• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Speed Rating Quantifying

MEmond

I understand the speed rating is the speed (essentially the power) required for the disc to perform as designed. I also understand that you basically have to be an expert/pro to have the skill/power required to properly throw a distance driver with a 13-14 rating. I'd like to assume I have the power to be able to handle any of the fairway driver speeds (6-8). I just have no idea if I have the power to properly throw a distance driver with a speed rating of 9-10.

How can I determine if a 9 is too much disc for me? If the speed rating is based on the MPH someone can throw, would going to a place that measures baseball pitch speed helpful here? If so, what MPH rating correlates to disc speed ratings?

It's typically associated with the width of the rim.

Quick and easy way to tell is with practice throws. If there's not a noticeable difference in distance between something in the fairway class compared to the speed 9-10 range then keep working with your putters, mids, and fairways. I think most people would say you should be seeing at minimum a consistent gap of 30ish feet between the two, if maybe not more closer to 50 feet. If you're not then there's probably some form in your throw to iron out.

Basically what dehaas said. Also take into consideration the stability. For example, a Firebird and Valkyrie are about the same speed (speed 9, if I'm not mistaken), but a newer player will be able to get a Valkyrie to go farther than a Firebird because it's much less overstable. Speed definitely plays a factor, but stability also comes into play. This is why a lot of am players and folks with slower arm speeds tend to like really fast understable plastic. The disc is fast so it gets from point A to point B quicker, and it's easier to throw since it's understable. I WOULD NOT recommend doing this, though, because fast discs hide bad form really well. Max out around speed 9, and get friendly with your mids and putters.

How can I determine if a 9 is too much disc for me? If the speed rating is based on the MPH someone can throw, would going to a place that measures baseball pitch speed helpful here? If so, what MPH rating correlates to disc speed ratings?

Throw an overstable speed 9 disc flat without OAT. If it is controllable and doesn't crash out way to soon, but rather flies like your overstable mids would, you have used the requisite power.

That's why a noodle arm can throw a Leopard or a Diamond on a flat release and it throws straight and then fades, instead of turning over. The lack of "required power" makes it more stable/overstable.