• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Putting 101

zrxchris

Birdie Member
Since rebuilding my drive from scratch is going slow. I thought working on my putting might help me to balance out my gane some while I take a few steps back.

I'm a push / Climo style putter and have improved within 20' with that technique. Outside 20', there can't be much wind, no low Celine and I'm about 50%. So I need to work on my spin.

I wish there were Sidewinder22 drills to help....

So if a spin putt can help me with longer straddle putts and longer outta in general. I just can't get the arm motion. I've watched Beato's putt video, and tried the short arm technique from Blake, but I feel I'm just still doing a push/pitch form and can't get how to bend my arm and explode straight at the basket like I see in the Steve Rico short video.

There don't seem to be any good videos that really break down the mechanics or spin and illustrate some drill type exercises to work on exploding the disc from my hand.

Any suggestions?

snake strike putt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH-RlFIJOKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz0ak4GP_cg

what I figured out is that if you start it [center of disc/wrist] at your belt buckle/belly button then end it straight at the pole then you really can shoot straight wrist putts right at the chains just with a quick snap/flick of the wrist. of course there is legs/abs/butt involved in generating power. its like a 2in punch in martial arts - you don't need a huge arm follow through/build up to get it out there.

once you figure out it really is just a small wrist flick to get a disc out even from 40 feet, the next stage is to figure out where your wrist needs to be in relation to the pole the further out you go. you can keep the wrist center and lofting it a bit for extra distance (the longer the putt if you go center pole with wrist and flick it hard it ends up being an anny/small s curve putt), or you can work with the discs natural fade and start hyzering it and having your wrist end up slightly right of the pole (or left if your left handed).

the local spin putter guru here does this drill where you do the snake strike flick but shoot it straight up towards a spot on a ceiling/overhanging branch. that will build up the wrist/snap action.

personally the hardest part about spin putts is if you have awkward footing... like being forced to use a straddle stance behind a tree.

Cool I'll watch the snake strike vid.

So when your at the "at rest" position of having the disc at your belt buckle.
Should my elbow be bent at that point and how much?
Seems like when I watch that Rico vid his elbow is farther out than the disc at his stomach.

Should my wrist be curled at the last second before release?

Cool I'll watch the snake strike vid.

So when your at the "at rest" position of having the disc at your belt buckle.
Should my elbow be bent at that point and how much?
Seems like when I watch that Rico vid his elbow is farther out than the disc at his stomach.

Should my wrist be curled at the last second before release?

the elbow position seems to be a personal thing. I keep it tucked in right at my side (like keeping your elbow under the ball in proper basketball shooting form). You can see other like Chris Hereen or Rico have their elbows outside. Anthon has his tucked in but ends his wrist snap outward (and uses anny to create a small-s curve). Either way keep it consistent once you figure out what works stick with it [your elbow/wrist positions].

yup keep your wrist cocked (it depends on how much) you can see with all spin putters they do the snap towards the pole (with Hereen he does the snap while his wrist goes right to left, with anton its left to right, rico and dunipace right at the pole).

here you can see Eric McCabe doing the micro s-curves that usually happens when you have a super linear ( wrist from belly button to pole) spin putt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n5U7jdrlCk

the spin putts that I always impressed with is the anny spin putters Anthon and Ulibarri... that requires so much more touch but is very logical (because you use the stability of the disc to your advantage).

Thanks that's what I was looking for.
I normally do the "All In" Scott Papa drill for practice.
Going to work on just spin. And see if I can break my 20' circle

Respectfully, i have to say that i personally don't agree with this experiment. you're already rebuilding your drive, to add spin putting to and possibly start switching between a push putt at one distance and a spin at others i think will only add to inconsistencies.

If you are accurate from 20' and in and are happy with your push putt from that range, it would seem logical that the best thing would be to work on improving the range of the putt you're already throwing. There are plenty of really excellent push putters who can putt in the wind and can putt despite all but the lowest of ceilings. I would work on "springing" your fingers as you release to putt to add distance without compromising your form. Just my 2 cents.

Respectfully, i have to say that i personally don't agree with this experiment. you're already rebuilding your drive, to add spin putting to and possibly start switching between a push putt at one distance and a spin at others i think will only add to inconsistencies.

