• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin vs Speed

Pull is the appearance of the movement. Reality is the disc lags the motion/momentum as long as possible. The whip action.

Maybe the word "pull" is a good cue (or at least not a bad one) for some people, for that first part of the throw. The "out-in-out" or "wide-narrow-wide" part where the "out-in" or "wide-narrow" portion is, bringing the disc into the power pocket. I think it sets other people up for failure because they're pulling in such a way that isn't representative of a throw.

Pull is a bad Que for your brain. Because you'll literally "reach back" then "pull forward" with your arm.
The rest of your body is doing things trying to support the motion your arm is trying to make. Vs your body driving your arm while using a term such as "swing."

Would you use the word swing maybe?

It seems to me the Beato drill is really a push.
The More Snap drill is probably horizontal adduction. That might be called a pull.
The Hammer Pound? No clue.

Beto drill is supposed to help you get the disc out so you dont collapse.

Pull is the appearance of the movement. Reality is the disc lags the motion/momentum as long as possible. The whip action.

Exactly.

Were looking to get the disc rotated/curled into the chest from the rotation that is driven from the brace/body movement.

When we are talking about adding zhuzh to the swing, this is where stuff like the beto drill comes in.

We can let the natural movement of the body drive guide the disc into the chest, but we have to help it get out from the chest. Which is why some people say "out in out" because we have to help it get out. The problem is, people pull tuck collapse, vs out in out.

So the beto drill, used properly, (from my perspective) is to help you learn to push the disc from the pocket out.
The Zhuzh is helping it get into the pocket while assisting the lag and building the lag, but increasing the speed.

I got a bit distracted there with my thought process.

What players tend to do is get "pull" in their head, and instead of building off the lag, they destroy the kinetic chain and pull through the lag and get out of time.

Does that make sense?

Maybe the word "pull" is a good cue (or at least not a bad one) for some people, for that first part of the throw. The "out-in-out" or "wide-narrow-wide" part where the "out-in" or "wide-narrow" portion is, bringing the disc into the power pocket. I think it sets other people up for failure because they're pulling in such a way that isn't representative of a throw.
Would you use the word swing maybe?

It seems to me the Beato drill is really a push.
The More Snap drill is probably horizontal adduction. That might be called a pull.
The Hammer Pound? No clue.

Yeah the late power I'm talking about seems to come during/after the power pocket.

When I sit into the door frame and my lower body starts the swing, I don't feel like I need to pull the disc into the power pocket.

Tech Disc, David Wiggins and I are going to try to do some real world testing of their sim at USDGC. It won't be real science because it won't be in a controlled environment but it may give us an idea if their sim is anywhere in the ballpark of reality.
Any results from this?

Tech Disc, David Wiggins and I are going to try to do some real world testing of their sim at USDGC. It won't be real science because it won't be in a controlled environment but it may give us an idea if their sim is anywhere in the ballpark of reality.
Hi Chris - any word on results of this? Were you able to test the Tech Disc with David?