• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Speed 9 Driver

Stable

* Ace Member *
I think I want to 'disc down' to a speed 9 distance driver for BH. I may replace my Wraith or just add a new mold. I have been thinking about a Valkyrie, Viking, Escape type disc. Something controllable that I don't have to muscle off the tee. Any suggestions?:confused:

Valkyries forever. They are such an amazing speed 9 disc and will give you some amazing lines. Get a star 168 and it will last you forever and do what you want it to do

Valk, Escape, or Saint are all going to be very long speed 9 discs. Trust me, this is a great thing.

The Saint and Escape are great disc. You can cover a lot of different lines with the 2 over their respective plastics.

If you haven't tried the Volt it also is very versatile and both plastics offer good variation, esp once the neutron gets beat in.

And of course there is the PD. This seems to be the control driver I want, but my online only method of getting discs doesn't lend itself well to this mold. If interested you really need to get your hands on them to find the ones that are just right.

The PD falls in the 9 to 10 area, and has great versatility across the plastics.

I like the Valk and the Saint, having thrown them a bunch. There are a lot of good drivers in this range; Valk and Saint are kind of the workhorse type in this slot.

The saint is a great 9 speed. I love mine. I'll also throw out the lat 64 Vision. It doesn't get a lot of love here, but my gl vision is just awesome. It's a bit more understable than a saint. Super easy to jus get bomber distance with it.

i like the valk. I am a RHFH player and am using the valk to teach myself (very darn slowly) a RHBH

Ouch, you didnt even mention the Orion Long Fade. I think its a Wraith top/Firebird bottom so it should feel semi familiar in your hand. I prefer it mid weight in Sirius (Star) plastic.

I think the Valkyrie is my leading candidate. I've been inspired after replacing my Aviar Driver with a PA4 for my 'driving putter' spot. I want something similar to that for long BH shots.

I'll second the above. Saint is nice, and so far the Fury is easy controllable distance.

This is in my wheelhouse. Speed 9 drivers are basically my distance drivers and I place a premium on control. Saints and Valks are great, sneaky long with great glide. The Orion LF and LS are stupid easy to control and feel like long fairway drivers. The PD IME seems to combine the most from both worlds. The Viking is very underrated, Sidewinders are usually pretty good too. Just a lot of good discs in this category.

You basically can't go wrong with anything from the Lat/DD/Westside family, the Orions or the PDs.

If you want to take a baby step down from the Wraith, the Orc is an underrated driver too.

Get a Star Valk ~170 and a SOLF ~170 for headwinds. I put a SOLF back in my bag and am loving it. Long and controllable.

i have two lightweight (161 and 162) 1.1 SOLF's. i use them for distance and control; one is going to turn into a flip machine and the other i am keeping fresh for longer bombs. thing still fights the wind and fades back, too.

+1 for SOLF.

also i have a 168 S-PD and that thing is bauss. gotta start beating it in more so i can flip it a little. i like control drivers that go a long way. these are my bread and butter along with my patriot and rival.

Latest posts