• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spicoli and Uncle Rico

That's awesome. I had an abbreviated version of this the other day. High school kids were at the park in some kind of lame-ass gym class or something with a teacher watching from a bench. My brother and I played through a couple kids after they threw giant newb-hyzer forehands into the trees. I threw a 300-foot laser and got the "Dude! That's sick!" reaction. As we were leaving one of them yelled, "hey, how do you hold it for that throw." So I ran back and gave him the two minute intro to grip, backhand mechanics, etc. Always fun.

The disc, to his eyes, was doing the impossible... going so much further than makes sense. It's that feeling that had initially hooked me, the feeling that you were bending physics to your will.

Awesome couple of lines...really distills what DG is all about.

I've been playing for four years now, and I still get the same feeling watching a disc fly that I got when I first started playing.

How about some appropriate artwork to go with this thread?

I really enjoy your writing. I had to quit reading your "beware the bad towel" story before I quit breathing from laughter.

Thanks guys, glad that you guys are liking the posts.

I really enjoy your writing. I had to quit reading your "beware the bad towel" story before I quit breathing from laughter.

Good call - the last thing I need is manslaughter charges hanging over my head!

Nice read. As a 19 year old myself, I can tell you that the fact that experienced players helped me and taught me what they knew instead of seeing me as a pest and pushing me away when I was a newb is one of the main reasons I fell in love with the sport 3 years ago.

This is what the game needs....more mentoring and less exclusivity. Good job!

Good stuff. When I go to the school down the street to practice after school hours, I often get these stares from the adults like I'm some pedophile or something when I first arrive and warm up. Then they see me throw and are usually like "holy sh**, did you see how far that went!" The kids love watching me throw when they are there and sometimes I get free disc retrievers. Then they try to throw and it goes 30'. lol.

JohnE is pretty cool and I know he throws bombs! Only thing I'd mention is that yes to throw that far you have to throw HARD, but first you have to learn the rhythm from throwing slow and smooth.

Latest posts