• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Speed 8/9 driver Thunderbird alternative

check into the Star FL (Firebird-L). The Star FL is now out of production

Great suggestion, you have any Star FL's for sale?

I'll second the reccomendation for OLF's, great disc and it sounds like exactly what you want. Get one in M and one in S plastic and you should be happy.

So I am looking for something for that flies like a Champ Thunderbird in a non Champ Plastic (Star or Pro like).

You're probably looking for a M-OLF or a P-line PD then. Both have a touch of turn off the shelf (never thrown a thunderbird but hear it has a little bit of high speed turn) but still finish with a decent low speed fade. The sirius/s-line is going to be a bit more high speed stable for both, still with a good amount of fade at the end. I think these are the best plastics for both discs though, as they wear in to better straight flyers than the M/P-line.

S PD will probably start a tad more OS than a C thunderbird but will end up working in to be very similar.

Opto culverin, does all the thunderbird stuff nicely.

Get a pair of them, a 165ish one that you can turn over and a 175 that you can't.

Gives you a nice variety of shots using exactly the same disc, which throwing exactly the same disc is super nice when you're on your 2nd round or more and wore out.

IDK if the OP got his answer, but I want a P-PD now.

Yeah. I think I am going to try an OLF, S-PD, CD2 and Volt to start then. I may look at a couple other suggestion if one of those doesn't work.

I agree with the S-PD suggestions. Though why not just try out a Star Thunderbird? :confused:

I guess I could but out of the three Champions I tried one was too flippy, the other one was a little flippy but usable and the last was just right. At least in my experience Star plastic is less stable then Champ.

FWIW I've been really focusing on developing a more useful FH shot, and the Volt is a great FH disc.

I agree here. I have been working on my FH and a flat P Volt has been the go to. Current flat N Volts fly the same. I'm sure the OP picked the PD though.. Great disc as well!

Latest posts