• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Speed break in

I8URZ28

Birdie Member
Looking for the best way you have found to break in a disc asap. IE brand new star destroyer. What do you have.

a) remove flashing
b) tune...bend the wing down, work your way around the disc...no science to how long or how much so you get what you get
c) field...thumbers, spike hyzers

run over it with a tractor.

(just kidding don't do that)

You could do shave flashing off on a teepad, then fine sand it in sand.
6 bend technique (bend it half 3 different angles one direction, then flip disc over and do it again) then flatten it out and work your way around the rim straightening it.
Or my personal favorite, play one disc rounds with said disc.

run over it with a tractor.

(just kidding don't do that)

You could do shave flashing off on a teepad, then fine sand it in sand.
6 bend technique (bend it half 3 different angles one direction, then flip disc over and do it again) then flatten it out and work your way around the rim straightening it.
Or my personal favorite, play one disc rounds with said disc.

lol. one disc rounds with a destroyer :clap:

I don't reccomend the bending technique.
It's too unpredictable and not worth it.

Playing a whole round with it And throwing rollers
Works well for me.

I usually go with the tree method, unless it's something too pretty to tree-smash. The ground works well too.

Most times, I "tune" it just a little bit before I throw it during a round. This is definitely not a fast method of breaking it in though. Perhaps just buy a fresh Champion Tern, it's supposed to be a broken in Destroyer. :D

I did some field hyzers. I am gonna play a couple one disc rounds woth it. Work on some shots o never use as well. Should be fun.

PS: search function doesn't work on smartphone.

I find throwing the disc at hard objects can be too unpredictable. And can go from being nice and stable to so flippy its worthless real quick. I cook them:

1)Find a glass mixing bowl that's rim is very close or slightly smaller than the diameter of the disc.
2)Preheat oven to 200
3)Set disc rim down on foil lined cookie sheet and let it heat up
4)Set mixing bowl on disc upside down and weigh it down with a brick.

I find this gives the most consistent "wear". The whole point is to bend the wing down. I just wanted a way to make it even all the way around. If it needs more you can always repeat.

heres some that have been mentioned many times;

go to walmart, or any other huge parking lot, and throw a ton of rollers.
FH, BH, big sky rollers.

bend the wing down in one inch increments (simulating hitting trees).

remove flashing.

tommies, thumbers, etc.

throw it in a dryer with a towel on low heat for 5, 10, 15 mins.

I did some field hyzers. I am gonna play a couple one disc rounds woth it. Work on some shots o never use as well. Should be fun.

use google and type in: site:dgcoursereview.com
then type what you're looking for, works really well. if you're looking for disc info though, be sure to include "-marketplace"

Works on my iPhone, my buddy's droid, anothers Galaxy, another's HTC, and yet another's Note.....

But to stay on topic, I prefer one or two disc rounds when trying to break-in or just get comfortable with a disc.

Edit:
^^^way to much work
Makes sense, your phone CAN search, you're just too lazy to do it

the best way I found was to buy one in the marketplace. Cheaper than new, beat in perfectly.

Latest posts