yep, agreed. Just offering a possible explanation for why it's so. I would add that in wind that I also throw nose up for the same reason (more stability, less turn). Is that just me?

Yep, agreed. Just offering a possible explanation for why it's so. I would add that in wind that I also throw nose up for the same reason (more stability, less turn). Is that just me?

Not in a headwind, I'm definitely throwing nose down. Tailwinds are good for nose up to avoid those sudden dips.

I recommend the Striker or the Avenger. I have both but don;t use the avenger because I have too many other discs that are so similar or faster (destroyer FTW)

Latest posts