If you are accurate from 20' and in and are happy with your push putt from that range, it would seem logical that the best thing would be to work on improving the range of the putt you're already throwing. There are plenty of really excellent push putters who can putt in the wind and can putt despite all but the lowest of ceilings. I would work on "springing" your fingers as you release to putt to add distance without compromising your form. Just my 2 cents.

IMO, stretching push putting range will cause more inaccuracy than shortening spin putting range. Wind won't push a spin putt as much as a push putt, and the "lowest of ceilings" also limit push putting. I'm not saying pros can't hit jump putts, but I never see them go in at the course. I guess the main point is you need to be an "excellent push putter" to excel with this putting style, especially outside the circle. McBeth helped me get Feldberg out of my head. Watch his elbow bend, and how he uses it to stretch his putting range.

learning all three main types of putting (straddle/push/spin) can only be beneficial because they all have specific advantages. sometimes one type is a LOT better per situation (like pitch/straddle putting to avoid going OB) or spin putting in the wind. sure you can force a spin/push putt from behind a tree by stepping to the side, or you could take that lateral step and do a proper straddle/pitch putt.

then there are the combo putting guys who are excellent (like Wysocki who looks like he has a splush putt and McBeth has what looks like a semi-straddle spin putt).

With spin putting, the main thing is to keep it simple. Use what is natural to you and try to land the disc "on" the basket as if it was a table.

Overthinking when you putt will mess you up.

One of my main things is follow-through.... basically snapping your wrist, holding on to the disc, and letting it pop out of your hand. Whenever I notice that I am short-arming the putt, I just purposely emphasize this and my putts tend to start going in.

There is a lot to be said for going for the more hybrid "spush" putt approach. Its a very popular style among the top pros these days with guys like Wysocki and McBeth, and many others. Even a guy like Brinster, who I've heard called "The definition of pitch putting" more then once borrows some spin putting concepts. I remember going to a clinic with Feldberg and Avery in 2008. I distinctly remember Feldberg saying something along the lines of "Sometime in the next 5-10 years a young kid is going to come up who push putts when down hill or in a tailwind and spin putts uphill or in a headwind and win a bunch of world championships."

His prediction hasn't come true like that yet, however more hybrid styles are becoming more and more popular at the Open level, because you can get some of the advantages of either/or and loose some of the disadvantages.

Personally I use a pretty traditional push putt in close. As I start working toward the edge of the circle and beyond I get a lot of hybrid action going. Back when I was a traditional push putter I used to start jump putting just outside the circle. I've noticed a significant increase in consistency now that I'm still staying put out to 45' or so.

I do a good bit of film study when it comes to putting. So for me I look at who I think the top 2 putters in golf right now, which in my opinion is McBeth and Wysocki. Study their mechanics and try and do what they do. It worked pretty well for me

Why can't they think of better names or terms for putting. I've seen numerous people call the same stance, throw, etc. several different names. Sorry not related to the thread but seriously its almost as annoying as it is to have one course to play and a million creeps clogging it up.

Thanks for links to snake vids. Those are always fun. Keep practicing putting.

Agreed. Here's a video from Feldberg on push putting.

http://allthingsdiscgolf.com/disc-golf-vault-putting-dave-feldberg/

Overthinking when you putt will mess you up.

I don't think this can be stressed enough. One of the earliest bits of putting advice I heard from a local pro, when asked about putting was, "just put it in the basket"

It wasn't until I thought about what he said and the context of what he said that it all come crashing into my brain.

The more relaxed and confident you are, the more consistent your putting will be.

Feldberg gave me one piece of advise that I will never forget, and I think its the most helpful single piece of information on putting I've ever heard: Keep your hand/disc on the pole through your hole putting motion. The pole is your target, stay on the pole. Regardless of what style of putt people use, all great putters stay on the pole.

You need to spush putt. The farther out you go the more spin you impart,, but pure spin putting is balls. Same with pure push putting IMO. You need to spush putt and adjust for distance. It's more natural.

Snake strike, lol. Just flick your wrist like it's a rug unfurling with tassels on it. YOur hand is the tassel on a big, ugly Persian rug. Your arm is the rug. Your body pushes the arm to unfurl it. The harder you push, the more flick you get.